Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Radio - AM Band Noise  (Read 2284 times)

Offline jnmnblack

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Waterloo Ontario
Radio - AM Band Noise
« on: October 05, 2015, 02:56:00 am »
I like to get traffic reports from the local AM radio station.
Reception is clear when stopped or moving slowly, but noise intrudes as speed gets above 20 mph or so.
Above 50 mph it sometimes becomes clear again, but not always.

I tried turning off automatic volume control - but that did not help.
I am not using Bluetooth or GPS hookups.

Anyone else having similar issues?
Keep the rubber side down.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: Radio - AM Band Noise
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 07:01:51 am »
*Originally Posted by jnmnblack [+]
I like to get traffic reports from the local AM radio station.
Reception is clear when stopped or moving slowly, but noise intrudes as speed gets above 20 mph or so. Above 50 mph it sometimes becomes clear again, but not always.

I tried turning off automatic volume control - but that did not help.
I am not using Bluetooth or GPS hookups.

Anyone else having similar issues?
No doubt. Trying to get reasonable AM reception when the engine running on any motorcycle is more of a dream than reality. It should work fine if the AM  signal is VERY strong or the engine is off.

There are possible things one can do to try to improve AM reception, but don't expect a big difference. I wouldn't even try to use AM radio on a motorcycle myself. I am surprised they even add such useless functions as AM radio to motorcycles.

There can be rare exceptions where it works fine if you're close enough to the AM station's transmitter, but don't even expect it to work well most of the time when the engine is running.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 02:49:28 pm »
Fortunately we have an AM station about 40 miles away that is one of those megawatt things and there is no interference even more than 100 miles away, if you want it that is.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline paulpaul

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lacombe, AB
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 08:49:17 pm »
I have no problems listening to AM radio (no interference) and the station is about 160 km (100 miles) away.  I get the same "static" as in my car or home radio listening to the same station.  (CBC rocks  :046:)
Paul
1983 Honda V45
1993 Honda CBR 1000F
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 11:08:37 pm »
*Originally Posted by paulpaul [+]
I have no problems listening to AM radio (no interference) and the station is about 160 km (100 miles) away.  I get the same "static" as in my car or home radio listening to the same station.  (CBC rocks  :046:)
I prefer the NO static of the XM radio. And the no advertisements.

Come to think of it, I never even tried the AM or even the FM on my TTSE. No need with the XM radio that works everywhere in North America.

One of the big problems with am radio is that the ignition pulses are also AM (amplitude  modulation). So when the station is weaker than the ignition pulses, you hear mostly the ignition.

FM radio doesn't receive such amplitude changes. It needs a  frequency shift to detect, not amplitude.

Same with XM radio.

-Don- Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 01:48:28 am »
I rarely use the AM on the Trophy, and the FM only occasionally because in my area sometimes 20 miles from home or less the reception on my favorite FM gets spotty.  Mostly I use the satellite, with even fewer commercials than FM lately.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies