Poll

What age group are you in as an owner/rider of 2012 & up TT(SE) ???

70 or older
65 - 69
60 - 64
55 - 59
50 - 54
45 - 49
40 - 44
35 - 39
30 - 34
25 - 29
20 - 25
Teenager

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Age survey  (Read 8086 times)

Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Blue TTSE
  • City / Town: Cambridge IL
Re: Age survey
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 07:43:27 pm »
I was surprised to see that the age group that I belong to, (63) is the largest percentage of owners in the survey.  I would have thought that the demographic of ownership would be much younger!
2014 - Trophy SE - Pacific Blue
1988 - Honda Goldwing (Sold)

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 10:10:03 pm »
*Originally Posted by TTSE14 [+]
I was surprised to see that the age group that I belong to, (63) is the largest percentage of owners in the survey.  I would have thought that the demographic of ownership would be much younger!

that's a general trend in the motorcycling population and a real concern for the furure of the industry
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 10:49:31 pm »
Not too surprising for so many of mid life/seniors/retired types to be drawn to this bike, because people under 40 may not be able to afford it!  The motorcycling trend toward older riders may also have something to do with the fact that as we get up in years, we eventually become empty nesters.  Motorcycling is inherently more dangerous than other forms of transportation, but none of us want our children to grow up without their parent(s).  Not to mention I have no grandchilden either.     :110:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:53:26 pm by dsinned »
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 07:30:20 am »
Motorcycling is inherently more dangerous than other forms of transportation, but none of us want our children to grow up without their parent(s).

Exactly the reason I gave up biking for twenty years... Mine are all grown-up and flown the nest, mostly  :046:
I took early retirement (redundancy), downsized the house and got a garage for the first time ever  :152:

I look on being in the largest percentage of Owners by Age as confirmation that the older you get the wiser you become....we're not bothered by what's fashionable  or what other people think.
We know what we like and what suits us and just go for it and enjoy the ride.
The Trophy IS the best ride ever..
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline cecilt

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2015, 12:55:34 pm »
This is still a fairly small sample of respondents. I would hazard a guess that older members spend more time on the forum, while younger members may be out working, or enjoying their ride. I am also of the age where I may have forgotten if I had voted previously, and then vote twice or three times  :112:. This all adds up to the possibility that the ownership profile is skewed to the more mature side  :002:
cecilt

Offline Diver

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2015, 09:03:56 pm »
I think the reason for older gentlefolk to ride bikes is to get some peace and quiet away from the ball and chain at home. I gave up bikes in my early 20's in order to get a car to be able to take lady folk out and about.
Then it's marriage, mortgage, work, kids etc etc,  As kids get older, instead of being their best oppo and play mate, you get appointed as Minister of transport and finance, so with time on our hands and a nice selfish streak developing, it's Motorbike time again.

Offline CecilSaxon

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE~ SOLD
  • City / Town: Middle TN
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 04:48:07 am »
Nah, I have been married over 25 years and my wife encourages me to ride and get out of the house... hey wait a minute. She uses motorcycles to get rid of the old ball and chain! :028:

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 04:13:56 pm »
*Originally Posted by Diver [+]
I think the reason for older gentlefolk to ride bikes is to get some peace and quiet away from the ball and chain at home.
It isn't my reason as I never gave up riding but I could certainly see this as a primary reason
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch