Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: First long tour on the Trophy  (Read 2690 times)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
First long tour on the Trophy
« on: May 08, 2013, 04:44:57 AM »
Well this is kind of a repeat of another post in a different forum but it seems most appropriate here.  In mid April I flew up to Canandaigua NY to pick up my new Trophy from my brother's dealership. I rode it around the Finger Lakes region for 500 miles to break it is so I could get the first service done before riding back to Texas. The weather was pretty bad. First day the weather was sunny but cool with the temps in the 40s. Second day was sleet and snow with temps between 30 and 36. So much sleet built up on the windshield I could not see through it. Fortunately the windshield adjusts so I could lower it to see over it. Third day was raining with temps in the 50s. Got the bike serviced.

Then headed out for Texas but NY weather had to have the last laugh. Rained on me  all the way out of NY with temps in the 40s.  Sun came out in Harrisburg PA. Rode on to Lexington VA. Next day was greeted by rain and temps in the 60s. Toured around my old university stomping grounds and headed out. Rode to Knoxville TN. Woke up to spectacular weather and had a very pleasant ride on the Natchez Trace down to Tupelo MS. Woke up the next day and toured Elvis' birthplace and museum. Continued on the Natchez Trace down to Vicksburg. Toured the battlefield and museum. Fantastic weather the whole time. Continued onto Shreveport LA. Woke up to pouring rain. Terrible storms. Rode all the way to Houston in a downpour.

Throughout it all the bike performed perfectly. Not a single problem in 2600 miles. Very pleased with the bike thus far. Never owned a driveshaft bike before. Nice to not have to worry about chains in the rain and adjustments.

I got home, pulled into the garage and introduced the Trophy to my 955ST. Told the ST not to be jealous. After all the ST and I go back 11 years and it has taken me all over the US and Canada, even to Alaska. I told the ST it will never be replaced.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Online john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: First long tour on the Trophy
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 11:52:32 AM »
Sounds like a good run.  Perhaps a tour of America is on the cards especially if you could hire a TT !!!

john

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 05:31:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by john348 [+]
Sounds like a good run.  Perhaps a tour of America is on the cards especially if you could hire a TT !!!

john
That is a thought you should follow up on as you will be amazed at the size and diversity of the nature of this country.  Cit diversity...ah not so much. Most US cities look similar, especially the suburbs and shopping malls.  But the mountains, valleys, rivers, deserts, forests, etc are spectacular.  Take the tour.  I have been do so for 45 years
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Online john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 10:40:11 AM »
I will probably be over in San Diego in November (speaking at a conference). I am often in Ney York and Buffalo (I have relatives living in both those cities).  Last time I was over I drove between the two (well they are in the same county!!!) but in a car.

I used to get to the states more often on the 802 committee and we used to meet all over the place.  But I have nor seen much of the real countryside as we were always in meetings. 

I think it is time to take time and take a tour?

John

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 05:23:15 PM »
Whoa John there are 62 counties in New York State and NYC and Buffalo are not in the same county.  They are nearly 400 miles apart.  And to be frank most upstate New Yorkers wish that New York City were in a different state. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 10:55:41 PM by w8d4it »
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Online john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 10:52:30 AM »
On purpose I was using the UK version of county???  I.e. they are both in the 'Shire' of NY?? 

I set out from Pheonix once with 3 others in a hire car to visit the grand canyon  Well we did have an afternoon!!!  Needless to say we go no where near?  We drove for  hours and looked at the map and seemingly had hardly moved any closer so turned round and drove back.

Ok our idea of distances are different form yours????  There again if we drove for those sort of distances we would be getting very wet?

John

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 07:44:24 PM »
Just kind of giving you a hard time.  Mostly about Buffalo and NYC being in the same county.  At the risk of offending any NYC riders, I can assure you that most Upstate New Yorkers wish that NYC were not even in the same state.  Mostly a strong belief that Upstate is footing the bill for the big city and that the liberal politics of NYC control the state even though the people from the city have no clue what is is like to live outside a metropolis such as NYC.  But unfortunately both houses of the NY state government are decided before you even get outside NYC. 
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Quinn

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Durham, NC
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 08:10:47 PM »
In England, two hundred miles is a long distance.  In America, two hundred years is a long time.

------
------------
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

tweedy-bunch