HOW TO : Remove the Fairing AND Fit R&G Adventure ( Crash ) Bars by Coconut
[Today at 08:47:14 am]

Best BT headset by fluxxcomp
[Yesterday at 11:53:03 pm]

"best" blutooth comms system? by trophied
[Yesterday at 11:42:24 pm]

Which garmin fit the standard triumph mount? by 1675
[Yesterday at 11:15:15 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Looking for suggestions on a new jacket  (Read 7368 times)

Offline audio2u

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Springfield
Looking for suggestions on a new jacket
« on: August 24, 2015, 09:57:53 pm »
Hi all,
After my spill back in February, I decided I'd keep my battle-scarred jacket. It was, after all, still wearable and mostly functional.
But, the couple of holes in it let the rain in. Who'da thunk it?  :001:
So, I've decided that for my birthday, I'll shout myself a new jacket. CUrrently wearing an Ixon (not sure of the specific model).
Budget will be around AUD$400.
My riding is 100% commuting, 50% on the freeway at (officially) 110kmh, and 50% in suburban crawl.
Keen to hear suggestions. If you have a favourite brand/model/style, I'd love to hear about it, and why you like that one.
My bike history: (1) c.1982 Honda CT125, (2) c.1986 Yamaha SRX250, (3) 1988 Honda CBR1000FH, (4) 1989 Suzuki GSX-R750 Slingshot, (5) 2012 Suzuki Boulevard M90, (6) 2013 Triumph Trophy SE.

Offline nigelrtaylor

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for suggestions on a new jacket
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 07:34:16 am »
I have Triumph's very own Navigator jacket. It is partical with good pockets and ventilation for summer. The removable liner makes it nice and warm in winter.

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 08:18:24 am »
G'day audio2u,

You mention commuting, when I was one of you poor souls who have to work I had to wear decent 'city' clothes, if that's the case with you there is only one piece of kit; an Aerostitch Roadcrafter.http://www.aerostich.com/men-s-roadcrafter-classic-one-piece-suit.html, period!

Its way above your budget but you get full abrasion protection, body armour, and weather protection.  I find it's best to buy the right thing once and work out the cost per mile.  My old Roadcrafter is at least 8 years old, it has done about 200,000 miles and is still serviceable and I think I got fantastic value for money.

I have no link to Aerostitch other than am a very happy customer and feel obliged to pass on my hard earned wisdom to all you young pups!  I'm 64 you know! :182:

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 10:31:41 am »
Hi vis is the way I go for commuting.

For the warmer months I wear mesh, and have a hi vis rain jacket I carry.

I like Sliders from competition accessories, Olympia Jackets, and Motoport made my rain jacket.

For colder temps, I have an Olympia one piece suit in Hi vis that is similar to an Aerostich, but within you budget if you can wear 'off the shell's sizes.

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 03:15:37 pm »
I've got more riding jackets than Ivana Trump have shoes.  :745:

These days though, I pretty much wear 3/4 length jackets all the time.  For my locale, it's mesh close to 2/3 of the year because it's so warm.  The rest of the time, I wear leather, which is still the best material for abrasion resistance by far.  My favorite is Scorpion XDR Master Mesh jacket in Hi-Viz.  Since these are for Summer riding and sweat is an integral part of it, I have two that I rotate between washings.  I can't stand wearing filthy jackets.

Dunno what is available locally there in Australia, but I would look more at fit, features, design and quality (material, stitching, zippers, etc.).  For example, I prefer pockets that have both zipper and velcro closure - one for convenience, the other for security, depending on what I'm carrying and length of ride.  Also check if the armor pockets can accept aftermarket pieces.  Quite often the ones that come with the typical jacket are not great, particularly the back padding.  For fit, snaps are less precise for arm adjustment than velcro straps.  You also need to make sure the wrist closure style works with the glove you wear.  Some jacket sleeves are difficult to fit gauntlet gloves.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 12:51:19 pm »
I really like the Navigator gear, provided it isn't raining.  When I bought the gear I was assured by the salesman that it was 100% waterproof.   He lied.   OK, it will keep the wet out if you stop riding and run for cover the minute you feel the first spots of rain.     

However, a short while ago was marshalling a cycle race that was happening on the public highway and was committed to attend.  I left home at 07.00 in the pouring rain and got back home at about 14.00 hours.   It rained heavily for the entire 7 hours and when I started to peel off the gear I found I was soaked through three layers of clothing.  Only my own skin proved to be waterproof.   In 45 years of riding, I have yet to find waterproof gear, although bike clothing has certainly improved over that time.   

I clean and apply "waterproofing" to the jacket and trousers at the beginning of each season, in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions but still I get soaked.   

ON the plus side,  the many vents do actually help keep me cool the rider cool on those rare hot days we get in Essex, ULK.  and it offer great protection in the event of a spill (not put it to the test yet).    :062:

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Detroit
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 02:12:38 pm »
When you look at features per $ (or £, €, ¥ or whathaveyou), I think Tourmaster jackets offer good value.

I personally wear the Transition Series 3 jacket. The jacket has seen a lot of use over the five years I've had it, and while the main front zipper is now giving me just a wee bit of trouble starting up sometimes, it's still a great jacket that I'm not ready to replace any time soon.

The Transition 3 has plenty of vents, pockets all over the place in and out (I use less than half of them) that have both zippers and velcro, outstanding reflective properties that so far are holding up very very well, armor, a warm liner, and the matching pants have good connection functionality. The rain repellent functionality is not something, however, that I've tested out very much. I've been in rain with it, and I've gotten wet, but I can't say I can comment much more than that on that property.

I can tell you, however -- FWIW -- that my next jacket will likely be a Tourmaster. Great bang for the buck, IMHO.  :028:

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 04:57:40 pm »
I like Halvarssen gear.  I have never had a problem and always waterproof.  In fact when I can afford it I am going to get an Amazonas jacket and trouser combination for winter riding.  Not strictly true no problem I did have a zip fail after a year on a summer style jacket that had zips all the way up both sides of the back and they replaced the whole jacket for a new one without quibble.  In fact I took the money and went for the next jacket up without the back zips but still well ventilated.  After about 6 years I have had to replace some of the pulls but they are easy to get.

tweedy-bunch