Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Fuel display  (Read 1981 times)

Offline sungunr

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Arizona
Fuel display
« on: August 15, 2015, 08:06:01 pm »
New one for me, pulled a quick u-turn the other day and I noticed the fuel gauge go to empty, did not recover for a minute or so.   Anyone else had this problem?  Hadn't refueled or anything, nothing changed.  Stopped went into the shop a few minutes, came back out fired the bike up and pulled out onto a surface street then a hard u-turn and it happened. :084:
"That's bold talk from a one eyed fat man"

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Fuel display
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 09:07:47 pm »
Hisungunr,

I don't think you have any cause for concern :

If you were "fairly low" on fuel - perhaps less than half a tank at a guess,
then I wouldn't think that was unusual, and is nothing to worry about.

As the bike tipped over durng the U-Turn, and the fuel level "slopped" over to one side,
the fuel level sensor may well have "seen" an apparantly low fuel state,
and displayed this as 0 bars on the fuel gauge and then, when the bike was righted,
the fuel level will have seemed to increase again.

The Owners handbook states that :
After refuelling, the fuel gauge and range to empty information
will be updated only while riding the motorcycle.
Depending on the riding style, updating could take up to five minutes.
... So there is obviously a built in delay while the fuel gauge resets itself after a refuel,
and your sharp U-Turn has probably fooled the system into thinking you've refuelled !

Cheers  :821:

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 03:01:14 am »
My guess is your are correct Alan.  My beemers would sometimes give errant readings in similar conditions.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 03:00:54 pm »
I find that Triumph uses a "timed average" methods of calculating fuel level for display, based on the recent past history of sensor values.  I've disconnected the speedo while working on the bike, and upon reconnection and restarting, the fuel display would read empty.  It them took a while for the fuel level rise back up to actual.

Other mfrs use better damped average algorithms and probably toss out peak data points that are too far away from the running average.  Triumph needs to do better.

Also, the fact that the Trophy fuel tank resembles a Klingon warship probably adds to the nonlinearity of fuel display.  I can imagine low fuel level sloshing into one wing when you lean the bike over.  As long as the fuel display reads correctly after you ride upright a while, there is probably nothing wrong with the level sensor itself.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

tweedy-bunch