Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Intermediate Oil Change  (Read 12885 times)

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Intermediate Oil Change
« on: May 01, 2013, 10:26:07 AM »
A friend of mine who also has a Triumph asked me whether I would be carrying out an intermediate oil change at 5k miles. To be honest I had not thought of it.

His reasoning was that given the oil also lubricates the clutch, it would be appropriate to carry one out as opposed to leaving it for 10k miles.

Thoughts on this anyone?

'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline chrisb1

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: Intermediate Oil Change
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 11:23:12 AM »
this machine is fitted with a relatively high spec oil on a relatively slow speed engine. if you look at service intervals on modern engines you can be at >k10. There is no harm changing your lube more often ( other than the increased environmental burden) but equally i don't believe there is any gain either. Why would you change it....either contamination or breakdown are the only reasons to drive a premature change. The latter is usually related to time or abuse.....I speak as a rider (and mechanical engineer) who does >k10 per year so doesn't need to take account of the time bit....if you are a couple of k a year then changing before k10 makes sense ( this is the reason for the annual service ). In summary no harm done but in my view pointless.

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 01:34:34 PM »
Thanks Chris.

I will just leave it then.

'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 08:26:45 AM »
Robin

Put the money in the tank NOT the engine. It dont need it :087:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 10:28:32 AM »
One of the big selling points of the Trophy was the long service interval. Why do you feel the need to do more work than the manufacturer requires/advises?

I agree with Chaos, use the time and money to put more fuel in the tank and more miles on the bike!

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Ndo

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 09:37:19 AM »
There is no substitute for clean oil in an engine.

Maybe the synthetic oil does not break down and it will lubricate appropriately, but I have noticed that my oil gets darker and darker on my bikes, and that means dirt in getting into the engine from outside...probably through the throttle body.

There is no way I am gonna go 10k on the same oil.

My next oil change will be 3 thousand, then at 7k and then the 10k service.

The first 12k miles are usually the complete break in period. So my philosophy is that during this time, I want super clean oil in there.

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 05:39:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ndo [+]
There is no substitute for clean oil in an engine.

Maybe the synthetic oil does not break down and it will lubricate appropriately, but I have noticed that my oil gets darker and darker on my bikes, and that means dirt in getting into the engine from outside...probably through the throttle body.

There is no way I am gonna go 10k on the same oil.

My next oil change will be 3 thousand, then at 7k and then the 10k service.

The first 12k miles are usually the complete break in period. So my philosophy is that during this time, I want super clean oil in there.

So now your a mechanical engineer  :087: Frightening what little knowledge brings out in people :087: :087:
No engine oil ever breaks down its the additives in the oil? The reason oil gets darker is carbon deposits not dirt, if it were dirt then the engine wouldn't last two minuets all the bearing surfaces would be ruined within very little time of the engine running.
If the correct oil and filter is used then there is no reason to change any earlier than the recommended period set by the manufacturer. They have spent 5+ years in research and development and the oil change period will be well within the actual range that the products will last.
If you want to waste your money then this is entirely your choise :157: :157:

But don't post bollark's that encourage people to waste their money just because you think that clean oil is better oil :157:
Using the correct spec and best quality oil no matter the colour will keep the engine in good working order to the specified period.

I am a mechanical engineer and have been 40+ years my understanding of engine components oils filtration etc has taken most of my life to gather. Not reading a manual then scratching my head and arse wonder what the #### to do next.
Due to the advancement in technology in oil & filter development these sort of distances are only the beginning totally sealed for life engines are on the horizon.

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline Glenn

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wisbech, Cambs
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 06:31:26 PM »
Chris, I'm with Chaos on this one. You would be wasting time and money by servicing at shorter than the manufactuer's recommended periods.
The other comments about oil colour and dirt ingress are indeed nonsense.
I have just retired after 45 years in engineering (last 18 working for a major engine manufacturer as Warranty Manager, among other roles).
Put your money where it will do much more good ie in the fuel tank.
Happy riding bud

tweedy-bunch