Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: dead battery  (Read 18899 times)

Offline big bird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hatfield PA
dead battery
« on: August 02, 2015, 07:22:11 pm »
I know this issue has been brought up before ! I try starting  my 2013 trophy today and it would not start, battery was down to 3.5 volts bike was sitting for 4 day since last used . I charged the battery and pulled the radio fuse . Does anyone know what the normal voltage drop per hour or day when not using the bike . Can not get the bike into the dealer till the end of the month to flash the ECU for the radio .
BB
BB
1979 Yamaha  SR 500
2013 Suzuki 250 GW

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: dead battery
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 12:55:38 am »
*Originally Posted by big bird [+]
I know this issue has been brought up before ! I try starting  my 2013 trophy today and it would not start, battery was down to 3.5 volts bike was sitting for 4 day since last used . I charged the battery and pulled the radio fuse . Does anyone know what the normal voltage drop per hour or day when not using the bike . Can not get the bike into the dealer till the end of the month to flash the ECU for the radio .
BB
After the first hour of the engine being stopped (so the battery falls down to its real voltage), in four days, you shouldn't even be able to measure much difference in the voltage. I would guess less than a 20th of a volt. The TTSE normally draws "peaks" of 14 ma and most of that is from the red LED that flashes when the key is out.

The battery dropping down to 3.5 volts in four days is showing a serious problem and is very bad for the battery.

BTW, not all TTSE's have this problem. I do NOT have the update, my battery is about two years old and I have no trace of this problem.

However, I have had the "no device found" problem twice in two years, where I had to reset from the audio fuse.  I don't know if the software update has any affect on that.

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline big bird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 02:00:09 am »
Thanks DON TOM for the info
The battery voltage has been holding around 12.67 volts for the last 5 hours I will keep checking it for the next few day . Leaving on a 1000 miles trip next week hope the bike does not let me down . I had no problem with the bike for the last two years, maybe that the reason the only give you a two year warranty.
BB
BB
1979 Yamaha  SR 500
2013 Suzuki 250 GW

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 02:03:31 am »
I am apparently still having problems after two batteries, a new audio unit and the latest firmware updates. I'm not happy.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 02:37:22 am »
*Originally Posted by Bludy L [+]
I am apparently still having problems after two batteries, a new audio unit and the latest firmware updates. I'm not happy.
Have you measured your total battery drain in ma? There are other things that can cause problems. Check what ever is connected to the battery BEFORE the ignition switch. Besides the audio module, there are diodes in the alternator and IIRC, even the ABS module has voltage on it with the key out. Any of these items could be drawing excessive current.

And if I understood one of the other posts in this forum, it is even possible for the update to not upload correctly to the audio module, still have the drain problem, but still show the latest update number. IIRC, another upload of the same latest audio software should  fix it.

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline big bird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 04:54:40 pm »
Bludyl and Don Tom
Did you pull the radio fuse and did that stop the battery drain?
BB
BB
1979 Yamaha  SR 500
2013 Suzuki 250 GW

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 05:03:08 pm »
Bludyl and Don Tom
BB
I never had the audio module battery drain problem. But yes, removing the audio fuse should stop the battery drain problem if it does happen, so you can continue your riding without any audio until you get the update.

-Don-  SSF, CA

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 01:53:22 am »
Bludyl and Don Tom
BB

Prior to the new audio module that was a temporary fix that worked well.

I have great news, I hope. I took the bike to a dealership I've not been to before. The mechanic who works on Triumphs has owned and worked on Triumphs since the 1960s. He rides a Tiger. They were aware of these issues and have dealt with them successfully before. I didn't have to explain the entire issue to them.

I've just been getting an occasional low voltage message at start up and my headlights go off and then back on as the bike starts.

Anyway I'm hopeful that I've actually found a knowledgable service department!!!
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.