Very dirty final drive oil by digital
[Today at 11:16:14 am]

Ignition Switch Wiring WORLDWIDE Safety Recall SRAN574 by digital
[Today at 11:13:53 am]

Side Stand Enarger Pad by digital
[Today at 11:05:30 am]

UK Reg for sale - TR04HYO by RedMerle
[Today at 06:16:21 am]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Lane splitting  (Read 5652 times)

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Lane splitting
« on: September 17, 2015, 02:01:04 am »
I an currently in San fransisco and driving yesterday from the airport there seemed to be quite a bit of traffic!! but only saw 2 motorbikes.  Both were lane splitting (filtering!). I wondered if that was legal but also I was amazed at the speed they were going.  Especially as the cars were swapping lanes a lot the 2 bikes I saw were both tearing through small gaps.  I know I am old now but I would never have gone that quick?

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
Re: Lane splitting
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 04:56:52 am »
Its legal in California, Its not something I'd do though, especially on a wide girth Trophy. Its not legal in most states. Youtube is full of videos like this one showing why its not very smart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz4ZGqfwNEM
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 05:00:40 am by Zebraranger »

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 06:10:32 am »
Thanks I was not sure which states it was illegal in.  As I say though ridiculously fast and could easily see how's the accidents happen.  They both had loud exhausts but they came so fast did not 'help' to hear them coming at all like they always give as an excuse?  :107:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 06:21:54 am »
As undertaking is legal in the US I can understand why filtering would be illegal.

Here in the UK I wouldn't say it is illegal but if you have an incident or cause an incident as a result of filtering then you would have the book thrown at you for dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention.

Personally I think filtering is an essential tool for the motorcyclist and is not dangerous done sensibly.

The other night I had to filter for about 20 miles due to a major accident on a motorway causing miles of tailbacks I would have been queueing for hours otherwise.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 06:56:44 am »
A very good reason to own a Motorcycle is the benefit of filtering.  It IS legal in UK.  It IS an accepted thing to do.

I never filter above 25mph and always with great caution but it is very effective and a real bonus for riding on two wheels.

The fastest and most aggressive filtering I have witnessed was on the Paris Ring Road; however I have seen some very fast filtering on the M1 heading out of London.  At some point filtering becomes overtaking on the inside which in most circumstances is illegal.

There are old bikers and bold bikers; but not many old bold bikers!

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline dokterdave

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1400GTR
  • City / Town: Brighton
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 09:17:00 am »
*Originally Posted by GarminDave [+]
A very good reason to own a Motorcycle is the benefit of filtering.  It IS legal in UK.

Hmm
Not sure thats true.
Its NOT illegal which doesn't make it legal.
If the Police don't like what they see a charge of "Driving without due care" would be coming your way.

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 11:03:59 am »
*Originally Posted by dokterdave [+]
Hmm
Not sure thats true.
Its NOT illegal which doesn't make it legal.
If the Police don't like what they see a charge of "Driving without due care" would be coming your way.

You are absolutely right.  I base my assertion on the fact that advanced riding courses teach the safe way to filter and that the courts are currently erring towards less blame to motorcyclists who are filtering responsibly.

The thing about the law is that a whole industry is based upon how you interpret a given situation:

What the law says about filtering

Contrary to the belief of some motorists, filtering is entirely legal in the UK, providing that it is done safely.  Typically once traffic speeds are high enough to suggest that the traffic is no longer queuing, the police may then regard your manoeuvre as a dangerous overtake. So for example on a Motorway a rider unlikely to draw police attention if they filter traffic doing a maximum of 20ish mph and they themselves don’t pass at much over that speed.

You can see the whole explanation here:

http://www.motorcycling-uk.com/training/motorcycle_filtering.htm

Laws are for the observance of fools and the guidance of wise men!  Well that's what I think and if I am being reasonable I have faith in a UK Policeman to be reasonable too; well the ones I know are.

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 11:45:13 am »
All I know is that it causes a lot of road rage incidents, accidents and a lot of hatred towards all of us riders when its done in the wrong way as the OP witnessed. Most of the time cage drivers don't see or hear them coming when approaching at high speeds, and on a loud bike it usually startles the cage drivers. Unfortunately when this happens, the cage drivers usually think to themselves, I should have changed lanes.

tweedy-bunch