Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: loose accessory port & audio cut out  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Hard Working Teacher

• Trophy Junior
  • Love my bike
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hellertown, PA
loose accessory port & audio cut out
« on: August 11, 2015, 03:43:58 pm »
Hello All,

I have read through most of the threads and have not found any towards this.

The accessory port in the glove box and my rear top pannier seems loose? In other words ( and I have tried sever adapters) when I plug a 12 volt device into the ports is appears sloppy. I have taken a needle nose pliers and bent the to prongs that run parallel to the actual plug ( the male piece) and it helps but still seems sloppy. I am aware the other two on the bike (motor and seat) are an entirely different size and should be purchased through Triumph or the likes. However the one in the glove box and rear pannier special ? OR am I missing something?

Additionally, I have a Iphone 5s. I have occasional problems with the music cutting out while plugged in via USB X . I purchased a high quality heavy duty USB X lighting connection and still have problems. Does the Apple Certified adapter really make a difference or is it vibration?

Your thoughts please
never ride when your emotionally upset

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
Re: loose accessory port & audio cut out
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 05:51:18 pm »
Mine is the exact same way. I think they are poorly made as other have complained about the same issue. I've too tried different plugs, but its not the male, it the female port on the bike that's wrong. What I did to tighten it up was to wrap a thin rubber band around the male plug several times so that its tight against the round male plug. When I plug it in, it takes up the slack and keeps it from vibrating loose. I've placed it towards the cord end of the male plug so you can still see the rubber band when its plugged in. Sounds silly, but it works. I've tried a little silicone rubber bead around the inside edge of the female port, but it eventually wears loose.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:14:52 am by Zebraranger »

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 09:52:42 pm »
One of the problems here ( as I see it ) is that modern equipment is being used with old technology,
particularly when a USB adapter is used in a Cigar Lighter or Hella socket.

Originally, power sockets on a CAR were of the "Cigar Lighter" type,
in the days when everyone smoked and Mobile Phones, Sat Nav's, etc etc hadn't been invented.

The Cigar Lighter socket had a bi-metallic fitting inside which held the cigar lighter firmly in place when it was pushed in,
and the electrical contact was made, until the heat of the cigar lighter element caused the bi-metallic strip to expand
and release its grip on the glowing lighter, which then popped out.

Subsequently, as more devices and accessories came onto the market needing a power supply,
they were fitted with a plug that could be inserted into the cigar lighter socket,
even though it was not originally designed for such a purpose.

As the the device's plug did not heat up the bi-metallic socket,
it remained clamped in the socket and all was usually well.

With further development of products "Hell" introduced a plug & socket designed for accessories
rather than for cigar lighter heater elements, which did not have the bi-metallic strip to clamp the plug in place,
and relied on spring tension from protrusions in the body of the plug, to hold it securely in place in the socket.
These plugs were however prone to working loose due to vibration.

Now we have more sophisticated electronic devices that also need power to operate / charge them
and often have a USB Power ( and data ) connection, so Cigar Lighter / USB "adapters" were developed
to plug into the 12 volt cigar lighter or Hell socket, and having built in circuitry "stepping down" the voltage
to the 5 volts needed for ( most ) USB devices.

The problem on a motorcycle is that vibration will often cause the adapter to work loose and break the connection.

One possible solution, where a USB adapter is being used with no requirement to ever use the Cigar Lighter / Hell socket
with a Cigar Lighter / Hell type plug, would be to replace the socket with a dedicated USB outlet -
one that fits in the same size mounting hole as the Cigar Lighter / Hell socket.

The male USB plug to female USB socket connection is less prone to vibration and is less likely to shake loose !

These are now becoming more widely available, such as this one  12V Dual USB Socket, Panel Mount

( As always I have no affiliation with the seller - I just found the product after "Googling"  :028: )

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 09:54:24 pm by Coconut »

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Detroit
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 02:12:12 am »
*Originally Posted by Zebraranger [+]
...What I did to tighten it up was to wrap a thin rubber band around the male plug several times so that its tight against the round male plug. ...

Mine's the same: loose socket. Thanks for the tip, Zebraranger!

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 03:09:40 am »
I just installed 12V ports to fit what I needed, ie panel mounted coax lugs for rider and pillion heated gear, and waterproof usb 2A for accessories in the front of the tank, run off a switched fuse block located under the seat.  I never use the 12v cigar type outlets, only the hella (powerlet) compatible plugs when needed, such as battery tender, etc..
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Hard Working Teacher

• Trophy Junior
  • Love my bike
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hellertown, PA
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 01:12:41 pm »
Thanks for your help guys
never ride when your emotionally upset