Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 12 minute tuneup???  (Read 4064 times)

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
12 minute tuneup???
« on: August 24, 2015, 06:42:21 pm »
Had a problem develop a couple of weeks ago after having he audio update which I'm not sure if it needed since my symptoms were not dead battery.  The audio just would not come on, period.  No matter, audio update done, problem solved, good, but I digress from the topic.  Next was an issue with rough idle upon cold starting for a few seconds, then an inability to idle when stopped and refueled after reaching normal operating temperature.  Almost like running way to rich, then losing one or more cylinders and going dead multiple times.  Revving it could get it firing on all cylinders, but still wouldn't idle properly until playing with the throttle enough to be able to ride off for no more than .1 mile then it would idle just fine.  OK, just got off the phone with the dealer's service guru this morning describing all the scenarios and checking to see if I could access a fault code to give them.  Can't do that without a dealer tool, but..... he asks if I've done a 12 minute tuneup.  A what?? 
Well, instructions were:

Start it until it will keep running at idle
Let it sit and just idle for 12 minutes
Shut it off
Restart it and see if the problem is solved, should see immediate results
So I tried it, but I decided to kind of duplicate stopping for fuel and restarting, and - wait for it - TA-DA.
Gotta love electronics.
Supposedly this kind of reboots the system somehow.

I do still have audio through both the speakers and bluetooth in the headset with the output set to speakers since the update, but I can live with that by turning down the speaker volume if I'm using my earbuds when on the open road at highway speeds.  That issue is fixed by resetting it to headset, but really not worth even bothering to go back and forth.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
Re: 12 minute tuneup???
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 06:53:16 pm »
Well that's a new one on me  trophied  :187:,   still,  glad it seems to have worked..... :028:
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 07:28:43 pm »
We do similar with the Rocket;
Start the bike without any throttle,
Leave to idle until the fan switches on,
When the fan switches off - turn the ignition off.
Very important not to touch the throttle!

Strange that the tune is also quoted for the TTSE :084:
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 07:38:44 pm »
The fan came on several times during the 12 minutes, no surprise considering the ambient temperature, and I did wait for it to shut off before I shut off the ignition.  When I restarted it I let it idle until the fan came on and shut off before turning the key off.  The BMW K1600's are also one that requires the fan to come on and shut off for particular reasons like checking the engine oil - it has TWO sumps, which is why I let the fan shut off on the Trophy.  Kinda weird how all that works to a non techie.

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 08:10:23 pm »
By "12min tuneup", I think he was referring to "reset adaptation".  For those Triumphs that are supported by TuneECU, it is a recommended step following download of a new map.  You can either force the ECU to go though a "reset adaptation" by a function in TuneECU, or the ECU will periodically do it on its own.  TPS just might not be quite correct if it has not been done.

Pretty sure DealerTool has the function too.  Or, you can wait for the ECU to cycle through on its own... via the 12min tuneup.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 11:08:25 pm »
My first thought was that the TPS was confused since it acted like it was running extremely rich and almost flooding.  Thanks for giving us the "official" term for it, and glad that it worked.  Saved me a 120 mile round trip to the dealer. :028:

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 07:50:50 am »
Hi trophied,

"engine adaption" has been discussed here before - no other equipment is needed to perform this,
however the instructions say to start the bike from COLD, and NOT to touch the throttle,
then leave it alone until the cooling fan cuts in, and then for a further 12 minutes.

I guess that not touching the throttle will be difficult to achieve if the engine won't idle when fiirst started !  :087:

Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC's ) - You CAN read these from your Trophy with NO additional equipment.
They will be displayed on the Instrument Panel.

Instructions on how to do this can be found here : Servicing Data and Reference Information
At the foot of the Message I have included a Word Document
that Registered Forum Members can access and download when logged on,
which explains the meaning of the various codes  :028:

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 02:04:08 pm »
Periodically my audio would just not turn on when I started the bike. This had happened since it was new and the only cure was to remove the audio fuse or disconnect the battery.  The audio update has apparently eliminated that issue as it hasn't happened since I had the system updated.