Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: HOW TO: Mount any after-market top box  (Read 2220 times)

Offline TRPUT

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Brisbane
HOW TO: Mount any after-market top box
« on: August 21, 2015, 12:37:26 PM »
I've just installed a Kapa top box (transferred from my GSXF) to the Trophy.  After reading the process a few people have gone through on here, and sleeping on it a few times, here's what I've done.  Theoretically, the procedure should allow any top box to be fitted to the Trophy.  Hope this is useful.

1) I chose to use existing mounts in the grab rail / rear shelf - the front fixings screwed up through the rear frame.  These SS bolts were cut to length, then painted junction nuts fitted.  If I could have found suitable M8 studs, it would have made the job easier and I would probably have used all 6 potential mounting positions.

2) Plastic cover drilled to accept the junction nuts, then refitted for a cleaner finish.

3) A visit to the metal re-cyclers for a piece of plate aluminium.  Cut to size.  Holes drilled to match the mounts to the bike and tapped to mount the top box plate.  Here's where any top box can be fitted.  Just match the aluminium to the box mounting plate.  If your top box comes with an aluminium base plate, you wouldn't need to fabricate one.

4) Top box mounting plate fitted to aluminium plate - in this case, an SW Motech job to accept Kappa / Givi Monokey Cases.  I just dremelled some clearance in the under side of the SW Motech plate around the bolt heads holding the aluminium plate to the bike.  You could countersink those bolts and avoid this issue.

5) Top Box fitted.  Job done.  Looks good and very sturdy.  Beer time. )

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:50:22 PM by TRPUT »

Online ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
Re: HOW TO: Mount any after-market top box
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 03:56:38 PM »
Nice work! :062:

The best part of this forum is each members willingness to share their experience so we each do not have to re-invent the wheel.

ZShyster

Offline NCScooter

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 77 GL1000,17 Trophy
  • City / Town: F'ville NC
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 02:49:25 AM »
I saw this as I was perusing some other stuff. Bought an aftermarket box and thought I would mount it in a similar manner. Thanks for paving the way!
If I keep my expectations tiny, I don't end up so whiny.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 01:38:08 PM »
Brilliant!  Nice job.  :821:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

tweedy-bunch