Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 4,300 mile road trip/review  (Read 6165 times)

Offline NOLA

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: SE Louisiana
4,300 mile road trip/review
« on: August 23, 2015, 09:16:59 pm »
[smg id=1222]

I just returned from my road trip and thought I would share my impressions of the TTSE.  The trip lasted 9 days, through 6 states and we covered 4,300 miles.  My TTSE only had 620 miles on it prior to the trip so my experience with was limited.  My biggest initial concern was the weight…which turned out not to be a concern at all.  I’m 5’ 10”, 170lbs and I don’t consider myself old but not exactly a spring chicken at 46 years of age. I might add that with the new seat I’m on the balls of my feet.  As long as you move the TTSE around with a purpose and a little planning, the weight is not an issue.  I parked the TTSE at different angles and multiple surfaces and never had a problem.  I grew more confident with it every day. 

Thing I liked:

I found the seating position very comfortable.  I had a little lower back pain after the first the day but it quickly subsided.  The same was true with my right knee.  The upright seating position and easy reach to the bars is perfect for touring.

The screen and fairing work really well together and make it calm and quiet behind the bars.  We did ride in some heavy rains on the last day of the trip and it did a great job keeping me dry.  Also, I rarely noticed any heat coming from the engine.  I was wearing riding boots and riding pants so this may have helped a bit.

I think that the power and handling are really where the TTSE shines.  We rode up to Mesa Verde, CO and if any of you have been on that road you will remember how much fun it is.  Its 20 miles into the canyons with plenty curves.  My friend, who was riding behind me on his Street Glide, commented that he didn’t think a big bike like the TTSE could handle the curves like that.  Being able to pass with authority is also nice…:152:

Plenty of storage, radio, cruise control and heated grips….enough said!

Things I don’t like:

The cruise control switch needs to be moved the left side.  Unless you have giant hands you probably know what I’m talking about.  I found myself just reaching over with my left hand to set it.  I would also like to see the screen and info toggles reversed.  I found myself using the screen toggle a lot more than the info toggle.  Again, if you want to move the screen you have to remove you left hand from the bar.  These are all minor issues and in no way took away from the ride.

You have to be very careful when fueling or you will end up with fuel all over the tank.  I’m not sure what causes this, maybe the little crossbars near the opening, but I quickly got used to it.  Again, not a big deal.

Does anyone else find the transmission to be a little clunky?

The most annoying thing for me was the surging I experienced during deceleration at lower speeds.  It’s not bad but noticeable.  It could be just the nature of the “ride by wire” throttle.  I’ll probably bring it in and see if the techs notice the same thing.

Problems:

Two minor issues…The first issue was after we arrived in Taos, NM.  The bike was sitting in the parking lot for about an hour when I decided to make a run to the store.  I turned the key on and pressed the start button and it just turned over.  It would not fire up.  I tried it again with the same result…now I’m starting to get worried!.. :148:  I opened the throttle slightly, hit the start button and it fired right up…whew!  It happened again later the very next day. It never happened again for the remainder of the trip…  I did detect a very faint smell of gasoline during the first incident so maybe something was stuck open.

The second issue is cosmetic.  When you are looking at the TTSE from the front you will see where the colored fairing meets a black plastic piece which goes back to the radiator.  The seam where these two pieces meet has started to separate.  Maybe the heat in Utah was too much for the plastic and it warped.  I’m sure this will be taken care of under warranty.

[smg id=1224]                                   [smg id=1225]

Wish list: 

Highway pegs integrated into the fairing would be fantastic!  I don’t like the look of the R&G crash bars so it appears I’ll just have to live without them.

Backlit switches would be nice.

LED Taillights on the top case…it’s already powered.

Again, clean up the switches on the handlebars.

I will be adding a radiator screen

[smg id=1226]

The bottom line….I have no regrets with my decision to purchase the TTSE.  It’s a great all around package that fits my needs.  Triumph has done a great job putting this bike together.  I plan on keeping it for a very long time.

On a side note…I got several “nice bike, who makes that?” a couple of “nice Triumph!”  and a few more “nice BMW!”, which I quickly corrected…lol!  I did not see any other TTSE’s on the trip.

For those who are interested about the cost of such a trip:

Gas: $273.83
Lodging: $657.87
Food & Misc: $500

Total: $1,431.70

It would be a shame to own one of these beautiful bikes and not take it on a long trip...just saying.

Sorry for being a little long winded.

Thanks, NOLA         

[smg id=1223]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 01:59:08 am by NOLA »

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
Re: 4,300 mile road trip/review
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 10:40:37 pm »
Thanks for your road trip review.  I wish there were more of these because I'm sure more than a few of us here are also thinking or planning to take our beloved Trophies on a long trip somewhere sooner or later.  Your experience will help pave the way for more of us to do the same.  That is what this bike is really for! 

Just wondering how the SE's TTC and TES electronically adjustable suspension faired for you on this long trip.  Did you just "set once and forget" starting out each day, or change settings "on the fly" periodically as road conditions varied.

THANKS AGAIN for the great write up!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:51:53 pm by dsinned »
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 11:35:23 pm »
NOLA,
I had to laugh when I saw your top photo.  I took a slightly wider shot of the Fluted Wall (with the sign) coming back from the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab.  After that trip, my wife & I decided that we need to ride all over Utah on the Trophy - perhaps this fall. 

Your observations are almost the same that I have.  Never had a starting issue like that, though, and mine shifts great, but it likes to be over 4,000 RPM when shifting.  Glad you're enjoying your BMW... umm... Trophy!   :008:

STONEY

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 01:06:16 am »
The transmission will get smoother, I have 30,000 on mine and only an occasional clunk, it was bad when new. The little cross bars in the filler opening are a pain and also easy to get rid of if you want. I just removed the screws around the filler cap (DON'T drop any in the tank) pull out the assembly, file or cut the four little offenders off and reassemble. Makes filling less of a chore.

Offline NOLA

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 01:17:31 am »
*Originally Posted by dsinned [+]
Thanks for your road trip review.  I wish there were more of these because I'm sure more than a few of us here are also thinking or planning to take our beloved Trophies on a long trip somewhere sooner or later.  Your experience will help pave the way for more of us to do the same.  That is what this bike is really for! 

Just wondering how the SE's TTC and TES electronically adjustable suspension faired for you on this long trip.  Did you just "set once and forget" starting out each day, or change settings "on the fly" periodically as road conditions varied.

THANKS AGAIN for the great write up!

I tested the TTC once by accelerating in gravel and felted it kick in...it worked!  As for TES...I would change it on the fly.  when I got into the twisties I would put into the sport mode and you could feel the suspension tighten up.  It made a big difference.  Other than that I would keep it in comfort mode for a nice smooth ride.

Offline NOLA

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 01:23:18 am »
*Originally Posted by NavyDad [+]
The transmission will get smoother, I have 30,000 on mine and only an occasional clunk, it was bad when new. The little cross bars in the filler opening are a pain and also easy to get rid of if you want. I just removed the screws around the filler cap (DON'T drop any in the tank) pull out the assembly, file or cut the four little offenders off and reassemble. Makes filling less of a chore.

That means I have to put more miles on it.... :001:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 01:30:53 am by NOLA »

Offline NOLA

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 01:29:21 am »
*Originally Posted by Stoney [+]
NOLA,
I had to laugh when I saw your top photo.  I took a slightly wider shot of the Fluted Wall (with the sign) coming back from the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab.  After that trip, my wife & I decided that we need to ride all over Utah on the Trophy - perhaps this fall. 

Your observations are almost the same that I have.  Never had a starting issue like that, though, and mine shifts great, but it likes to be over 4,000 RPM when shifting.  Glad you're enjoying your BMW... umm... Trophy!   :008:

Stoney, we wanted to spend more time in Southern Utah but it was just too damn hot...and that says a lot coming from South Louisiana... :012:  It just zaps your energy and focus which as you know is not a good thing when riding a motorcycle.  It was 102 degrees when we rolled into Moab.  We may try to go earlier in the year next time.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 01:31:21 am by NOLA »

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 08:57:28 am »
Nola

Great write up and glad you enjoyed the trophy as we all do. One point on the fuel fill up. I think most of us have had this problem. operation is to (and I am not telling you or anyone to suck eggs) put the nozzle all the way in and flat onto the plastic piece perpendicular. Then fill, it will auto stop when it reached the plastic,so no splash back.

seadog
seadog

tweedy-bunch