Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Coolant Overflow  (Read 5367 times)

Offline dlrph

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 triumph trophy
Coolant Overflow
« on: August 10, 2015, 08:45:06 pm »
Hi everyone

Had an issue over the weekend that I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced:

Rode from Chander, AZ to top of Snowbowl in Flagstaff, AZ. Elevation change from about 2000ft to about 10,000ft. When I got to the top of the Snowbowl noticed quite a bit of coolant overflowing thru the drain hose. Bike had not overheated-normal operating temps and air temp at Snowbowl around 77F. On the ride back temps were in the normal operating range even with ambient temp of 106F.

Other than service overfilling the reservoir can anyone offer an explanation why this occured? The level is right at or slightly below the MIN level.

Before I top off the coolant I need to know if this is a warranty issue...

Thanks for any input :002:

Ride safe(and fast)
Dirk

p.s. trip of 452mi,average speed 61.9mph, top speed 106mph, 52.4mpg(that number is amazing :046:)

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Houston
Re: Coolant Overflow
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 01:00:45 am »
Warranty for what?

I would top it off and keep an eye on it.
If it changes you may have something that needs to be looked at.
Does your bike have any slow leaks?

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 02:21:36 am »
Are you sure it was coming from the overflow? The Trophy has been known to have a leak at the hose that connects to the head at the thermostat that will run down the backside of the engine and come out right under the gearshift. For some reason the hose clamp that holds the hose at the neck for the thermostat is not tight like it should be from the factory. Had mine do it and it's a pain to get to tight up properly without taking off the side fairings. It seems to only show up after the bike has gotten up to operating temperatures. :023:
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 03:20:15 pm »
Don't forget that at higher altitudes such as 10,000 feet the air is less dense (ie thinner) and boiling points are lower. Given your speed description it sounds like you were pushing it.  If it doesn't happen at normal altitudes I would consider it an anomaly and simply top of the coolant.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline gdawg

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: vancouver
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 11:16:36 pm »
I'm continually topping my coolant up
I just had the bike in for the 10,000 mile service and requested the mechanic to  look to see if there were any  loose hoses which would cause any leaks
The report was "no leaks found", yet I still have an issue with this
The dealer also told me it is common on the SE to lose coolant, which I'm not buying
Good to know to look at the hose around the thermostat
I will report back as to what I find :084:
I've gone out to find my self
If I return before I get back, hold me until I get here

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 08:38:26 am »
I agree with w8d4it.
Word of warning to check. When you top up the coolant if you remove the radiator cap take time to put it back on. Also clean the sealing rubber.
The radiator cap will go on but if you do not check it can go on slightly out of alignment. You will notice soon enough as the temp gauge will fluctuate when riding and standing still. Plus you will then see coolant.

It is a bit fiddly I just take off the inner panel by the coolant overflow.

seadog
seadog

Offline dlrph

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 triumph trophy
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 09:37:12 pm »
FYI to all those that responded:

Turns out the problem was my mechanic admits they fill radiators when the bike is still warm(hot), and the Trophy reservoir is smaller than most, so if too much coolant added no room for the extra hence the draining. He checked all fittings and hoses and said everything fine. It even drained a little after he filled it again cool, but since then everything is normal.

No charge to me for any of this, and my mechanic is more than willing to allow me to watch him work and ask any questions free of charge.

Thanks for all your input...

Ride safe(and fast)  :018:

Dirk

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 10:41:11 pm »
Good of the mechanic to admit he makes mistakes but I'm not sure I buy the rationale.  If one checks the coolant level when cold the fluid level will be closer to the minimum line and therefore provides an opportunity for overfilling.  If you check the coolant level when the bike is hot then the fluid level will already be close to the maximum line thereby decreasing the likelihood of overfilling. I still think the problem, if you experienced it only after a hard run at high altitudes, is more related to atmospheric properties. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch