Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Last day of summer.  (Read 1882 times)

Offline geoffyboy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 silver TrophySE
  • City / Town: Moreton, Wirral
Last day of summer.
« on: October 05, 2015, 10:39:41 am »
Ok I know it is Autumn but lot's of bikers must haves checked the weather forecast and decided yesterday Sunday 4th could be the last warmish dry day for a long time and were out in great numbers. My wife and I set off for a ride in North Wales and soon found ourselves tagged on to the back of a ten or more bike convoy. I was interested to watch the two up Goldwing in front of us taking the tighter corners, until they eventually turned off and we were on our own again. Got zapped by a couple of sporty street bikes going through a particularly twisty section, but wasn't bothered as we were in comfort mode and I was practising trying to take the corners smoothly with little braking - have a bad habit of staying in too high a gear so I can't take full advantage of the engine braking and must work on this. Soon we arrived at the Ponderosa cafe above LLangollen which was absolutely chokka with bikes. Managed to get a space near another….gasp…. Silver TTSE and there could have been more but we wanted to get some food before it ran out…….the pasties had already gone……aaargh. Leaving the hordes behind we headed on to Betws y Coed another popular biker watering hole and yes it was crowded there too. Unusual sight was an owl - a  real live two foot plus one sitting in the front passenger seat of an old open topped jeep. No sign of the owner. Not surprisingly it was getting more attention from passers by than a B list celeb. After a good wander in the sunshine it was finally time to set off home. I was happily leapfrogging slowish convoys of cars, using the TTSE's lovely power when my wife sensibly told me to back off. Understandable as sadly there were two separate bike accidents on the nearby A470 that day. Last stretch after darkness had fallen and the temperature was dropping - put the heated seats and grips on, screen set nice and high and cruise control at 70. What a bike! Arrived home nice and fresh and had a go at putting the bike on the centre stand using Coconut's technique. Got stuck short of the tipping point and nearly pulled a muscle throwing my back in to it. lol. Great day, great bike…..only several months to wait before the warm sun reappears again……oh and thanks to my lovely wife for sharing the day with me.  :152: 
Life isn't a dress rehearsal so enjoy it.

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Re: Last day of summer.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 10:48:57 am »
geoffyboy

You don't need to store the trophy over winter :008: We do get some great clear frosty sunny days in the UK as you know.
I try to ride all year round especially as I only have so much leave time ashore. The good thing about the trophy is the weather protection. Winter riding quite roads ext.

Just been on google earth and checked out the roads in the Eden valley Wales looks a great ride. Need to venture from North Yorkshire and into Wales :008:
I did get some heated gloves just to take the nip off the top of the hands.

seadog
seadog

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 01:17:13 pm »
Hi Ralph,

yes the Eden Valley and North Wales have some lovely roads to explore. I can highly recommend tham as that is where we usually end up for a blatt out!

You are right about the weather protection too... basically if there isn't any snow or ice about then get out there!

Kevin
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 02:46:28 pm »
The higher level of maintenance in Wales than elsewhere should make it a great place to ride.  Traveling into Wales it is noticeable as soon as you cross the line.  I haven't been a lot of places there, just visiting and being given tour guide trips by the relatives.  Great fun, although no bike involved!
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 04:17:44 pm »
Nice report geoffyboy and the Trophy is perfect in the twisties in 3rd or 4th just rolling on and off the gas, chasing that 'vanishing' point.  No need to store the TTSE, lots of weather protection and for the very cold days there is always Gerbing.

If you make the effort to get out very often you are rewarded with a great traffic free ride.

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline geoffyboy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 silver TrophySE
  • City / Town: Moreton, Wirral
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 05:07:30 pm »
Oh I won't be storing the bike. Would miss riding it too much. I will definitely be getting out on the lovely sunny Winter days that Seadog mentions,  taking advantage of the TTSE's great weather protection and warming aids. And I will keep practicing my low braking cornering Garmin Dave…..it certainly needs it! By the way I forgot to mention that a largish bird (grouse/pheasant) fell out of a tree, stone dead, on to the road ahead of us….fortunately not straight ahead of us! Never seen this before whilst driving or riding. Just glad it didn't land on us  :005:. Guess our Australian friends are used to half stoned Koalas raining down on them all the time.  :015:
Life isn't a dress rehearsal so enjoy it.

tweedy-bunch