Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Rear Bevel Box 20k miles  (Read 2698 times)

Offline kspm

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Herington KS
Rear Bevel Box 20k miles
« on: August 21, 2015, 06:00:45 pm »
Hi everyone.  New guy here.  I finally picked up a used 2014 trophy 2 weeks ago.  Just under 17,000 miles on it when I brought it home.  Last weekend went for a little work related ride 3,000  miles round trip.  I got about 500 miles from home, on the way back, and noticed a strange vibration coming from drive line it seemed.  It is at the dealer now getting a new rear bevel box installed.  The splines in the aluminum hub wore and the back tire was wobbling.  The hub is not a part number so they have to replace the whole bevel box.  I searched but could not find anyone else talking about this problem.

I am curious if anyone else experience the same thing?  What if any maintenance should I do to prevent this happening again.  This one is under warranty but will get expensive if replacement is needed this often.

Thanks

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
Re: Rear Bevel Box 20k miles
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 06:11:36 pm »
This is only the second one I have heard of with a problem. There really is no maintenance after the 500 mile oil change, but some of us do change the gear oil periodically. I came from BMWs and I can tell you they have lots of rear drive failures!

I hope your bike was not abused by the previous owner, but other than that, I guess you just got a bad rear drive unit.
Serial BMW rider

Offline kspm

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 07:33:01 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  It is a relief to hear this is not common.  I didn't think it was.  This is an amazing machine and I plan on putting several miles on it.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 09:13:56 pm »
Haven't heard much on the Trophy final drive failures, but it's true there have been well known issues with some BMW's.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 11:55:36 pm »
Good that it is taken care of under warranty, it sounds like.  I agree the oil in the final drive should last the lifetime after the initial change out, but how often would the typical owner check the oil after that, if replacement is not called for?

Inspection, to me, is not just looking at the oil level.  It's looking at the oil and make sure there are not excessive particles hinting at abnormal weat.  How else could I do that without drainING it?  Yeah, I could pour the "clean" oil back in, but if I am gonna go thru that much trouble, I'd just as soon pour fresh oil in instead.

I'd be willing to wager if the PO had done that, the problem could have been spotted   you're lucky this didn't happen 1500 miles from home.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline kspm

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 12:56:19 am »
I understand checking oil in final drive but this problem is outside the area where the oil has contact.  Sounds like it is a very rare problem that I have.

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 08:51:51 am »
Glad to know you have resolved the problem,  now relax and  enjoy.... :305:
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 11:13:45 am »
The splines in the aluminum hub wore and the back tire was wobbling.

Wrong grade or type of gear oil used perhaps at some previous point in it's life..

My '12 TTSE has also had a Rear Bevel Box replaced at 10K miles, under Warranty, for bubbling Powder Coating next to the Drain Plug
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)