Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Question for those who repair their own tires  (Read 1158 times)

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Question for those who repair their own tires
« on: October 10, 2015, 07:02:32 pm »
Very slow leak on rear PR4.  About 5K miles left, so decided to do an internal patch.
Upon removal, there seems to be no puncture in the inner liner under the breach in the tread?
Pics show the outside, inside, and inside with a small screwdriver inserted to highlight the puncture area.

What to do???
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline kniterider

• Trophy Pro
  • Dont smoke, gamble or drink BUT I DO RIDE
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 14 TTSE 86 GL1200
  • City / Town: Dunkirk, Md
Re: Question for those who repair their own tires
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 07:09:32 pm »
I am leary of just placing a single layer patch on the inside of any tubeless tire.  You still have that puncture in the tread area with nothing to protect that extremely thin patch material..   I have used the umbrella self vulcanizing plugs for over 40 years.  They form an inner patch with the umbrella part and leave a thick rubber plug in the damaged area  that eventually becomes part of the tire thru tire build up heat after a very short time   Napa sells these  JUST MAKE sure you get the plugs with the orange coating on them,,   that is the self vulcanizing coating
A nasty weather day riding is still better than any day working

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Re: Question for those who repair their own tires
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 07:14:42 pm »
*Originally Posted by kniterider [+]
I am leary of just placing a single layer patch on the inside of any tubeless tire.  You still have that puncture in the tread area with nothing to protect that extremely thin patch material..   I have used the umbrella self vulcanizing plugs for over 40 years.  They form an inner patch with the umbrella part and leave a thick rubber plug in the damaged area  that eventually becomes part of the tire thru tire build up heat after a very short time   Napa sells these  JUST MAKE sure you get the plugs with the orange coating on them,,   that is the self vulcanizing coating

Great advice, thanks!!!  I was thinking of using a combination of a 'sticky rope' seal ( I've successfully used them on the side of the road for years, but view them as a temporary 'get it home' solution ) AND an inside patch, which is exactly what 'umbrella patch' sounds like it does!   Back in the day I used to use 'burn them on' self-vulcanizing patches, you clamped them on, peeled back and edge, lit them with a match and they burned with a horrible vapor for 5 minutes or so.  When they worked, they were bulletproof.

In anycase, I'll ride it easy while I'm on the patched tire... ( tyre to my across the pond friends )...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...