Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trophy fluid leak left side  (Read 4592 times)

Offline davidbean

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophe SE
  • City / Town: Fresno
Trophy fluid leak left side
« on: September 19, 2015, 10:30:55 pm »
Hi Forum Members:

I took my 2014 Trophy out for a ride this morning with temperatures in the low 80's.
The bike had been idle for 2 weeks (following a warm ride in the 90's) and garaged.  It has not been washed recently.

I went to the local gas station (~0.5 miles) to top off before the ride, and my wife noticed fluid leaking from the bottom of the bike on the left side.  A small puddle (~6-inch diameter) of clear fluid formed in just a minute or so, then it stopped.
By smell and texture, I could tell the fluid was not gasoline, motor oil,or typical antifreeze. 
It had just a touch of hydrocarbon smell and a little slickness.  It could have passed for water otherwise. 
Could this be coolant overflow?

A quick inspection by the dealer found nothing.  Any thoughts from the Forum?

Regards
Dave

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
Re: Trophy fluid leak left side
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 05:38:11 am »
Hmmm . . . I have no idea, but sure curious to know after you determine the cause of the leak.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 06:58:28 pm by dsinned »
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 01:18:27 pm »
If the Coolant level was originally topped up a little too high,
then it would not be unusual - the first timethe engine gets really hot,
for the excess to be dumped out via the overflow pipe
which emerges underneath the left side near the footrest.

Check the coolant level ( when cold ) - accessible inside the front wheel arch,
removing the side panel if necessary. 

While you're there it's also worth checking that the expansion tank cap has been screwed on correctly.

If the level is correct and you have no more puddles then it was probably overfilled
and you should be OK, just keep an eye on the level.

If the level has dropped / does drop below the Minimum mark, then you probably have a leak,
which is likely due to a clamp not being fully tightened, which other Forum members have experienced.

See here : Coolant Leak!

Unfortunately you'll have to remove the Fairing to get at some of connections,
but it's not that daunting a job, and you can follow the instructions here :
HOW TO : Remove the Fairing ........

In the above example however the Gas Tank had to be removed as well to get at
the leaking connection so it would be worth thinking about your own capabilities and experience,
if, after taking the Fairing off, you find that yours is leaking from the same place,
and then consider, especially if under warranty, letting your Dealer tackle the problem  :028:

Let us know how you get on  :169:

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:42:50 am by Coconut »

Offline drstimpy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 silver
  • City / Town: Rochester, MA
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 05:27:07 pm »
Me too. I figure it's the infamous thermostat hose clamp and there is no way I'm pulling the tank to get it if it's still under warranty!
It's tracking down to the shifter area.
Some must watch while others must sleep

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 07:05:54 pm »
Upon re-reading your original post, based on the description of the "fluid" leak, it sounds to me like H20 (water) drainage from your catalytic converter.  If it was a coolant or oil leak, that would be much more obvious.  Another (slim) possibility would be a battery leak, which is sulfuric acid; again, that should be rather obvious.  If the leak looks and feels more like water tainted by the smell of hydrocarbons, it is more likely condensation from your cat.

Btw, if you ever get over to the SF Bay Area on your bike, and would like to meet for a ride over to the coastline or Santa Cruz Mountains, please give me a shout.  I'm retired, live in San Jose (near Milpitas), and looking for another Trophy to go riding with when the weather cools off.   I haven't been up to Alice's Restaurant for a long time.  That might be a nice place to go for lunch.    :821:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 08:47:05 pm by dsinned »
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline kurtmartin1027

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Trenton
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 01:14:47 am »
I had the same leak it is a radiator hose that you can get to by removing the left side faring.  Quite a simple fix. 
It may not be legal but I have a Dr's note!

Offline brbo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 08:33:22 pm »
Add another one to the ranks......

After 1500km of riding since new - zero visual leaks which I try to keep a close eye on,

Sure enough last weekend fired it up cold and within a few minutes a puddle started - left side.... followed it up to above the filter as I far as I could see... also checked out overflow and it was down to its last 100ml, sought out others with the issue here....and voila

Finally got to remove panel today and sure enough - followed the white trail to the lower rad hose going into engine from rad....tightened loose hose... had a good look above it as much as you can see anyhow and can't see anything above that hose being wet or traces 

Any suggestions to determine if I need to go a bit further ?

Also inspected rad end of the same hose and sure enough perhaps an older leak but hose into rad showed a thin little white trail along the rad tank to the bottom - gave that a little more squeeze too... as it was loose

Great Forum...reassuring to know others concluded its only a simple loose hose.. Thanks !!
'19 Tiger 1200 xcA - matte marine

Offline jesse64

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Scottsdale
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 10:35:05 pm »
I had a leak in that area that never made it to the ground.  It was brake fluid.  There is a valve (I think #19 here http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2015-triumph-trophy-se/o/m156663#sch889691) that is mounted to the left side of the frame which is to the right of the glove box.  It's about 3 to 4 inches long.  It is not painted so it's a cast aluminum color.  You can see it.  There is a banjo fitting on the brake line (#21).  That fitting leaked and caused a pretty big mess.  Unfortunately for me I didn't know it until I had no back brake.  It has something to do with balancing the linked brakes.  If it's leaking you should be able to put your hand down there and find out pretty quick.  You could apply some brake pressure to see if anything leaks around there.  The description of the liquid sounds an awful lot like brake fluid and it will destroy the world if not stopped.

Update - Added a pic with an arrow to the offending item.