The greatest accessory... EVER! by brenchley
[Today at 07:52:36 pm]

shudder upon deceleration by Coconut
[Today at 07:29:11 pm]

Wishbone Replacement by janfmiller
[Today at 06:55:02 pm]

Strebel Air Horn installed! by Coconut
[Today at 06:03:04 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trophy vs BMW R1200RT  (Read 18746 times)

Offline 2wheeler

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
Trophy vs BMW R1200RT
« on: September 28, 2015, 06:24:31 pm »
Another heads up comparison…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOVlnrcGEc4

Offline steve59

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 06R3/13 s3 se
  • City / Town: Carol Stream
Re: Trophy vs BMW R1200RT
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 02:32:48 pm »
A buddy of mine bought the rt last spring and called yesterday to tell me he bought a leftover 2014 800 tiger. My friend used to ride a triumph 955rs that he sold for a jap liter bike, after finding out riding at WOT gets fatiguing he traded the fz/fx whatever for a r1200rt. here's the good part him and a ttse guy swapped bikes for a stretch and all he could say is he misses the roll on power of the triple. considering the ttse and rt are so similar it was good to hear an honest report the ttse is more fun to ride than the boxer. That should be a no brainer but with reviewers always giving the nod to the newest toy facts do get lost in the mix.

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 09:20:34 pm »
That's interesting.  Was it a wethead RT?  I can understand if it was an older RT, but the new '14+ RT is just about even with the TTSE powerwise, especially since the latest RT significantly lighter weight than TTSE.

OTOH, I too never made friends with the boxer engine.  The wethead has good power and doesn't sound and feel like a sewing machine much any more, but it still has that flat twin power pulse characteristics I find patently unsatisfying.  Maybe that's what your buddy is talking about.  No right or wrong with this sort of stuff.  Just whatever the rider likes.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline steve59

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 06R3/13 s3 se
  • City / Town: Carol Stream
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 02:02:18 am »
 Yea, I think he's keeping the wethead but something about the trophy brought him back and now he's got an 800 tiger for the old abandoned wisconsin logging roads and i'm trying to figure out how to fit knobbies on my speed.

Online 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
  • City / Town: Dallas TX
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 05:02:43 am »
$19,958 is what a 2015 1200 RT would cost setup like my Trophy SE with a top case.
The RT has 125 hp and 93 ft lbs tq and is 604 lbs.
So it's a close match and that's what Triumph was going for in the first place.
I'm from the U.S. so I know all American cars are better just like the guys liked the BMW. " I drive a German car so I call favoritism in reporting.
 I guess it's a good thing the RT was a 2015 the 2014 was recalled and owners were told not to ride them. I'm not a fan of a company that knows about a problem and does nothing for a decade "its not a problem with the drive shaft its bad maintenance , they did get fined.
I think BMW pushes the envelope and in turn others have to work to keep up so they do some good in a round about way.
Triumph has problems also but I believe they handle it better.
IBA # 59602
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 03:13:48 pm »
*Originally Posted by steve59 [+]
Yea, I think he's keeping the wethead but something about the trophy brought him back and now he's got an 800 tiger for the old abandoned wisconsin logging roads and i'm trying to figure out how to fit knobbies on my speed.
That'll be a hoot.  I miss my speedie sometimes.  Just got into dirt riding recently and boy do I wish we have the kinds of soft roads and trails other parts of the US enjoys.  Honestly though, I'm learning that it takes a lot of skills to ride a 250 lbs dirt bike off road, much less a 500 lbs one.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 07:51:21 pm »
...i'm trying to figure out how to fit knobbies on my speed.
You need the Tom Cruise Mission Impossible II Limited Edition model ....

.... Where the tyre tread changes automatically to suit the terrain  :745: ......

Misssion Impossible II Motorcycle chase scene

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 08:41:50 pm »
I did once test ride an 1150RT, personally I didn't think much of it at all, vibrating engine, noisy, clunky gearbox and just BMW's odd way of doing things when it comes to canceling indicators and not being able to run the engine whilst resting on the side stand for example. :087:

I gather that the 1200RT is a bit of a different animal, some what improved compared to the previous version,.....on paper, it did tick most of my boxes but I'd have to find one that's had all the extras fitted,......though I'm not sure that I could put up with a boxer engine period.

They have been around for years now and I could have only spent half the amount of money that I paid for my TTSE but after hearing about all the drive shaft bearing failures and electrical problems that BMW have failed to fully address/resolve after all these years, I'm totally put off that brand.