* Recent New Topics

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Drive Shaft Front UJ - Rubber Gaiter fitted  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
Drive Shaft Front UJ - Rubber Gaiter fitted
« on: August 16, 2015, 06:08:01 pm »
Apologies Folks.... I did this a few weeks ago and for some reason forgot to Post about it  :112:

I had previously noted that the Tiger Explorer has a Gaiter fitted and would certainly have preferred to have one on my TTSE....so I ordered one and spent a few happy hours "playing" in my garage.
It's not a straight-forward "Fit" as the Explorer has a slightly different fitting on the front of the Swing Arm to accommodate the Gaiter, unfortunately the TT does not have the same Swing Arm and does not have the appropriate fitting lip.
So a minor "bodge" was involved using a Tie-Wrap and a bit of Duct Tape. It appears to be holding up after a thousand miles or so and no apparent problems with my personal Mod'.

The Rear portion of the (two-part) TT Front UJ Cover had to be cut back by 50 mm to allow the Rubber Gaiter to fit snuggly and also provide somewhere to attach it to with the Tie-Wrap, the duct tape was added just to seal it from the tyre-thrown rain-water, crud and debris.

Fitting is fairly straight-forward, providing you follow the Service Manual Instructions re dis and re-assembly. Use of an assistant or suitable support for the Rear Bevel Housing when you disconnect the Drive Shaft is highly recommended.
I don't anticipate many other Members/Owners will go down this route - so I won't be doing a How-To Guide....but I could be wrong

1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
  • City / Town: Nantwich
Re: Drive Shaft Front UJ - Rubber Gaiter fitted
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 06:19:09 pm »
Interesting mod Gordon

Would it be possible to get a large jubilee clip to clamp it where you have the duct tape or Tie Wrap? Or would it be possible to fabricate something to do the same jobs?
Now got Black TTSE
Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
Re: Drive Shaft Front UJ - Rubber Gaiter fitted
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 06:34:16 pm »
Hi ThreeUp

I did briefly consider using a jubilee clip but dismissed it when deciding to use the shortened rear portion of the Original cover as the mounting point...this is only secured to the Swing Arm using those plastic Screvits Triumph are so found of...
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

tweedy-bunch