Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Audio in jack  (Read 4638 times)

Offline Luckycharms

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Pennsylvania
Audio in jack
« on: May 08, 2013, 03:06:46 PM »
I'm picking up my new trophy in a couple weeks and I'm having the dealer install the GPS mount for my zumo 550. I'd like to pipe in the audio to the bike and I wondered if the audio in is a female or male connector. As in: do I need to buy a male/male cable or a male to female cable? Also do you know if it needs to be an isolated lead or can it just be a regular 3.5mm lead? Thanks guys.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 (gone)
2004 Suzuki SV650S (gone)

Online john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: Audio in jack
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 03:48:18 PM »
the regular Garmin 660 lead fits straight in.  It is a jack plug on the bike to mate with the socket on the 660 cradle leads.

So if you are using the normal cradle wiring nothing is needed.

john

Offline Luckycharms

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 10:05:58 PM »
I have a Garmin 550. No leads come with it. I'm currently using an autocom isolation lead with my autocom system - http://www.rocketmoto.com/index.php/autocom-interface-for-garmin-zumo-gps-for-use-with-bluetooth-phone.html
So what I'm asking is is the audio in plug on the Trophy a male or female plug. Do I need to use a cable like this instead? - http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-AUD-1100-25-Stereo-Cable/dp/B000V6R2OK

Also can you use a 4 pole socket or a 3 pole socket? The fourth pole is for the microphone application for voice control. If you paired a phone with the zumo and then had it connected to hardwired to the bike. Could you use your bluetooth headset to talk to the zumo through the bike's bluetooth system?

Offline Quinn

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Durham, NC
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 10:26:31 PM »
I've also got a Zumo550 and haven't picked up my bike yet, so I'lm interested in how all this works out for you.  Ideally, I'd like to bluetooth connect my unsmart phone to the Zumo so I can have access to the phone directory on it.  Then bluetooth my Zumo to the radio so it will interrupt listening to music to give me directions and take/make  phone calls.  Which means that my radio would also have to be bluetoothed to my headset.  I wonder, if all that works, if the radio will be in stereo and if a second headset can also be paired with the radio.  And, of course, the headsets would have to be paired to each other for intercomm purposes, but that's a different channel and type of channel.

All in all, I've got a lot of futzing and frustration ahead getting it all sorted.  The secret is to take it in small steps and hide the hammer.
-----

------------
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 02:50:52 PM »
The better solution is to use the audio system as it was designed:

Get a genuine Garmin motorcycle mount cradle. The Triumph bracket was designed to be compatible with the Zumo 660 but can be fudged to work with the 550 mount (see other posts).

The Garmin cradle has a 3.5mm audio jack that plugs into the "nav audio" input socket buried in the front fairing.

Pair a compatible (don't get me started!) Bluetooth helmet/headset as "Helmet 1" on the Trophy.

Pair the phone as "Device 2" on the Trophy.

The bike audio system should then do all the muting etc. for satnav instructions and phone calls.

That's the theory anyway!

If you need a pillion helmet as "Device 2" you will have to pair the phone with the helmet or satnav directly as the Trophy only has two bluetooth channels.

Good luck!  :191:
BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline Luckycharms

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 03:38:54 PM »
Appreciate the reply BP but I don't think you understand my question. I have a garmin cradle. It has a 3.5 audio in jack/socket and a smaller 2mm(?) mic in jack/socket on the side of it. Is the factory audio in plug long enough to come up out of the dash ad plug into the side of the Garmin cradle? If so that's great because I wouldn't need an extension cable which is what I'm actually asking about.

The other thing that's confusing is people's terminology. A plug is the male end of a cable and a jack/socket is the female end. People seem to think these two terms are interchangeable and I don't believe they are.

So is the end on the bike a plug or a jack? If its a plug does it reach the GPS mount without and extension cable?

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bradford
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 03:57:12 PM »
http://www.triumphinstructions.com/ProdDocs/A9828009-EN.pdf

section23 its a plug and it won't reach your mount.
Might as well as wish we had.

Offline Luckycharms

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 04:23:21 PM »
Thanks!