Pannier lid covers by Coconut
[Today at 06:53:46 am]

Signal Dynamics Backoff Headlight by Ridefree
[Today at 03:06:28 am]

can I fit tire size 180 on rear? by rpeters549
[Yesterday at 06:37:39 pm]

Items for Sale by Stelyn
[Yesterday at 05:34:12 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Oh No!! Not another passenger floorboard thread.  (Read 3997 times)

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Oh No!! Not another passenger floorboard thread.
« on: October 06, 2015, 07:59:44 pm »
I like my Trophy. I like it well enough that I would replace it with another Trophy if the worst would happen. My wife will tell you the same thing, EXCEPT!!!, she doesn't like footpegs. Probably a throwback to our Goldwing days. I engineered a nice set of mini floorboards for our RT and she was happy. Then I bought the Trophy. She has been at me for floorboards and I have been telling her that no one offers them and I am not going to just cobble any old item on the bike. I want something that I can remove when the time comes and put the bike back as if it had never seen a floorboard. I figured she would adapt  :151: A year and a half and 33,000 miles and still  :233:
Enter my trip to Iron Pony yesterday. I was browsing the price mark down aisle when I spied about 20 sets of passenger floorboards for a Suzuki VL800 cruiser. What made these different is the fact that the flat floorboard was bolted to the bracket and could be separated, also they were marked down from $89 to $49  :062: I bought a set, removed the rubbers from the passenger pegs, and drilled a 5/16 inch hole in the peg. Then I removed the bracket from the boards, centered the board where my wife said was comfy, marked and drilled a 5/16 hole in the board. The board would not set level on the peg because of the way the peg was made so I had to scare up two 1/4 inch spacers. Bolted the board to the peg with the spacer in between and presto passenger floorboards. They even fold up well enough as to not interfere with moving the bike. Remove the bolt, the spacer, and the boards, install the factory rubber and the bike is stock. Best part is my wife thinks I am the best thing since hair coloring  :046:

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
Re: Oh No!! Not another passenger floorboard thread.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:09:38 pm »
I'm glad my wife doesn't look at these forums.  LOL!

Nice mod.  I would have to lower the pegs if I did this mod for the wife. 
She wants me to mount highway pegs so she can put her feet on my pegs when we are on the open road.

PS:  got to visit Iron Pony in 2010.  It was like the Internet came to life before my eyes.  Never saw a selection lime they have in one place.  You would think that would be here in the south where we ride most year round.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 08:12:00 pm by twowheeladdict »

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 08:37:36 pm »
You should come back. They now have Honda, Indian, Victory, Ducati, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki,  Aprillia, and Triumph motorcycles as well as all of the other cool stuff. Prices are not too bad either. One big place it is.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 10:35:06 pm »
Absolutely brilliant solution for the passenger. Nice job!  :028:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 09:08:56 am »
Hi NavyDad,

They look really good, and the design works well with the lines of the Trophy  :047:

I do have one reservation though, which is to do with the strength of them.

When the Pillion climbs aboard there is usually a point where all of their weiight is borne
by just the one footpeg on the side they are climbing up from.

As the boards are only secured by that one bolt in the centre, what would happen
if too much weight were to be exerted forward of the mounting bolt point ?

Is the mounting strong enough so as not to bend or break under such leverage ?

Cheers  :821:

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 10:54:56 am »
Nice job NavyDad and getting brownie points too, that is a great result.

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 02:07:10 pm »
Coconut. I mounted the bike the same way as my wife which is to use the riders peg to get on the bike and then scoot back to the co-riders perch using the rear pegs. For the ultimate test I stood on each board with my 185 lb body. No issues. Since my wife who is rather short uses my pegs to mount and dismount and never really stands or puts full weight on the boards I think they will be fine. I was a bit concerned about that being a problem and I plan on keeping an eye out for any future failures, but for now they passed my abuse test. I had the same set up on our RT for several years with no problems and the 1100/1150 RT was prone to breaking at the rear peg/saddlebag mount.

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 07:55:56 pm »
Nice mod NavyDad.  When folded up it looks like they are chrome plated underneath the floorboard pegs.  Is the reason for the spacers just to keep them flat (i.e. relatively parallel to the ground)?
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.