Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Oil leakage Final drive unit  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Eric

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph trophy SE
  • City / Town: Maassluis
Oil leakage Final drive unit
« on: August 22, 2015, 02:10:06 pm »
I noticed a oil leakage under  the housing of the Final drive unit.My tire and rearwheel are covered with some oil.
Does anyone of you deal with this leakage?
Can someone tell me what to do , my SE is now 2,5 years old,  a little bit to young to have a leakage!!!

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
Re: Oil leakage Final drive unit
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 02:14:59 pm »
I had a oil leak from the right side lower cover, but not a final drive leak. Do you know if its motor oil or final drive gear oil? Would need to know which. I would think that its most likely motor oil that's naturally blowing back to the rear as final drive leaks are pretty rare.

Offline Eric

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph trophy SE
  • City / Town: Maassluis
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 02:22:39 pm »
It is smelling  like Final drive oil . But when you say you have a leakage from motoroil, how can the oil end on the leftside of my rearwheel ?

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 06:26:30 am »
Not trying to make a diagnosis over the internet, just asking if you knew if it was gear oil or motor oil. The reason that I asked was because I had one engine oil leak with the Trophy and it was easily fixed just by snugging up the cover bolts a bit, (not comparing it to your leak). But, on my previous bike, a 2013 Triumph Bonneville (different engine, different drive system), I had 8 or 9 oil leaks within the first year (first 2500 miles) ranging from the output shaft seal to the oil galley plugs behind the starter. Some of the oil leaks migrated back towards and on the rear tire just from wind forces from riding the bike without knowing I had a leak. If this is the case with your bike, it would be easily traced as it would leave a trail. It just might possibly be final drive gear oil leaking from your bike, its just not as common a problem as engine oil leaks. Your most likely going to have to trace the leak by putting it on a lift or the center stand and getting underneath for better viewing. Good luck my friend.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 06:30:21 am by Zebraranger »

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 06:42:53 am »
Have you isolated where the leakage is coming from?  It may be something as simple as removing the drain plug, replacing the rear drive fluid and reinstalling with a new crush washer, torqued to the proper spec.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch