Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Triumph tank bag...is that strap actually "required"  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 trophy se
  • City / Town: Cincinnati
Triumph tank bag...is that strap actually "required"
« on: September 30, 2015, 01:44:57 pm »
I'm looking over accessories for the trophy and came across the tank bag and install instructions. i was surprised to see that there seems to be quite a bit of installation to perform with the bag and it seems like the bag was designed to stay on at all times. I tend to use a tank bag sporadically and love the magnetic mount "ease of use" on previous bikes. when i looked at the bike itself, i thought those cut outs enabled the tank bag to simply click in and go. I think thats still the case untill we start talking about that front strap that get more permanently installed.

is that front strap a necessity, or do the slots alone give you enough stability to use "sporadically"?

Greygoose

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: Triumph tank bag...is that strap actually "required"
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 02:12:16 pm »
Install takes every bit of twenty minutes and the front strap/buckle is what holds the bag in place. The bag fits into the two rear notches and then the front buckle holds it in place. I would not trust the rear notches alone to hold the bag. When I installed mine I also installed a strap/buckle for the small Eclipse bag that I use. All of my bikes have some sort of tank bag mounted at all times. They are the most convenient item I have on my bikes. Finding a tank bag that would work on the TT other than the Triumph bag is a challenge. I use the Triumph bag only when traveling two up for our rain gear and small items such as sunglasses etc. The small eclipse bag is in place otherwise.

Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 trophy se
  • City / Town: Cincinnati
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 02:29:33 pm »
So that strap just flaps around on the front when not it use?

how long does it take to remove the middle panel and replace / remove the bottom tabs after the strap is installed?

Thanks,

Greygoose

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 02:46:13 pm »
It doesn't flop around as its pretty short and sits in a recess.  It's more like a buckle than a strap.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 02:52:48 pm by Ernest T »

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 07:47:16 pm »
*Originally Posted by Greygoose [+]

how long does it take to remove the middle panel and replace / remove the bottom tabs after the strap is installed?

As NavyDad indicated, about 20 minutes for the entire install.  One time only.  After initial setup you can either use the tank bag or not.  You will not know the difference without the bag on.  The buckle will just lay flat in it's own recess per the photo by Ernest T.
You can remove it and place it on the seat for fueling in about 5 seconds.  And put it back on just as quickly/easily. 
All in all I think it's a pretty clean setup.   

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 08:13:47 pm »
Best tank bag I have ever owned and I have owned many.

Sure, it doesn't have multiple pockets to help organize, but ditty bags and Ziploc storage bags take care of that.

The ease of use and no rubbing on the paint make it number one.

Offline Ebenezer

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 TT Lunar Silver
  • City / Town: Apeldoorn
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 09:00:22 pm »
*Originally Posted by NavyDad [+]
Install takes every bit of twenty minutes and the front strap/buckle is what holds the bag in place. The bag fits into the two rear notches and then the front buckle holds it in place. I would not trust the rear notches alone to hold the bag. When I installed mine I also installed a strap/buckle for the small Eclipse bag that I use. All of my bikes have some sort of tank bag mounted at all times. They are the most convenient item I have on my bikes. Finding a tank bag that would work on the TT other than the Triumph bag is a challenge. I use the Triumph bag only when traveling two up for our rain gear and small items such as sunglasses etc. The small eclipse bag is in place otherwise.

I found such a tank bag: the Touratech Ambato Exp. Great accessory!

Henk