Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Looking for "the dark side of the force"  (Read 7233 times)

Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 trophy se
  • City / Town: Cincinnati
Looking for "the dark side of the force"
« on: September 27, 2015, 01:23:22 pm »
I'm  currently an F JR owner. Recently took a trophy out for a test ride and really liked it. I'd like to know what the downsides are to this bike. I know that's a tricky question or a forum of this nature ,  but you guys have the most experience with this type of bike. I have heard rumors of gas tanks leaking (recalled) ,audio issues, Bluetooth problems, and electrical problems draining the battery caused by the audio system. Were these issues able to be corrected  by the manufacture?  Did most of your experience these types of issues, or were they only present on  specific models.?

Are there any other oddities I should be aware of before dropping the Wallet on this machine? Were most of you able to find qualified individuals to service the bike outside of the dealer network?

My FJR only required oil changes between the 26,000 mile service points. I noticed that triumph request service every 10,000 miles on the bike. Are those services really necessary if you're able to change your own oil? How difficult is it to perform basic maintenance on the bike?

After reading multiple posts on the form, it sounds like this group comes from a wide variety of bike ownership experiences and can give me unbiased opinions on the topic.

Let's see what happens....... :087:

Greygoose

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
Re: Looking for "the dark side of the force"
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 01:57:23 pm »
Greygoose,
Most of these problems occurred with the first model year 2013 Trophy SE and most have all been worked out. Some battery issues have occurred with the 2014's that still had the older version audio firmware installed. I have a 2013 and its not experienced any of the issues, but its had all the recalls done including the audio software update, but excluding the optional head as I elected to not have it done. If you decide on a 2015 TTSE, I think you'll be basically problem free on these former first year teething issues as Triumph has pretty much worked them out. Most manufacturers usually have some problems to work out on first year models and Triumph is no different in this regard. I usually don't go for a first model year of any vehicle, but I wanted one ever since they announced the new model and I saw the spy photos in 2012. I got such a good deal on the 2013, I couldn't pass it up. I can tell you that I've been riding for over 35 years and have owned a lot of bikes over those years. This one by far has been the most enjoyable in regards to large bikes, especially on long distance riding. Exceptional handling, great power and very comfortable with all the accessories needed for long hauls.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 02:06:00 pm by Zebraranger »

Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 trophy se
  • City / Town: Cincinnati
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 02:24:23 pm »
That post really hit home because it sounds like I wrote it....lots in common here... Funny you should mention the 2013 because that's the one I'm trying to make a deal on. What's the list of items the dealer should have taken care of?  And can you tell me about the "optional heads" thing?

I also hate to go for 1st year bikes after a mess I had with a st1300, but this bike seems to really be impressive.  Can we go "message mode" and discuss what type of deal I should be getting ? It's hard to believe what these guys are trying to get for bikes that are left over from 2013. There crazy!!!!

Greygoose

Offline Older traveler

• Trophy Member
  • USE IT !!!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bridgeton NJ
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 02:38:37 pm »
I bought a new (leftover) 2013 SE last year. Gas tank recall done no issues with that. Dead battery was a big issue. Drove me nuts. Dealer worked his magic with a software upgrade for the radio and now no issues with that. I currently use it ever week and donít use a battery tender. Iíll use it  during the winter months when the time between starts is greater.

I have this bike for twelve months and just hit 10,000 miles. No major issues. Small stuff like a strap in the side bag that pulled out. A new screw and washer took care of that. I believe all major issues are taken care of by now.

As for the 10,000 mile service. I donít do my own work and after leaving a Harley Ultra Classic Iím way happy with the service intervals. My experience is I need tires at the 10,000 mile mark. The price Iím paying is $652 for the service and tires.

The problem you might have going from a FJR to a Trophy is the lack of accessories available. I went with a Corbin seat, a larger windshield and a Shad top box. I need nothing else. This worked fine when I went cross country. Along with the accessories the dealer network is a bit tricky. There are not many around and even less that know how to work on the Trophy. Do your research well when it come to the dealership. My personal experience with the company and the warranty (because of the first dealership) was excellent. I would buy another Triumph.

Hope this helps
Gene

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 03:06:09 pm »
I am not sure which country you are in but make sure all the recalls are done and the right audio software is installed.  As said the dealer network in USA seems to make or break the experience.  I think mainly to do with the audio update and flat batteries all the time.  Obviously this would get very wearing if everytime you wanted to use the bike the battery was flat or just the not knowing must be a pain.  As for other issues most have been discussed at length on this site.  If you look at the pros and cons subject then I think you will see that in general everyone here loves the bike, I do.  Again I think on another subject there is a list of recalls, but as said above in USA I think it is tank, head and audio.

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 06:00:28 pm »
My son rides a 2006 FJR.  It has 70,000 miles on it, we have probably ridden 40,000 of those together.
The FJR is an excellent bike.  You may miss the power of the FJR.  It also sounds fantastic and is pretty reliable.

With that said, the Trophy has longer tank range, better mileage (on regular gas) and a little better weather protection.  The single sided swing arm https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php?action=post;topic=4725.0;last_msg=60044#makes removing the rear wheel much easier than the FJR.

He does most of the maintenance himself.  He has had good and bad dealer experiences.

2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 06:33:06 pm »
If possible you might want to get a 2014 leftover (lots still available) instead of a 2013.  The only possible issue with the latter that would be of any real concern is the head replacement.  That would require an "expert" mechanic to do the warranty work properly at your Triumph dealer, but not all dealers are exclusively for Triumphs.  Like another forum member above basically said, "don't fix what ain't broken".

What has been a confusion factor with respect to "recalls" is that Triumph has NOT addressed everything commonly known to be a "factory defective" as a so-called "RECALL".  For example, the audio battery drain issue was never addressed as a recall, even though it really should have been.  Apparently, not all SEs exhibit this problem and Triumph seems to have no problem needlessly replacing countless dead batteries. 

The battery drain issue not being an "official" recall, is the reason I believe why some (many?) U.S. dealers remain rather clueless about this particular issue.  Knowing what I know now, I would ask your dealer to SHOW YOU the actual audio software version currently installed on the bike you are interested in buying, especially if it is a pre-2015 model.  The audio software verification can be done quite easily by pushing and holding the radio's "P" button before turning ON the ignition (with radio off).   Please check for this procedure elsewhere on this forum for the exact button pushing sequence. 

As far as a good deal on a "leftover", the sky's the limit right now.  Trophies have not been selling well in the U.S, so you may even be able to get a 2013 at dealer cost or close to it!  The 2016 model is about to be announced, so dealers will soon be ordering brand new bikes. 

If money is no object, the new Phantom Black color might be the one to get, which is the only change for the new model year (other than a change to the Set/- and Res/+ rocker switches introduced at the start of last model year).

Try to get any Triumph accessories for the bike (e.g. taller windscreen, comfort/heated seats, heated grips, top case, etc. included in the purchase price of the bike), so that you are getting a really GREAT DEAL!  Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 06:45:04 pm by dsinned »
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 10:42:08 pm »
The Triumph Trophy is perfect.  You should buy one as quickly as possible.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST