Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: For those who may still venture to France  (Read 2595 times)

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
For those who may still venture to France
« on: August 25, 2015, 04:05:25 pm »
Just came back from France,  Petrol currently running at 99p / litre and for those with diesel Trophies  :745:  about 80p /litre

G
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
Re: For those who may still venture to France
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 04:48:10 pm »
Talking about France...read an article on a French Site recently,  about yet another bit of  legislation coming in ,  that detailed,  when visiting  France,   not the wearing of `reflective Hi-Vis jackets'  whilst riding,   but to be carried,  as Car drivers currently do, and then worn if off the Bike at the roadside, for example a breakdown or incident.   That's one for rider and one for pillion.    Failure = big fine.   :192:   That's yet  more stuff to carry  in the panniers,....  :112:.   

Personally I think  bloody  `Henry V' ,  is to blame for all this, for what he did at   Agincourt  (1415 )  -  this is just  French Ministers `pay back'   time..... :010:

(  of course also equally affects our French forum members, so perhaps its just all `motorcyclists' being  targeted again ?   :155:  )
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:55:21 pm by Stelyn »
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 04:52:29 pm »
jinx,   Where did you go?   I love France, not just because of the cheap fuel, and I'm thinking of heading off that way soon.   I was considering the north coast to the "Overlord" Beaches taking it pretty easy as the Misses will be on the back.   She's not over keen on speed r long distances.( 250-300 miles a day ). 

Freeway Phil 

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 05:02:53 pm »
Hi Phil, check out this link for the  Normandy WWII  `D' day sites, just expand the `globes' and you can move the map around.   :028:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zHH6WajceyAY.k_fG4YgkJEmE&ie=UTF8&t=h&oe=UTF8&msa=0

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 05:09:31 pm by Stelyn »
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 05:08:01 pm »
Well, that should keep me busy for a while.   Guess I have to start planning the trip.  Cheers Stelyn.   God this forum is brilliant.

Phil

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 05:12:14 pm »
*Originally Posted by Phil Freeway [+]
jinx,   Where did you go?   I love France, not just because of the cheap fuel, and I'm thinking of heading off that way soon.   I was considering the north coast to the "Overlord" Beaches taking it pretty easy as the Misses will be on the back.   She's not over keen on speed r long distances.( 250-300 miles a day ). 

Freeway Phil

Hi Phil

We normally 'do' Normandy/Brittany borders as I used to live there & my wife is from there so we often go back to visit the in-laws, we are only 10 minutes from Portsmouth.  However this time we were down in the Vendee (dept 85).  Usually guaranteed more sun due to it's unique micro climate  http://www.vendee-guide.co.uk/vendee-weather.htm

The wife also rides pillion and seems to enjoy it.  She is one of the reasons I went for the Trophy & not the R1200RT (as we both detested it equally)

Yes the French law (reflective jackets)  comes out in January 2016, so one to look out for.  The French do like bring in some crap laws that most people ignore anyway.  Watch out for the speed cameras as they are all over the place and a  lot of the warning signs were removed, although if you do get flashed, you should be okay as there is no reciprocal agreement between France & the UK.

As long as you don't get caught by the Gendarmes/police for speeding (they love their 'jumelles' - speed measuring binoculars) and they even go to extremes like wearing camouflage and hiding in trees etc.  Never seen it myself, but it does happen.

Anyway back to the North coast.  Yes have done it many times and the Normandy beaches are worth a visit, the concrete 'Mulberry' harbours are still visible in Arromanches.  I used to live near the Brittany American War cemetery (although there are others of course) but I used to go there to give myself some 'perspective'  - You would know what I meant if you go there.

All of that said, France is a great biking country

regards

Garry

Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 05:21:17 pm »
Phil, a useful `B&B' / Hotel,  biker friendly site is;

http://www.thebikerguide.co.uk/bikerfriendlyaccommodationinnormandy.html

I stayed at this place  La Tringale,  just 20 minutes ride to Omaha Beach,   wife and I going back next year  probably in same area.     Open their Biker  Group Photos
                                http://www.normandyvacations.com/

A must visit is Sainte Mere Eclise  site of American Airborne Museum

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 05:37:12 pm by Stelyn »