Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Grip Puppies vs Beemer Buddies  (Read 7471 times)

Offline triumphtrophyrider

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 & 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Wisconsin
Grip Puppies vs Beemer Buddies
« on: September 07, 2015, 03:33:28 pm »
Thought I'd try the Grip Puppies that many have talked about on this forum due to my sensitivity to vibration at the grips.  I don't see any notable reduction of vibration but the bigger diameter may be of some value to some.  The thing I don't like is the rubbery feeling it gives when cornering.  I don't think they work for me so I'm looking for some feedback on how Beemer Buddies work on the Trophy in comparison to the Grip Puppies.

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
Re: Grip Puppies vs Beemer Buddies
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 04:22:17 pm »
I'll let you know after I get a pair of "Grab Ons " to try. They are made of high density sponge rubber, just like your "Grip Puppies", and don't cost much, so I have set my expectations accordingly.
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 05:32:53 pm »
I just fitted a set of Grip puppies and rode just shy of 500 miles this weekend.

They were great.  I usually get pins and needles and have to dangle my hand, whilst on cruise control, to get the circulation going but after fitting Grip Puppies did not have to do it once!  This really surprised me.  I thought it was because I had my gloves tight at the wrist stopping circulation but no as the Grip Puppies definitely stopped the tingling and numbness.

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline triumphtrophyrider

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 & 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Wisconsin
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 07:20:33 pm »
I can't say that the vibration is significantly changed with the Grip Puppies installed and I'm wondering if some of the relief you get with them on the bike is due to the larger diameter which lets your "grip" on the bars to not be as tight.  It seems newer Triumphs have smaller diameter grips than what they came with in the  past.  I only installed 1 grip at at time for comparison of stock grip vs Grip Puppy and there may be less direct input of the vibes into my hand but it wouldn't be enough to keep me from using the cruise.  I just don't like the rubbery sensation I get when I induce inputs into the bar grips -  that's why I was wondering if the Beemer Buddies would be a better product for me.

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 02:11:29 am »
The beemers I had all came with the small diameter grips like the Trophy, and I've put beemer buddies on all three bikes.
I never found the vibration on my Trophy objectionable, but I like the larger diameter softer grip of the beemer buddies, and they will work with heated grips for sure.  My Trophy doesn't have heat so it was not a consideration anyway, but the beemers had grip heat that would still warm your hands.  I think the Trophy is darn near as smooth as the 6 cylinder K bike was, and it was like a Gold Wing - electric smooth.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 02:03:06 pm »
Had grip puppies from the start and I like the bigger diameter.  The heat struggles a bit to get through but you hardly need heat on the Trophy  Okish on High.  I did it for the control as probably it was the twitchy feeling but this was before the ECU and throttle sensor upgrade so that might have gone away now.

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 01:50:47 pm »
I've used Beemer Buddies on my other sportier bikes, which put a lot of weight on my hands.  In those applications, the grips work quite well to distribute the pressure over a broader area of my palms.  And the larger diameter also helps with throttle grip/twist.  They do wear out though.  Even the new harder neoprene material wears out sooner than I'd like, given the price.

With the Trophy, none of my weight is on the hands, so I don't see a need for them.  The big triple still shakes some.  Take your hand off the grip and, with your fingers (light touch), feel the end weights vs. the grip.  The weights buzz while the grips stay mostly vibration free.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 03:41:58 pm »
"The weights buzz while the grips stay mostly vibration free."

Agreed.  Vibration doesn't seem to be a problem for me on the Trophy.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

tweedy-bunch