Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Broken rear brake pedal  (Read 12090 times)

Offline Pete Prescott

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 2014
  • City / Town: Somerset
Broken rear brake pedal
« on: August 20, 2015, 04:34:49 pm »
While manoeuvring my Trophy my foot slipped on gravel the bike over balanced so I gently laid the bike down. We all know there heavy bikes my riding buddy helped me pick it up. Fine just a scuff mark on the right mirror. Then the first time I applied the brakes I find the rear brake pedal had snapped. I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this? Surely Triumph could have built in some kind of protection? or am I expecting to much? Repair cost £70 :430:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 04:39:18 pm by Pete Prescott »

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Houston
Re: Broken rear brake pedal
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 06:07:05 pm »
When you drop them, things break.

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 06:14:09 pm »
I was wondering when this would happen - Sorry it had to happen to you Pete Prescott.

Has the Rear Brake Pedal actually broken OR is it the Pivot bolt that has snapped/sheared off ?

Several of us have had the latter and some solutions to stop it happening are very interesting.

Whatever the damage it is much easier to repair than you think - though getting the snapped of thread out of the Crankcase hole may be taxing but not impossible.
If the Pedal itself has broken then PLEASE get the Pivot Bolt replaced at the same time - it will certainly be bent, however slightly, or at the very least severely stressed.

BTW I dropped my Beloved Sophie on her RHS a few months back, at Zero mph in a car park. Numpty. BUT she wears the R&G Adventure bars which, along with a Pannier Skin took all the damage - the Rear Brake Pedal/Lever was untouched
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 06:18:14 pm »
Hi Pete Prescott,

Sorry to hear of this - but these things do happen - and your first Post in the Forum too  :138:

How about nipping over to the New Members Section for a proper introduction ?

Cheers,

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 06:56:08 pm »
I would hope the explorer bikes have similar setups to dirt bikes , but I wouldn't want or expect that on a touring bike. 

Good thing the front brake applies 70 percent of the stopping force, and I believe the brakes are linked as well although they don't feel as linked as the Concours did.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 09:51:05 pm »
Although things do break when the bike is laid down, this is the first time I've heard of the brake lever itself actually breaking.  Unfortunate for you.  But if that is the extent of the damage it is easily fixable.  Actually easier than most paint repairs to a fairing.  The scuff you describe sounds minor so perhaps a bit of rubbing compound will take care of it. 

Also Welcome to the Forum :400:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Nudger

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 2013
  • City / Town: Dartford. Kent
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 08:09:29 am »
Hi Pete,

Welcome to the forum, there's lots of information and support here.

Sorry to hear about your mishap, your in good company, a number of forum members have had similar experiences, including myself!

I agree with your observation regarding damage protection, I previously owned a ST 1300, dropped it twice in the 9 years I had it.  The crash protectors did their job, they had to be replaced, about £25 if I remember, but no other damage. 

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Detroit
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 04:04:54 pm »
 :148:
I jinxed myself by responding to that survey recently that I hadn't dropped by Trophy, but it happened last week, and the rear brake pedal (or just the pivot bolt?) is broken. I've done several searches how to repair but don't see anything about how to take off the panels, in what order, etc.

...a little help?