Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: British Bike and Proud  (Read 3978 times)

Offline Bluebird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: St Clears
British Bike and Proud
« on: May 05, 2013, 05:01:14 PM »
I was out getting some miles on the Trophy this morning and pulled in for some fuel. While filling up an old gent approached me and started asking questions about the Trophy, I always spare the time when someone shows an interest. He started reminiscing about his biking days and talking about the German and Japanese bikes that he often sees, but he didn't know that Triumph made a bike like this.
After talking him through the features, which he was amazed at, he came to the conclusion that the best feature of this bike was that it was a Triumph and it was British. :152:

So it got me thinking, while we are all very proud of our Triumph bikes on this forum. Does it make you feel proud that it's British and did this influence your decision to buy a Triumph in any way? :084:

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: British Bike and Proud
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 05:28:56 PM »
I am always surprised when people ask where are triumph now built and when I say hinckley they are amazed even more so when I tell them how well triumph is doing.

Yes proud of it!

Offline atuti

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Washington DC
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 05:33:12 PM »
Yes, yes, it is British  :046: :046:

But... the seats are made in Spain.... You can read it in the white sticker under it....  High technology...

Seriously it is a quite important piece of the bike. It sustains the driver.....  :062: 

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 06:06:54 PM »
Signature says it all :046:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline medwyn

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Aberystwyth
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 06:10:40 PM »
Do they make motorbikes in other countries then?
Please support the Thankfulvillagesrun.com

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bradford
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 06:43:56 PM »
I have had British motorcycles all my life with the exception of two BMWs the first BM I bought was out of frustration with the unreliability of the old Meriden Bonnevilles and it was an R65 boxer, great bike I loved it and foolishly "upgraded" it to a K100 when I had a bit more cash, that was the downfall of BMW the K100 was rubbish. Then Triumph folded and Mr Bloor bought the name and brought out the 3 cylinder 900 Trophy which was brilliant. I had a bad experience in Dijon on it when the chain snapped at 90 mph after it had just been serviced by the local BMW dealer who had recently lost their Triumph dealership. Triumph shipped the bike back to the UK and repaired it (the entire gearbox and crankcase was trashed) free of charge. We went all over Europe on that bike and enjoyed every minute but then I decided to "upgrade" to a Sprint ST, the wife went on it once and refused to go on it ever again so I chopped it in for a nice black shiny Thunderbird and got her riding again. Then the Trophy came out and seduced me into buying it, two months and 3000 miles later and we are both loving it, full circle.
My first motorcycle was a BSA Bantam which I shared with a friend, we both learned to ride on it and took our tests on the same day on the same bike. He fell off during the test but the examiner didn't see so he passed, at lunchtime we repaired the damage and I passed mine in the afternoon. I also had a Panther which I restored and promptly crashed it on the first ride, it had a sidecar and as I went round a left-hander it veered across the road and hit a Ford Capri, no Tax no MOT = big fine.
The Triumph being British certainly influenced my decision, but I can assure you that if it had been rubbish I wouldn't have bought it but it is not it is fantastic. I am quite proud of the fact that I have never owned a Japanese motorcycle although I suspect that the Trophy may have parts from all over the world, I think the shaft drive may be off a Yamaha. These days it is hard to know who owns what but Triumph is British so thats fine.  :153: :153: :153:

Might as well as wish we had.

Offline Bluebird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: St Clears
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 07:03:30 PM »
Yes I can appreciate that many of the components that make up a Trophy are not British, but its made in Britain by Triumph if you see what I mean :152:

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bradford
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 01:34:25 AM »
I understand that Triumph have a factory in Thailand making the cheaper models like the Bonneville but then again I have an iPhone developed in the USA but made in China so does it really matter? What pains me is the fact that British manufacturing is not economically viable except on high value items. It will all change in a few years when the third world workers wise up and start a union.  :430:  :451: :192:
Might as well as wish we had.

tweedy-bunch