Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Head change and warranty  (Read 7413 times)

Offline FLLawman

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 TT SE
  • City / Town: Gainesville
Head change and warranty
« on: August 02, 2015, 03:10:05 am »
Hi all,
I bought my '13 TTSE with 13,800 miles on it and of course I lurked on different forums before I made the purchase to see what the issues were. Well I called the dealership that originally sold the bike and the previous owner seemingly took good care of it with maintenance at required intervals to include the recalls. The service manager said that the bike had a "valve adjustment" at 10k but did not have the head replaced. He did not bother to tell me that the head would be replaced only if the bike is still under warranty which I found out from my local dealer. As of this writing I am one month out of warranty. Right now the bike is a little noisy (a little ticking) but seems to be running fine. I'm wondering, if this is a known issue why wouldn't Triumph replace the head regardless of warranty? I'm worried that I may have the head failure in the near future and then I'm stuck with a very expensive repair even if I do it myself.
My cynicism is directly affected by my pessimism which comes from my sarcasm which generally produces a general lack of optimism. Otherwise I'm a very happy guy!

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Head change and warranty
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 07:15:56 am »
The head update was something offered to anyone with a Trophy in the specific VIN range who had concerns about top end noise.

It was not a recall or compulsory but most in that range have gone for it I think. I know I did.

As it is something offered by Triumph to all bikes in that range with noise it should not be tied in anyway to warranty.

Use the search function and you will find several threads on the subject including photos of the letters and update notes from Triumph.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 08:58:28 am »
What cropbiker says is correct, however the "offer" was only made directly to UK customers,
whether they had complained about unusual top end noises or not, and was offered as a free "upgrade".

As Far As I Am Aware, in the US, Trophy Owners had to make a complaint to their Dealer to get this "update",
which is a replacement and modified cylinder head.  Some owners had to be quite insistent to get it !

Having said that, the noise that was being reported by Owners was more of a high pitched "chirping" sound
rather than the Ticking noise you describe.

Here's a link to the original Topic which runs to 74 pages ! Engine upgrade email from Triumph

Cheers  :821:

Offline FLLawman

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 TT SE
  • City / Town: Gainesville
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 03:13:33 pm »
I have read all of the previous posts on this matter and I am still wondering why Triumph would offer the upgrade for free if they are not acknowledging there is an issue. My bike falls within the vin range also but I should think the offer should be extended beyond the two year warranty period to a reasonable mileage limit because there is a vast difference in how many miles are put on the bike in two years.

If Triumph saw the need to offer the "upgrade" in UK and then provide the "upgrade" to US customers who complained I should think that Triumph is acknowledging that there is an issue and not put a time limit on when the "upgrade" can be performed?

Also I saw that some of the posts referred to a 1 800 number for Triumph, I have not been able to find it. Could some please provide it?

Thanks for your replies.
My cynicism is directly affected by my pessimism which comes from my sarcasm which generally produces a general lack of optimism. Otherwise I'm a very happy guy!

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 05:53:14 pm »
I don't know of a 1-800 number.

This is the advertised number for Triumph US Customer Services : (888) 284-6288

Often a good idea to put something in writing "for the record" -
This is their email address : tma.aftersales@triumphmotorcycles.com

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 10:28:08 pm »
Triumph are quite clear in their statements that it is not a warranty issue or a recall or some safety issue.

It in their words is a customer service issue to ensure that owners are happy with their machines they state that your engine is fine and will not fail as a result of this noise but if it becomes obtrusive then they will update the head for you.

Now there is a considerable cost to that and you would argue why would a company do that if it wasn't essential. But isn't customer satisfaction and good service essential? If we as owners are looked after by the brand we will evangelise them accordingly.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 10:52:19 pm »
It in their words is a customer service issue to ensure that owners are happy with their machines they state that your engine is fine and will not fail as a result of this noise but if it becomes obtrusive then they will update the head for you.

Cropbiker is right. That's exactly what Triumph USA said to me when I called about it. Took the bike to the Triumph/Honda dealer in Sarasota that serviced my Bonneville and my Goldwing over the last few years. Since I got to know the senior technician pretty good over there, I let him listen to and take the bike out. He pretty much said that Triumph triples are not know for their quiet purr, but are typically a little noisy. He said that my bike sounded normal and that the engine is actually a little quieter than the Tiger Explorer. The Trophy's fairing helps dampen some of the engine noise. Because of all the service issues that I've heard about related to the complete tear down of the bike and replacing the head (some on this forum), I elected to not have it done. With that being said, I usually get bored with a bike after two or three years and get rid of it anyway for my next interest and acquisition in two wheels.

Offline Studley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 11:21:51 pm »
That's all good but, if I am going to look at purchasing a Trophy in the Vin Range my first question is going to be, have you had the work done? My second question is going to be how much of a discount are you going to give me to assume the "perceived risk?" Even a dealer will want to know when you try to trade it on another Triumph.

Or maybe I'm mistaken.

Studley

tweedy-bunch