Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Blue Ridge Parkway ride report. End of July  (Read 3372 times)

Offline ColinM

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2014
  • City / Town: Toronto
Blue Ridge Parkway ride report. End of July
« on: August 13, 2015, 03:17:36 pm »
Well we went on the Blue Ridge Parkway trip. Left Toronto, ON on Friday 24th July. The trip was 2 up with my wife over 8 days and about 4,000 km. Lot of weight on the bike I would guess about 450lbs. Could really hear the groans of the front wheel bearings when speeding around curves fully loaded.

Couple of problems with the bike. About 1,800 km into the trip I went to start it and there was zero power, it reset my odometers and other stuff. Almost like someone disconnected the battery. Tried it again 5 seconds later and it started fine. a few hundred km later, I was approaching a red light and lost all power to the bike. Once again put in neutral and it started fine. This happened 2 more times I also had TES errors randomly after starting the bike (about 4) - a shut down of the bike and restart fixed the errors. 

I didn't have these issues before the radio software update. I can't say enough nice things of the power and handling of this bike fully loaded.

Horrendous traffic out of Toronto with the olympics, the highway was slow to stopped and it was so hot out. Took 90 minutes to go 40 km.. ridiculous, then we stopped at the Buffalo bridge and crossed the border

Took hwy 219, 119 which was a really nice highway to Triadelphia PA (near Wheeling WV) with one stop overnight then on to Waynesboro from Triadelphia which was our seconds stop. Stayed at Days Inn, not bad but wouldn't go back. Went down hwy 250 to Waynesboro, absolutely fantastic highway, lots of mountains curves, tight turns and amazing towns and locals. Some of them are from a time that America has forgotten.

We spent 3 days on the BRP and it was amazing. Scenery I will never see again, I would do it again in a heart beat. after 3 days we ended up in Maggie Valley and stayed at Comfort Inn. Went on a day trip around the area.

Headed up 441 to Knoxville - what a great road that was over the smokey mountains :)   After Knoxville trying to stay off the iterstate i75 we took hwy 25 which runs along side it. Not a good road at all so we went on the i75 for the last part up to Lexington. From there we took 62 north East to Buffalo through Ohio amish country side. Very nice. We stayed overnight just east of Youngstown Oh. (sorry to anyone living there but it was a dump and my wife was a little bit scared). we missed the turn to go around Youngstown so had to go right through it.

Had a great trip and would do it again in a hearbeat. Especially the BRP, the guy that dreamt this up of having a 460 mile road through some of the best scenery in the world with no commercial vehicles, stores etc was a genius. Also, no stop signs or lights just pure beautiful riding.

We got caught in a couple of light showers but we didn't change as it looked good further on. 5 minutes from home we got caught in a torrential downpour that soaked me right through in 30 seconds. We were so close we just kept on going to home.

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
Re: Blue Ridge Parkway ride report. End of July
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 04:42:44 pm »
Sorry you had electric problems. Please post here if you get it sorted out and tell us what it was.

Groaning from the front wheel can be the tires.  The original Pilot Roads were really bad at that.  Bad enough to make me pull over and test the final drive and front wheel bearings.  New tires solved the problem until they had about 5000 miles on them.

Glad you enjoyed the parkway.  It is a treasure.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 05:09:55 pm »
I agree that the noise was the tires. Some are worse than others, my Avons really would "sing" a loud tune when  the bike was leaned. The Pirelli GTs not so much. Check your battery connections. A loose cable will cause the problems you described. Just because the connections seem tight it doesn't hurt to torque them a bit.

As far as the trip, I am glad you enjoyed and saw some great scenery. Try the BRP at a different time of the year next time, you will be in for a whole new experience. Seasonal changes are very dramatic up there.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 05:28:43 pm »
Sounds like you had a more than reasonably good time. The Blue Ridge Parkway never disappoints!  The engine cut out issue sounds ominously like the dreaded ECM issue but I don't think that affected 2014s.  So not sure what that could be. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline ColinM

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 05:58:52 pm »
Thanks, my wife was in awwww.. she loved it. I think you might be right about the tires, just put Michelin gt4's on just before the ride

And the loose battery connection might be it as the dealer had it disconnected. Wish I had thought about it.

*Originally Posted by NavyDad [+]
I agree that the noise was the tires. Some are worse than others, my Avons really would "sing" a loud tune when  the bike was leaned. The Pirelli GTs not so much. Check your battery connections. A loose cable will cause the problems you described. Just because the connections seem tight it doesn't hurt to torque them a bit.

As far as the trip, I am glad you enjoyed and saw some great scenery. Try the BRP at a different time of the year next time, you will be in for a whole new experience. Seasonal changes are very dramatic up there.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 06:13:43 pm »
When I got my first street bike at 19 I dreamed of riding the BRP.  Never made it a priority with raising a family and such.  Finally got to ride it when I was 45 and have ridden it many times since.  Never disappoints. 

Glad you had a good trip.  Didn't know there were any Olympics going on right now.

Offline ColinM

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 06:41:48 pm »
It's the PanAm games which have ended and now it's the paralympics. which is almost done.

Offline ColinM

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 11:22:56 am »
Thanks for the info about the battery cables not tight, that's what it was, have to get some blue lock tite. I agree with the tires making the noise when going around corners with the bike loaded.

tweedy-bunch