Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: A major decision...  (Read 8263 times)

Offline Bearhands

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW R1200ST
  • City / Town: Consett
A major decision...
« on: August 09, 2015, 09:13:38 pm »
 I'm new here, and here for one reason...should I sign on the dotted line?

I have had my BMW R1200ST for nearly four years and it has served me well. It replaced a Tiger 1050SE but the Tiger and I didn't gel. Wasn't impressed by the build, the way the dealer's PDI left the woesome headlamps unadjusted, the AWFUL luggage and worst of all, the minuscule clock!!!  Loved the triple's get up and go, but I knew about that having had two earlier 955's. So, as someone who owned one of the original Daytona 1200 and even a Trophy 1200 from the early days. But my heart was swayed by a BMW R1100s and many years and lots of European trips, it started to be difficult (oh, BMW seals...) and so when the Tiger went it was for the R1200ST.

Now the local Triumph dealer is making me sensible offers on PCP for their demo bike.  I've slept on it and not having ridden the 1200SE yet, I'm needing a bit of a push. Should I do it? Will try it early next week. I guess this site must be full of unbiased adults!!  :084:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: A major decision...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 09:28:36 pm »
Hi bear hands and welcome to the forum :400:

There is a degree of bias in here but we are also honest enough to give a fair view.

Many converts from BMW in here, myself included coming from a K1200S.

I test rode both the R1200RT and the K1600GT immediately prior to the TTSE and the TTSE was the winner no doubt. The R1200RT had so much vibration my hands went numb after 30 minutes. The K1600 had a great engine but felt like riding a supertanker with the clunkiest of transmissions.

The TTSE had all the kit, the price was good and brought a grin to my face like nothing has in years.

Go for that test ride and see for yourself! Whatever your decision.. Welcome and enjoy!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 09:36:35 pm »
Hi Bearhands and :400: to the Forum !

There are definitely some unbiased Trophy owners in here,
but there also plenty of owners who love their Trophy so much it is difficult NOT to be biased !

Anyway, I look forward to welcoming you again, but next time as an Owner - shortly after the Test Ride  :152:

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 09:47:58 pm »
Hi Bearhands. It works like this:

Check ride.
Love bike
Empty wallet
Join forum.

Simples  :169:
It wasn't me !!

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Houston
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 09:55:59 pm »
*Originally Posted by silverstripes [+]
Hi Bearhands. It works like this:

Check ride.
Love bike
Empty wallet
Join forum.

Simples  :169:

That pretty much covers it all.
Ride it
Decide for yourself.

Offline william

• Trophy Pro
  • its not your beliefs that make you a better person
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Henderson, KY
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 10:12:35 pm »
As Cropbiker stated, the 1600 has awesome engine, but transmission is lacking........I went to get a 1600. To make story short, I stopped at Triump dealer and after several hours of research and test ride I purchased TT. 30,000 miles later I could not be happier.

I test rode 1600 months later, and I made correct decession.

Test ride both, then decide. I have ridden the R1200RT and I like my TT way better, someone else may have opposite opinion.

The only issue I have had wih TT was the battery drain, which was corrected with software update. And had to have a new ignition switch installed because a wire was kinked and would short out at times and cause everything to shut down.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I give the TT an 11!

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 10:18:29 pm »
Eight years and 90,000 miles on my 1150RT and I went to trade up to a 2014 1200RT. I came home with a 2014 Trophy SE instead. 19 months and 26,000 miles later I know I made the right decision.

Offline rwright13

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Oklahoma
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 10:34:30 pm »
Having had a 03 955 ST, 06 GoldWing and now the 2014 TTSE I can say I enjoy it much more than either.  The ST was great but I had too many bikes in the garage and 1 had to go.  I didn't test ride any BMWs, Kawas or FJs but did a lot of reading.  When I did test ride the TTSE it was a done deal.  I got a dealer demo also that had a little over 2,000 miles on it.  (The dealer had been using it as his daily commute.)  Nice thing was all the service had been done and it was ready to ride away.  No gremlins have popped up yet. :400: