Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Unsubstantiated Rumour  (Read 29875 times)

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
  • City / Town: Nantwich
Unsubstantiated Rumour
« on: September 07, 2015, 01:00:39 pm »
Yesterday I was chatting to a Triumph employee, who indicated that Triumph may cease the production of Trophies at the end of this year, or thereabouts, owing to below target sales. This is the second time I have heard this. :005:
An interesting decision when the Trophy rarely seems to figure in any of the current promotions. Is this a case of a self-fulfilling prophecy?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 04:39:37 pm by threeup »
Now got Black TTSE
Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
Re: Unsubstantiated Rumour
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 01:50:32 pm »
Oh Dear - I do hope not....but in a world dominated by money-men and bean-counters if projected targets have not been met then something will be changed...

Perhaps not enough of the BMW RT sales have been captured, or the numbers of "Recall Issues" will have something to do with it...but it is only a rumour after all.

Either way I thank my "Lucky Stars" I have one and thoroughly enjoy riding and using it.

Thank you Hinckley, it's the best bike I've ever owned.

I won't be buying anything else to replace it in the forseeable future.
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 04:10:41 pm »
 I hope this is not true, but I suspect sales have not met Triumph's expectations. For one reason, the TTSE's MSRP is too high at $19,499!  That's probably about 3 or 4K more than most potential buyers will pay.  Sticker shock is a major deterrent!  In all honesty I bought mine only because it was still new, but a 2014 "leftover" the dealer wanted to get rid of at a substatial discount.  At MSRP, this model, no matter how desirable, is not necessarily a great VALUE! 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 04:14:12 pm by dsinned »
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline redcap0006

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
  • City / Town: Athlone
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 04:30:53 pm »
well said Gordon3xBBB   :460:

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 04:40:24 pm »
More disturbing (at least for me) is that I heard a local dealer say the Trophy "ought" to be discontinued.  Said the same thing about the Rocket III
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 07:32:42 pm »
How is $19,499 too high when you can't even get the R1200RT for less than $21,000. Although, in my opinion they are both kind of high in general. I think the resale is killing the Trophy. Who wants to give that much for a bike and it is only worth 45% after only a year. And I don't see how, other than it is just not as well as known as the other brands. Not a fair assessment to me. And look at how many companies are going back to the triple since Triumph brought it back. And on another note, has anyone seen the fine that just levied against Triumph for not reporting recalls in timely manner. That could be a factor also. $2.9 million will definitely cut into a company's budget.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 07:54:15 pm »
Gotta agree with you on the pricing and resale arguments atvtinker.  Spot on.  As for the fine issue  it is being discussed in the On Two Wheels - Bikers Chat forum
https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,4619.0.html
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Wscad

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 08:55:03 pm »
It could be true. In the cool light of the day, I should have bought another RT from a resale value point of view.

I don't regret buying the TTSE for one moment, it's a proper touring beast, a better touring bike than the new RT IMO, but I know I would take a big hit if I sold it.

So I'm keeping it.  :002:

tweedy-bunch