Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Rad leak  (Read 7068 times)

Offline terrytriumphgt1050

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Lytham St Annes
Rad leak
« on: September 28, 2015, 05:33:38 am »
After 6 months of trouble free riding since the dealer replaced the harness that was causing the screen to have a mind of its own the radiator has now developed a leak. Noticed a damp patch under the bike so started her up and sure enough drip coming from rad, expansion tank was below the lower level so topped up to the top level indication, no leak, weird. Next day dripping again? Today not dripping but there are signs of water escape so off to the dealer. Also noticed that the heated grip indicator is showing 2 bars when selected to position 1, while looking at that noticed that the left grip doesn't work, maybe relevant.
People who wear ties tell lies.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Rad leak
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 06:14:31 am »
There have been a few Members that have rreported Coolant leaks -
often from Hose clamps that are not tight, or even the Expansion Tank cap not replaced properly.

Re your Heated Grips, I would suspect the Heated Grips On / Off switch as being faulty,
but your Dealer will soon be able to check this  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Blue TTSE
  • City / Town: Cambridge IL
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 06:26:58 pm »
I just had my 500 mile service performed on my new 2014 TTSE. One issue that I wanted resolved was a coolant leak; it appeared to be coming from the lower left side of the radiator area, and I noticed coolant residue inside the lower fairing, and some coming out of the fairing louvers.
After the service was complete, the service adviser explained that apparently my coolant reservoir bottle had been overfilled, and that is where the coolant was coming from.
I had previously removed a panel, and inspected the bottle, cap, overflow, connections, and determined that it wasn't from the coolant reservoir area; besides, even when delivered and the engine warmed up, the level on the bottle never was more than half way up. 
I then explained my observations, and asked if they would look again to determine the origin of the leak; thinking that a clamp may need to be tightened.  They then removed the left side fairing, cleaned off the residue, and let the engine run until the fans came on.
After further review, it was determined that the very bottom left side of the radiator tank was seeping coolant, and that the radiator needed to be replaced.
I am now waiting for a call to set up an appointment for the replacement.  I also had the firmware update completed for the audio system, Engine oil and filter replaced, and final drive lube replaced.  Total fee was ~ $215.00.
2014 - Trophy SE - Pacific Blue
1988 - Honda Goldwing (Sold)

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 07:09:31 pm »
It's good you caught this so soon and had it properly taken care of at only your first 500 mile service.  It makes spending a few  hundred bucks for "routine" maintenance, money well spent.  It also demonstrates how you and your servicing dealer working together as a "team", helps to make your bike as mechanically sound as it possible can be even while still so new.  I am glad they actually listened to you and took your radiator leak seriously; the hallmark of a "good" dealership.

Just out of curiousity, for the 500 mile service, was the fairing removed so they could check all nuts and bolts for tightness too? 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 08:44:35 pm by dsinned »
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline terrytriumphgt1050

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Lytham St Annes
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 07:12:36 pm »
Rad leak was located to be coming from the top L/H coolant pipe clamp, cleaned and re-torqued and all OK, dealer says that he has seen the same on a number of Triumphs. L/H grip is definitely not working so that will be replaced under warranty. The bike has now had screen motor replacement, both heated switches replaced, harness replacement (causing issue with screen) and now heated grip to be replaced. Should this be considered normal for a bike of this complexity after 18 months of ownership?  I was going to keep the bike for at least 3 years but seriously starting to consider replacing at the 2 year point, sticking with Triumph though - possibly Explorer. Or do I purchase 12 months dealer warranty and stick with it?
People who wear ties tell lies.

Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 02:30:06 am »
dsinned,
 Yes, I am pleased so far with the dealer service, and their willingness  to listen to my view of the issue. The service facility that I actually go to is a BMW dealership that is owned by the same owners of the  Triumph selling dealership; they are located about 1 city block apart. Apparently, in the recent past, the Triumph's and BMW's were in the same facility.  BMW corporate forced the dealership to remove the Triumph brand from that facility, so the BMW would be the exclusive brand in that particular store.  The tech certified for Triumph also is certified for BMW service. That is the reason why my servicing dealer is a BMW dealer. 
I also mentioned to the tech that I perceived excessive gear noise, not from the rear, but from the front bevel gear housing or transmission. He test rode the bike, and agreed that the noise was excessive.  He explained that he would contact Triumph tech support to determine what should be done to resolve this issue.  How often does a dealer/tech agree with, and offer to investigate further into a resolution of a problem?  A typical answer would be:  Could not duplicate customer complaint.  That is why at this point, I am pleased with my purchase, even though I'm experiencing some quality issues.
Oh, regarding the question, was the fairing removed for this service; no it was only removed to inspect for the coolant leak; and then, only the left side. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 02:51:37 am by TTSE14 »

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 03:26:54 am »
TTSE14, thanks for the additional info.  Hmmm . . . , a 500 mile service does not include checking all nuts and bolts for tightness, huh?  Even for over $200; perhaps just as important as changing the oil.  I would have hoped it did, since there have been a few reports on this forum of loose bolts on recently purchased bikes causing various leaks, not all of which were only accessible  inside the fairing.  In the old days, this use to be a fairly common periodic maintenance requirement especially for any initial break-in service.  I guess times have changed.  All the more reason to be on the lookout for any other possible leaks.
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 04:03:26 am »
*Originally Posted by dsinned [+]
TTSE14, thanks for the additional info.  Hmmm . . . , a 500 mile service does not include checking all nuts and bolts for tightness, huh?  Even for over $200; perhaps just as important as changing the oil.  I would have hoped it did, since there have been a few reports on this forum of loose bolts on recently purchased bikes causing various leaks, not all of which were only accessible  inside the fairing.  In the old days, this use to be a fairly common periodic maintenance requirement especially for any initial break-in service.  I guess times have changed.  All the more reason to be on the lookout for any other possible leaks.

I agree:  I was billed for 1.25 hours shop time.  this included oil & filter,  change rear gear lube, torque headset, torque wheels and brake fasteners, check all fluids, update audio firmware, reset service meter, check throttle body sync, check for coolant leak.
I would imagine if the fairing was completely removed for inspection of clamps, hoses, fasteners, etc, there would probably be an additional hour of billed shop time.