Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Clutch broken  (Read 8142 times)

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Clutch broken
« on: August 17, 2015, 06:13:24 pm »
hit my first real problem.  My clutch has stopped working.  Not looked to see what might have happened but feels like no fluid.  The lever just comes back to the bars with no resistance.  Had to negotiate 4 very busy roundabouts by leaving in gear and moving on the starter and picking up the throttle when moving. It was a bit hairy judging how much room I needed before the next car or lorry came round  :005: but got home OK and just stalled it in the drive.  The problem is I have moved and do not know of any dealers round here.  I will take it to bits myself to see if perhaps it is just a fluid leak but it might have been coincidence but it seemed to get worse when hot.  This morning going to Lincoln the lever was strange when I got to Lincoln (15 miles) but was OK again 8 hours later until I got to the outskirts of Newark.  I will go and check it again when it cools down.  If it works when cool at least I might be able to get to a dealer.  Or if I just have to top it up often again I can get to a dealer especially if the problem is in the engine end.   I can not see any leaks at the handlebar end.

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
Re: Clutch broken
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 06:57:14 pm »
Sounds simple enough to find....have you had a good look around for evidence of Hydraulic Oil Leaks, although the Clutch Line is a bit convoluted, especially around the Steering Head.
Thereafter, remove the Plastic Cover over the Slave cylinder on the RHS of the Engine Clutch cover and have a looksee.

If there are no leaks and the Fluid Level is OK in the Master Cylinder then it may be worn seals in either the Master or Slave Cylinders...

Let us know what you find..
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 09:20:23 pm »
Been out taken the top off the master reservoir and no fluid??? Now got to look for a leak.  Thanks for the pointers-- no puddles on the floor but it must be going somewhere?  I suppose the slave might have moved and pushed out a long way but even then I would have thought it could not move enough to use all fluid so down to leak.

Give me something to do tomorrow.  Then new tyres needed.  Got to find places round here.

Offline Trophy Tom

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy
  • City / Town: Hudsonville Mich.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 12:41:16 pm »
Let us know when you find out and what the problem was. Haven't heard any other problems like this
Trophy Tom

Offline 6triumph bob

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 14trophy 09r3t
  • City / Town: nederland
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 07:10:37 pm »
If you do find the slave leaking @ the clutch be sure to change the engine oil after the repair. It will be contaminated with brake fluid. Not a good thing!

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 10:07:54 pm »
True about engine oil.  I need to look to see how to get into the slave.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 09:29:43 am »
Hi John,

Easy enough -

Remove the 5 bolts securing the Slave Cylinder cover ( by the engine Oil filler ), and remove the cover.
( Service Manual says to discard the bolts and use new ones when refitting ! )

Look for signs of a leak.

Position a suitable container to catch clutch fluid,
undo the hose union bolt, and place the hose end into the container.
( Service Manual calls for new sealing washers to be fitted to the union on re-assembly ).

Remove three bolts securing the Clutch Slave Cylinder to the Clutch cover.

Withdraw the Clutch Slave Cylinder ensuring the piston remains in the cylinder.

The cylinder spring will push the piston out far enough for it to be withdrawn by hand.

Inspect the piston, Cylinder inner wall, Piston, Piston seal, and spring for signs of wear / damage / leaks.

Replace any worn / damaged pats.

Re-assembly :

Fit spring to piston using a twisting motion.
Lubricate outside of piston and seal with clean Clutch Fluid.
Refit piston carefully ensuring spring is correctly located,
and that the seal is not deformed as it enters the cylinder.
( If necessary - Fit a strong elastic band or cable to tie
around the piston to temporarily hold it in the cylinder ).
Refit the hose union using new sealing washers.
Fit the Slave Cylinder to the Clutch cover ensuring the push rod locates correctly in the cylinder.
Tighten the three bolts to 11 Nm.
Tighten the clutch hose union bolt to 25 Nm.
Bleed the clutch to remove all air from the system - check for leaks.
Check for correct operation.
Refit the Clutch Slave Cylinder cover - tighten the five new bolts to 4 Nm.

Cheers  :821:

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 09:28:25 pm »
Thanks to all especially Alan.  Weekend job as work is getting in the way even though I cannot use the tt to commute.  Even the sprint is broken (just mirror got broke in the move) although nearly fixed and the tiger is off the road with a sensor problem (won't run under about 4000 revs). So having  to use a car  :006: still should be an easy fix?  The strange thing is that the clutch worked fine I could hold it in and it didn't fade until the master ran out.  I wonder if the slave has come away somehow allowing more movement and just not having enough fluid.  On the other hand it slowly degraded like a leak.  That would feel more like the fluid leaking on initial lever movement before the seal took over in the master?  You always get a squirt when using the lever.