Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] 2013 Head Issue. is it really just noise?...please help ASAP  (Read 15267 times)

• Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro  ‐    132
    • Topic Author

Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 trophy se
    • City / Town: Cincinnati
    2013 Head Issue. is it really just noise?...please help ASAP
    on: Sep 30, 2015, 08.39 pm
    Sep 30, 2015, 08.39 pm
    Was getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2013 and come to find out that the bikes VIN falls in the range that had excessive head noise. dealer is telling me that of all the bikes they've done, the fix has never made a difference in head noise.

The job is a big job and they have to replace a ton of stuff. He's telling me that they will honor the fix throughout the life of the bike and its up to me as to when (or if ) to have it done. this particular bike when pulled next to the same bike outside the VIN sounds exactly the same and the VIN falls towards the end of the range that triumph targeted for the fix

question:
    1. is this fix strictly done for just excessive noise is there some type of other issue down the road  that may interfere with the  bikes longevity?
    2. has everyone opted in for the fix and if so, did they have any issues or problems with the repairs (this is one hell of a major servicing).
    3. Is there any reason the group can think of to not have it done? or to have it done?

please advise and thanks

Greygoose

• Offline cropbiker   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    4933

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
    • Midlands biker
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Worcester
    Re: 2013 Head Issue. is it really just noise?...please help ASAP
    Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2015, 08.45 pm
    Sep 30, 2015, 08.45 pm
    The fix was purely described as an optional exercise to cure excessive noise noted by some owners

I went for the fix and did notice a slightly smoother engine sound but then mine wasn't a massive problem before hand.

Good reasons to have it done.... I got an extension to the warranty on the engine.... peace of mind that i had had it done

Risks of having it done.... well anytime they strip an engine down that much there is a risk depending on the quality of the mechanic that it doesn't go back together so well
    Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

• Offline Ernest T   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1102

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Salado, Texas
    Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2015, 08.45 pm
    Sep 30, 2015, 08.45 pm
    It's noise and excessive wear on the head and shim buckets.

• Offline janfmiller   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    966

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • Bike: Was: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
    Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2015, 09.09 pm
    Sep 30, 2015, 09.09 pm
    My '13 was deafeningly loud, I actually added padding to my helmet over my ears.  After the mod, while it still has the characteristic Triple-Rattle it is majorly quieter.   Guess it's personal, I found it completely unacceptable and could not believe something could sound like that and not be on the verge of fragging something..  Very glad I had it done. 
    1977 Suzuki TS-185
    1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
    2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT
    2016 Yamaha FJ-09 (replaced getting-heavy-for-me '13 TTSE-103,000 miles)

• Offline atrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    522

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
    • City / Town: SW Ohio
    Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2015, 09.43 pm
    Sep 30, 2015, 09.43 pm
    My bike falls in the vin range too, but I don't consider it too noisy.
    If the dealer will honor the repair for the life of the bike you should have no worries.
    I may ask for it at the 20,000 mile valve check when it;s all apart anyway.
    Good luck
    2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
    2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
    IBA 24605

• Offline Diver

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Member  ‐    37

Offline Diver

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Member
    Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2015, 09.49 pm
    Sep 30, 2015, 09.49 pm
    I had a 2012 Explorer, which was one of the first bikes to suffer the head problem. Basic engineering principles dictate that noise is caused when two surfaces come together, now if the noise is excessive, it means those two surfaces are hitting each other harder than they should, meaning excess wear.

Mine was sent back to Hinckley and came back a far better bike, took 2 weeks but very glad I did it, especially as I've just traded it in against a Trophy, and the first thing the dealer asked was " Has it had the head work done?"

• Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro  ‐    365

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: San Jose CA
    Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2015, 10.18 pm
    Sep 30, 2015, 10.18 pm
    Like I said in a related thread, it's a "judgement call". 

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" also comes to mind. 

Only you can assess the particular bike in question.  You already compared it to a (newer?) bike and said it sounded about the same.  That would be enough for me to defer replacing the head until either the noise suddenly intensified or something else major goes wrong to justify pulling the head off of an otherwise healthy engine.

Again, a head replacement is a MAJOR repair job, and if not done precisely correct, could very well cause other unintended consequences.

How close is the bike to the next major service interval to have the valves adjusted?  Since replacing the head should include adjusting the valves, required at 10,000 mile intervals, I would just wait until then, thus avoiding a significantly expensive (non warrantied) maintenance requirement.  Your ace in the hole is the dealer's commitment to perform the head replacement over the life of the bike, but you should get that in writing so there is no possible misunderstanding.

Or, keep looking for a good deal on a newer model that mitigates this whole issue. 

Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

• Offline w8d4it   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5340

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Houston Texas
    Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2015, 11.08 pm
    Sep 30, 2015, 11.08 pm
    If you are going to buy a 2013 I would have it done.  I know that at least one other on this forum said that Triumph Co would not honor the fix after the 2 year warranty had expired.  He was able to negotiate an alternative deal that involved trading his bike in.  So I think there is a good chance that if your dealer says he will honor the fix indefinitely then you are talking about a dealer (not Triumph) backed fix.  This could be problematic if 1) you sell the bike and the dealer says the fix was for your benefit and 2) you decide to move before the fix is done and then you either encounter a problem or want to sell an un-repaired bike in the covered VIN to a third party.  I think that will diminish your value.   

As for results I did notice a substantial noise reduction and I do believe, but cannot substantiate, I notice an increase in performance. 

While you are at it you should verify the ECU recall was performed.  Also make sure he will warranty the shift sensing switch as they are known to go.  Might say the same about the TPMS.
    Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
    2013 Triumph Trophy SE
    2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch