Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: No Rear light/Brake Light/Horn  (Read 12785 times)

Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Altrincham, Cheshire
No Rear light/Brake Light/Horn
« on: August 27, 2015, 07:58:07 pm »
I got stopped this morning (0530) by the boys in blue to advise me my rear light was out and the brake light was not working, front lights OK, indicators working OK.
Got to work and checked the fuse, it had not blown, changed fuse any way still no lights then checked the Horn, that was dead to, the rear light was on when the bike was taken out of the garage but unlit after 8 miles.
Any ideas as to where to start looking, and a wiring diagram would be handy.
First the gear shift bolt, now this, not a happy bunny.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: No Rear light/Brake Light/Horn
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 10:13:37 pm »
Are you sure you checked the correct fuse? 15 amp fuse in position 6?  Certainly the shop manual says that is the fuse for "Rear light, brake light, horn"
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 10:24:23 pm »
Yes it would be an unlikely fault that would effect all of those systems outside of a blown fuse in the circuit
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 10:49:58 pm »
And I probably should have mentioned I had exactly the same thing happen (right down to the police office stopping me) on my ST as I was riding through Shreveport Louisiana.  At first glance my fuse looked good but I immediately replaced it with a spare (always carry a few of those).  Bingo working and on my way in less than 5 minutes. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 07:02:04 pm »
I checked the fuse again yesterday, changed it for a new one, position six in rear fuse box, nothing, removed fuse checked for power at the fuse box, power entering fuse holder, removed rear light unit, unplugged light unit tested plug for power, no power.
Scratched head, put every thing back together, checked as many plugs as one can find including horn feed plugs,then tried again, switched ignition on, fired engine up nothing not even headlights this time, switched off, put bike in garage, will have to take back to dealer to see if they can find problem, switched ignition to steering lock then thought see what happens if I try parking lights, rear light lit, front lit, switched ignition back on and fired engine up all lights now working and horn worked, noticed lights flickering while engine ticked over, switched of ignition and put battery on charge, tried bike an hour ago worked perfectly, what's going on? any ideas anyone, I am lost on this problem.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 08:54:44 pm »
If I get chance I'll have a look at the Wiring Diagram over the weekend,
although they often don't help  much in siutations like this.

My initial thougthts are a Relay that's playing up  :084:

Could also be wiring to or from the main Ignition switch, or elsewhere on the harness.

Are there any Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC's ) stored as these might give an idea of what's going on ?

( DTC's can be read on the Instrument Panel - follow the instructions here : Servicing Data and Reference Information
and Download the "Word" document at the foot of the most recent message
to look up a meaning of any Codes that are present  :028:

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 09:26:19 pm »
I would suspect the ignition switch. It is a common link between the horn and rear light according to the wiring diagram.
Serial BMW rider

Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 01:08:53 pm »
Coconut, Thanks for the ideas as to where to look, will try the DTCs, secondly is the only wiring diagram available in the factory workshop manual or is it available elsewhere, I've had a look in the how to do section or have I looked in the wrong place. Looks like I will need a day to look at the bike, as it looks like some of the plastic will have to come off, Oh what fun.