Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: How to shorten a stock kickstand (side stand)?  (Read 5846 times)

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
How to shorten a stock kickstand (side stand)?
« on: August 22, 2015, 01:56:19 am »
I have lowered my TTSE using the lust lowering links, and pushing the forks up .5 inch.  The bike seems OK on the standard kickstand but it might be nice to shorten it .5 inch.  Has anyone tried this, if so, how did you do it, and how would you rate the results.  I have a line on a stock kickstand that I can work on and preserve the original so I can return the bike to stock if need be down the road.

Thanks
ZShyster

Offline kniterider

• Trophy Pro
  • Dont smoke, gamble or drink BUT I DO RIDE
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 14 TTSE 86 GL1200
  • City / Town: Dunkirk, Md
Re: How to shorten a stock kickstand (side stand)?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 06:02:55 am »
I lowered my TTSE and also purchased the ADJUSTABLE side stand as part of the kit   took about 20 minutes to install and I can adjust along with my soupys adj rear link
A nasty weather day riding is still better than any day working

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 02:57:09 pm »
Call me cheap or I could say I want to maintain the OEM look.  I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to take a 1/2 inch out of a kickstand and either weld it back together or pin and epoxy it back together. :084:

ZShyster

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 03:19:02 pm »
I'd sure need to know the welder pretty well before I would cut and weld it, and I would definitely never epoxy it with it being out in the open exposed to the elements that can degrade anything.  Mine is lowered exactly as yours, Lust links and 12 MM up in the clamps in front, and I have no problem with how it sits on the sidestand.  I just make sure I don't park it with the side stand any more than very slightly uphill to level or downhill from the wheels at any time, and ALWAYS leave it in gear since it feels like it is now easier to move it enough for the sidestand to fold up than before.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 07:56:02 pm »
Mine came with Lust lowering links and forks remaining at stock height.  I like the way the bike handles, and the kickstand still gives the bike a good lean angle.  I feel it is safe enough for most occasions where I might use the kickstand.  For leaving my bike unattended for longer than a couple of hours, it goes on the center stand.

BTW, the bike is a bit more work to hoist on the center stand, but still very manageable for me... and my last name isn't Schwarzenegger.

That said, cutting and rewelding the kickstand is no biggie.  I have had shorten kickstands and they worked just fine.  A good welder can do AL or steel stand.

I hope you are joking about epoxy.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 04:11:08 pm »
*Originally Posted by Volfy [+]

That said, cutting and rewelding the kickstand is no biggie.   A good welder can do AL or steel stand.

I hope you are joking about epoxy.
Plus one on that but shortening the kickstand is a pretty permanent mod. Unless you intend to keep the bike forever I'd buy a spare kickstand while readily available.  In 5 -10 years it may not be easy to get one.  At the moment they  cost a relatively low $75
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 05:16:10 pm »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
Plus one on that but shortening the kickstand is a pretty permanent mod. Unless you intend to keep the bike forever I'd buy a spare kickstand while readily available.  In 5 -10 years it may not be easy to get one.  At the moment they  cost a relatively low $75
Absolutely!  I would keep a stock one around for returning back to stock height.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Houston
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 05:36:29 pm »
buy the spare.
Cut and shorten it.
Weld it.