Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Has anyone checked/adjusted the valves themselves??  (Read 7638 times)

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Has anyone checked/adjusted the valves themselves??
« on: September 02, 2015, 07:43:19 pm »
Checking is the less scarey, adjusting moreso...

Wondering if anyone has done this in their garage themselves and it they have pics/how-to, etc.

Thanks
Jan....
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Has anyone checked/adjusted the valves themselves??
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 08:34:28 pm »
I've thought about doing it myself but I'm a bit put off by the shop manual statement that the camshafts have to be removed to adjust.  Then of course one needs the shims.  I'm thinking I may just take a ride up to my brother's dealership in Upstate NY and con my brother into having one of his tech's do the adjustment.   :008:  Although that does seem like a long way to ride just to get a valve adjustment.   :012:    Having said that I was thinking I could go by way of California and then head back east.  Then the stop would just be incidental to a cross country tour :028:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 08:46:41 pm »
Checking valves and replacing shims is the easy part in my opinion, getting to the engine is the difficult part.  You had to remove the cam shafts to replace the shims in the Gold Wing, but the heads were sticking out in space and it was a SOHC design so it wasn't that difficult.  My dealer said, even with the Tupperware removed it was difficult to get access to the heads to adjust the valve clearances on the Trophy.  I thought I'd read somewhere that's its easier to just remove the engine from the bike as it comes out in one lump, including the drive shaft.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 09:09:36 pm »
I hadn't heard that but I do believe that dealers estimate 3-4 hours for the job. 
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 11:27:07 pm »
Taking the dress off the girl is the hard part, for sure, but I just did it the first time ( to check what was leaking oil, other post ) and it was easie-peasie, just putzy, easier than my 1150RT or ST13.   Now that gas tank is a pain, and pulling the camshafts, while I feel up to it, one doesn't want to make a mistake, I've got the extended warranty and in spite of a million pictures I always take and lots of experience, I worry about the warranty.....   But for $850 I believe I'll give it a go in a few weeks when it's closer to end of season...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 11:37:02 pm »
I'd probably feel a lot different about doing it if I had a bike lift and if it wasn't about 115F inside my garage.  OK the 115F I can take care of by waiting until November.  But at 62 my back and knees aren't crazy about bending over and/or kneeling on a concrete floor for several hours.

How much time did you spend kneeling on the floor and/or playing Quasimodo?
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 12:47:29 am »
My problem is not trusting that my dealer is going to do the job properly. The only thing I don't feel I will be able to do is the timing chain tension adjustment. I can do the cam removal and shim calculation and replacement alright. It may be worth buying the special tension tool compared to an $800 bill however. I have another 6 or so months before I have to worry about it.
Serial BMW rider

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 12:55:59 am »
Well that is another good point. I certainly don't trust my local dealer. On the other hand my brother has excellent techs.  And even if one were inclined to screw-up a bike the last bike he would want to screw-up would be the bike of the owner's brother!  Plus the lead Triumph tech really likes me.  The more I think about it I may just have to ride to Canandaigua by way of the west coast.  :001:
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST