Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Front Wheel Bearings  (Read 4629 times)

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE
  • City / Town: West Michigan
Re: Front Wheel Bearings
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2020, 04:02:17 pm »
I've been buying my OEM parts from Hermy's and have had excellent service from them.

But sometimes I have trouble finding a part number at Hermy's , but can find it at Bike Bandit.  Once I have the PN, I'll then order it from Hermy's - Thanks Bike Bandit !!
IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014
SS3K 9-2020
2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
1998 ST1100

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2020, 12:58:33 am »
This information could cause even more replies. My 2013 has 64,000 miles. From the second set of replacement tires, i have always experienced cupping on the front tire. I tried different Michelin models, and Pirelli tires, back to Michelin,  tried different air pressures, but always the front wheel tire was cupping. The last tire change i installed Michelin Road 5. I was feeling the wheel bearings in my hand before i balanced the new tires, and suspected something wrong with the bearing. On the balance frame, or mounted on the forks, the spinning wheel felt fine, but when i turned the bearing in my hand, 50 years of experience said inspect it some more. I removed the bearing, and removed the shields. I was surprised, but happy at what i found. See photo. I installed new bearings and seals from amazon, and thousands of miles later, no cupping on my front tire. I AM SO HAPPY!! Is it the Michelin Road 5, or the bearings?  Time will tell.
AMAZON: Timken 6204-2RSC3 Deep Groove Ball Bearing 20x47x14mm with Contact Seals. Timken is a VERY HIGH quality bearing company.
AMAZON: uxcell Oil Seal, TC 28mm x 47mm x 7mm Nitrile Rubber Cover Double Lip with Spring for Automotive Axle Shaft, Black Pack of 1. Looks exactly like the OEM seals i removed.  Check your bearings carefully.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 01:01:31 am by nert »

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2020, 02:00:19 am »
Exactly the ones I looked at, and if I'm not mistaken Timken has a line (or division) of foreign made bearings for not so critical service.  I think I'll buy mine from the locally owned bearing house since they helped me out with propietary bearings on a clear ice maker pump and saved me a difference of over $350 for the cost of a new one vs buying bearings which weren't even supposed to be replaced.  Typical, "no, don't waste time fixing the seized pump just replace it".  Nothing to lose to try and take it apart as far as I was concerned. :028:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2020, 02:20:40 am »
Nert:

My money is on the tires, not the wheel bearings.

I had problems with front tire cupping ( Bridgestone Battlax 023's ) on my ST1100 - two tires in a row.  Really bad cupping.
 And my wheel bearings were just fine.

My "fix" for the cupping was to use a Bridgestone Exedra Max ( radial )  tire.  It has a much different tread pattern than the Battlax.  I have no cupping at all with the Exedra Max.  My theory is the cupping may be caused by the tread pattern.

Thanks for the pics.  They illustrate what I was trying to describe in a previous post.  I'm referring to the rubber seals that you removed from the side of the bearings so the condition of the balls and races can be inspected.  I inspect the condition of the bearings at each tire change. And I always replace the axle grease seals when changing tires to insured that water won't infiltrate between the axle seal and bearing and eventually working it's way into the bearing.

IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014
SS3K 9-2020
1998 ST1100

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2020, 11:43:00 am »
I like a fair few other motorcyclists have always thought that cupping of tyres is mainly down to riding in a straight line/being upright for the majority of the time. The bigger/heavy the bike is, the more noticable it seems to be. I've had all sorts of size of machine over the years and that's certainly been my experience.
Tyre compounds etc have moved on over the years so maybe a particular tyre may help reduce the cupping affect so much nowadays?? I doubt that it can be totally cured though, just like with a car tyre, they never seem to wear evenly all over. :084:

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2020, 01:31:25 pm »
I have been getting zero cupping with the last 3 sets of Exedra Max tires, BTW.  And the 023's cupped like crazy.

Since the Exedra Max isn't available in the size I need for the front tire on my Concours,  I installed a Shinko Raven instead.  It has a similar tread pattern as the Exedra Max.  I have only less than 1K miles on it now, but no cupping yet.  We will see how the Raven does nest year.  BTW, a few guys on the COG Forum use Shinko tires and they like them.  I use them on other bikes too,  and I have no complaints.  Plenty good performance for my riding style and they are much less expensive than other brands, too.

It will be awhile until I need to change the tires on the Trophy - they only have about 2K miles on them.  But when I do, I'll be putting a Raven on the front and a Verge 2X on the rear.

Nert :

I forgot to mention that the right hand bearing in your pic looks OK, but the other bearing looks a bit rusty.  So it looks like water got past the axle seal and infiltrated the bearing. Were the axle seals replaced at each tire change ?

And how did each bearing feel when the outer race was rotated and the inner race held stationary ?
IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014
SS3K 9-2020
1998 ST1100

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2020, 02:03:12 am »
The seals were original. I did not replace them when replacing tires. I do ride in the rain often, a hazard of commuting to work on a motorcycle. After installing a new tire and spinning the wheel on my tire balancing frame revealed no irregularities. Rotating the inner races with my finger inspired me to remove the bearings and remove the shields for closer investigation. And yes, the rust stained bearing has failed bearing races, and balls. I tried Michelin Pilot Road 4, Road 4GT, Pirelli Scorpion Trail II, and others. ALL developed cupping. If the bearing was not cause to cupping, than I am VERY pleased with the Michelin Road 5 tire. NO cupping.

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2020, 02:30:30 am »
Go to know - I'm going to check out the Road 5's.
IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014
SS3K 9-2020
1998 ST1100