Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: My Trophy Dumped Me  (Read 13818 times)

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
My Trophy Dumped Me
« on: September 01, 2015, 03:50:11 am »
2013 Trophy SE, 23,000 miles.  Was beginning to leave work today, I started the engine, sitting in the saddle, waited for 1 bar of engine temperature, and for audio to be up and running. Started to pull away slowly with the handlebars turned to the right, lifted my feet from the ground..... and the engine suddenly died.  As i was in gear, hand on the throttle, handlebar turned toward the right, still letting clutch out, and feet just lifting in mid air to be placed on the pegs, engine stopped, in gear, me and the TTSE experienced an abrupt stop, and was slammed to the ground.  With the aid of a forklift, I was finally able to right the TTSE to its wheels.
After investigating the handlebars and ignition, I found that the ignition harness from the ignition switch had severed at least 1 wire. I can see the broken wire. Looks to be as if the harness was miss routed. Very tight bend, and unnatural routing. Could have occurred from anyone of the fuel tank repair, cylinder head replacement, windshield failures, etc. In any case, I am beyond the 2 year, warranty. My harness is cut, my saddle bags and engine covers are scratched and abraded, and my back, arms, and legs are just as damaged as my bike from trying to right this monster vertical without the aid of the forklift.  I have the Triumph TTSE service manual, and NO where does it describe procedure for removing the ignition switch, or the harness, or if there is a sub harness. Cant tell anything from the on-line parts drawings either. Is the ignition switch a big secret? Any one have information on removing the switch or harness?
thanks
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 03:51:57 am by nert »

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: My Trophy Dumped Me
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 04:16:17 am »
First you have my sympathy.  You are not the first to dump the Trophy at low speed.  I believe the issue of unusually tight harness routing was discussed at least once before.  I will take a look at the service manual tomorrow although you mention you have a service manual as well.  Sometime the topics are addressed in what seem like unlikely places. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 04:17:05 am »
 :005:  Our sympathies!
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 06:07:34 am »
Hi nert,

Sorry to hear of this.

I can't offer any help on How To remove the Ignition switch,
but if the cause was due to previous work done on your Trophy,
or as a result of a known issue such has short / tight wiring harness,
then I would be contacting Triumph directly and asking what they can do to help,
even though your warranty has expiired.

It's a bit late now, but there is a very useful technique for picking up a heavy motorcycle.

There's a video of it here : HOW TO : Pick up a Dropped or Fallen Motorcycle

Good luck with the repairs to your  Trophy ( and yourself ! )

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 11:52:00 am by Coconut »

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 07:27:21 am »
There's a video of it here : HOW TO : Pick up a Dropped or Fallen Motorcycle

I too can recommend this Video - it worked for little, old me

Commiserations on the "Dumping" though. Hopefully you will get the damaged harness issue sorted asap
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 08:04:40 am »
Oh Dear well at least you found the cause. Nothing worse then no knowing and wondering if it will happen again  :159:
It wasn't me !!

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 12:50:02 pm »
After sleeping it off, I am really lucky it didn't happen accelerating rapidly into traffic, or 80mph on the interstate.

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 01:56:29 pm »
The ignition switch is listed with the locksets if your looking for the switch. As far as removing the ignition switch you have to remove the center piece in front of the handlebars by the 2 screws from underneath the triple tree top piece to get to the screws that hold the actual switch. The 2 red arrows in the attached pic point to the part and the screws that need to be removed. I'm not sure about where the switch is connected to the main harness. Looking at the online parts diagrams, it looks to be connected right at the switch and the rest of the wiring is part of the sub harness.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

tweedy-bunch