Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: First Ride: First Impressions Part 1 of 2  (Read 12442 times)

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
First Ride: First Impressions Part 1 of 2
« on: August 22, 2015, 07:25:12 am »
I just joined this forum earlier this week and made my introduction under the subject, "CHEERS" on the New Members forum elsewhere here.  I was still in the process of searching for a bike then, but this afternoon I finally took the plunge!  I picked up a brand new, lunar silver, 2014 TTSE this afternoon, and fortunately for me, with only 12 "demonstrator" miles on the clock.  The best part is that I got this bike from my closest local Triumph dealer, only 15 miles from home! 

I got a GREAT DEAL!!!  5.5K off list + "Thank A Hero" voucher worth $500!  (I'm retired US Navy veteran.)  I added two accessories as well in conjunction with the purchase of this new bike; high rise windscreen and heated grips for ~$750 installed.  Expensive niceties, but I got a small discount off these accs for my bike.  Plus, I got  1.99%/48 month Freedom Road financing on everything combined together on a new bike purchase.  I searched nationwide. and believe this was the very best deal I could find on any leftover model year; practically in my backyard!  OUTSTANDING!!!
    :046:
I waited till nearly sunset to ride the bike home - on a moderately warm day -  on its maiden voyage.  These are some of my first impressions of the bike - mostly standing still, in no particular order of significance.

1. This bike is Triumph's newest, top of the line, and most expensive motorcycle; even more than the behemoth sized Rocket.  It is not THAT big, or heavy, but still relatively huge compared to my 2004 Daytona 955i SE, which seems like a "kiddie bike" with both bikes parked side by side!  I'm 71" tall (5'-11") and while standing on the ground, slinging my right leg over the bike while its on the center stand is almost impossible.  Even with the side cases off, this would be a real challenge!

2. Slow speed in stop and go traffic is a real chore.  Albeit, this bike is very agile while over 25 mph, but its top heaviness is quite pronounced at any slower speeds.  It almost seems "wobbly" just before you come to a complete stop and get your feet back on the ground.  Effective slow speed braking in this situation is a bit tricky as well.

3. It took me about an hour to understand and set up the instrument panel LCD.  I got thru most of the important menus, but not nearly all.   The TES, TTC and adjustable suspension settings are the most complicated.  Initially, the most important thing to master is use of the LCD's dual function Menu driven "Call Up" (hold in for 5 seconds) and "Set To" button next to the LH handlebar grip, as well as the Up/Down Scroll rocker switch just above the push button switch.  These two actuators are key to whole menu driven center display!  However, you MUST be able to find and use them with only your left thumb without taking your hand of the grip to change LCD configurations while riding.   Of course, beware, you still have to look at the LCD, (which does not do a particularly good job of highlighting specific menu driven selections) to change anything.  Doing this while riding in traffic is a big distraction and obviously quite DANGEROUS!!!   
     :182:
4. Speaking of distractions, to my amazement there are a multitude of idiot lights on the speedo/tach analog gauges; the most I've ever seen on any other bike or car for that matter!  (BTW, the 'immobilizer" indicator on the tach is the only light that stays On when the bike is turned off.  This light is a particular gem!  I believe it only there to "give the appearance" of an enabled alarm system, even thought the stock bike has no such thing.  That is a $400 Triumph accessory that can be purchased separately.)
    :062:
5. Triumph recommend no higher than 3500 rpm for the first 100 miles, 5000 rpm for the next 200 miles, and no more than 6000 until 300-600 miles is ticked off on the odo.  Not until 1000 miles is a new bike suppose to exceed 8 grand.  All I can say to Triumph is NO WAY, NO HOW!  I got in to the 6-8k range several times during the first 35 break-in miles! 
 :431:

6. According to the center display, it was in the low 70F (OAT) riding home late this afternoon from the dealership, and I did not notice any bothersome radiant heat coming from either side of the fairing.  The LCD's segmented coolant temperature indicator was rock steady in the 4-5 (out of 8 total) segments On range; "normal" according to the owners manual.

7.  I learned NOT to unlatch the straps in either side case and leave them loose inside!  If you do, the side covers will likely smack the ground upon opening.
    :138:
8.  The engine is certainly quieter than my Daytona 955i, and remains so thru the first 2/3rds of the rev band at partial throttle.  Higher up in the band under much more throttle, the engine takes on a much more noticeable and aggressive tone so that is seemingly comes ALIVE!  At full throttle the exhaust sounds awesome, but still not quite the same triple howl on my Daytona.  Close enough thought!!!
    :152:
9.  The TPMS is a very nice feature and appears to be very accurate. My new bike left the dealer slightly over inflated on the front tire, so it has already been beneficial to have this handy feature.

10.  Cruise control is sometimes a bit clunky especially while using the "+" (step up) button in high gear in the lower rpm band.  This feature needs more refinement to be used on all but the most wide open roads, but it certainly works well enough to maintain a steady speed at freeway speeds.  It works in 4th thru 6th gears only, but when you change gears - actuate the clutch - it deactivates, same as all cars.  Leaving the CC On/Off button all the time is probably a good idea, because there are already other ways to deactivate CC.  Thus, this is one less button to worry about while riding.

Overall, this bike is by far a first rate riding machine.  Sadly, it is not selling very well in the U.S., no doubt due to its lofty sticker price.  If MSRP was about 2 or 3K less it would be much more affordable and better value to potential buyers.  Fortunarely, there are an abundance of new, "leftover" 2014 SEs being heavily discounted at Triumph dealers, as well as very low mileage 2013 SEs beginning to penetrate the used bike market at tremendous savings vs. new.  There are no changes between model years since Triumph's first year introduction in January 2013, except for an absolutely gorgeous Phantom Black color replacement to Lunar Silver for model year 2015.

Stay tuned for "Part 2" to follow after I have more seat time, and to add more fully to my first impressions while actually riding the bike. :007:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 06:43:50 pm by dsinned »
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: First Ride: First Impressions Part 1 of 2
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 08:32:55 am »
Hi dsinnned,

Great write up of your first impressions  :028:

As you get used to the Trophy, and certainly after it has run in
when you will be able to use the full throttle range, you will come to love it more and more  :152:

With regards to getting on and off when on the Centre Stand,
if it's just for the purpose of sitting on it to "play" with the controls,
then you can always get a leg up from the foot peg.

If you're intending to climb aboard and then "rock" it off the centre stand to ride away,
I would be VERY wary - as you've commented, the Trophy is HEAVY
and if you don't have both feet firmly planted on the ground,
can result in dropping it  :138:

When on the Centre Stand, try putting the Side stand down, grabbing the left grip with your left hand,
and the grab handle / hole  ( on the side of the frame below the seat ) with your right hand,
then rocking the bike off the centre stand ( not too forcefully that it runs away with you !),
and leaning it slightly towards you so you can rest it down onto the Side stand. 
After a bit of practice it's easy  :169:

From the Side Stand you will be to swing your leg over much more easily !

Looking forward to "Part 2"  :028:

Offline Ptilou62

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 14
  • City / Town: Gaume
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 08:37:49 am »
Thanks for these very objective comments  :016:   ... and regarding the point 5, the bike know now who is the master  :745:

I also look for a new bike as you was and now I'm scared like you said you were 5' 11" tall and you had difficulties to get on the bike when it is on the center stand !!!

Sorry for my bad english, I work on it but ....  :034:
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself. Josh Billings

2003 Honda Deauville
2005 Honda Pan European ST1300
2016 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 08:48:53 am »
Good first review dsinned,    :460:  things will only get better and the grin on your face broader....enjoy    :001:
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 02:42:07 pm »
  :400: to the forum.  I've never owned a bike I couldn't rock off the center stand while on it, and knock wood, have never had one fall over from doing it.  As for being top heavy in traffic, use of only the rear brake in traffic makes it much more manageable, the front brake for the last few feet of a stop is a disaster waiting to happen.  Yes I know from experience.  Hope you enjoy the Trophy as much as the majority of us here.  :821:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 02:53:59 pm »
You will get used to the bike and it will not feel as big or heavy to you. The first 1000 miles will go by in an instant and so I recommend that you do follow the break in procedure from Triumph. They wrote it for a reason...   :821:
Serial BMW rider

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 04:03:04 pm »
One more thing I forgot to say . . . I opted for an extended warranty from a 3rd party offered by the dealer.  This allowed me to gain an additional 60 months over the factory's 2 year unlimited mileage protection.  Now I have 84 months of worry free riding ahead of me for added peace of mind.
 :062:

This bike has loads of high tech electronics, so I felt a long term warranty would be wise.  However, the cost was rather high at $1657!!!  Fortunately, there is no deductible and the cost of the service contract was included in the purchase of the bike itself with 1.99% APR financing.  This way my already reasonably low monthly payments are slightly higher, but still affordable.  However, I'm sure a long term warranty could be had much cheaper if purchased outright, but I got such a good deal on the bike, I did not haggle over the dealer's price of the warranty.

What is the prevailing wisdom of the forum here regarding such matters.  This bike is so far not too long on the market in the U.S., so its long term reliability cannot yet be well understood.  The oldest bike out there even in Europe is probably still less than 3 years old.  Nevertheless, how has Triumph been in honoring the factory warranty and the most typical repairs? 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 02:05:21 am by dsinned »
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 07:06:31 pm »
Thanks for then write up.  Dsinned all I can add is that by running to 6-8000RPM this early in the game you have in fact earned the sinned part of your name  :122:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch