Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Heated grip instal?  (Read 4634 times)

Offline FLTRI

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Road Glide Ultr
  • City / Town: Las Vegas, NV
Heated grip instal?
« on: October 14, 2015, 05:37:53 pm »
I'll be picking up an unsold 2013 TTSE sometime this week. I'll be installing heated grips and the top box myself. I've read through the instructions, and it seems pretty straight forward. I do have a couple of questions though.

1) Of those that have DIY the grips, are there any tricks, shortcuts or pitfalls I should be aware of before I start?

2) The instructions say the computer needs to be flashed so the heated grip icon lights up on the dash. It also says not to start the bike before you do the flash. Is there any risk riding the bike down to the dealer to get the flash done, after I'm done with the instal? Should I pull the heated grip fuse before I ride to the dealer?

Thanks!

Edit: I found the heated grip How To on another page, answered both of my questions. Hopefully, the jumper block do-hickey gets the icon to work...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 06:38:16 pm by FLTRI »
I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you there ain't nothing in the world I hate worse than that elephant under my ass.

Officer John Wintergreen reference his Electra Glide. -Electra Glide in Blue, 1973-

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
Re: Heated grip instal?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 07:47:03 pm »
I should have installed my heated grips as a "DIY" project, because the dealer's labor charge was $300, and that was after a new bike purchaser's 12% discount!  I purchased the grips and installation as part of the sale to buy the bike, and should have insisted on a "free" installation being included.  However, installation was done a few weeks later, so I no longer had any leverage.   I sincerely doubt the heated grips option is worth paying anywhere near $550 for parts and labor!!!  However, they do work well as does the icon on the LCD.

So next, I went the "DIY" route on a heated (std height) rider seat, only to realize I'll have to go a local dealer, just to have the seat heater icon enabled in the ECU!  Btw, nothing mentioned about this in the instructions.

ChaaChing once again!!!

I was going to forget about that matter, but the seat heater doesn't seem to heat up properly.  Now, I'm wondering if this is because of it not yet being enabled in the ECU, or due to some sort of defect in the seat or wiring kit?  Unfortunately, the only way to find out REQUIRES a trip to the dealer to hook up their diagnostic tool to do a simple ECU update for the heated seat option.   :233: 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 01:17:38 am by dsinned »
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 08:00:03 pm »
FLTRI,

I haven't done this install myself, but am aware that there are two different versions available -
one that that has the Plug you refer to which replaces a Blanking Plug in a socket under the Glovebox,
and which then ( should ) activate the Heated Grips Icons on the Instrument Panel,
and the other version ( for earlier Models ? ) where there is no such socket and plug
and the Icons have to be activated by the Dealer using their Diagnostic equipment connected to the Trophy.

Judging by other Members reports of Heated Grips failing, you need to make sure there are no sharp edges
on the handlebar where the wires are run, which can cut completely through the wire,
or even just through it's insulation and cause a short circuit which blows the fuse !

Pay particular attention to the routing of the heated throttle grip wire -
and make sure there is enough slack in the "loop" ( described in the Instructions ),
so that the wires are not pulled tight when the twist grip moves.

Cheers  :821:

Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Glendale, AZ
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 11:25:25 pm »
I have the heated grip kit sitting in my office awaiting for me to install them. On my bike, a 2013 TTSE production date of 12/2012, the heated grip icon comes on when I remove the rocker switch even though there are no heated grips installed yet. And yes I've checked that my bike doesn't already have heated grips installed.
Current Bikes
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Burgman 650
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT

Offline Studley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 05:35:27 pm »
Hey FLTRI, Coconut pretty much covered the errors one can make. Crimping / cutting of wires would be the one to worry about.

As far as a tip / shortcut is concerned, When you have the wires threaded and lying in their channels in the bars, they can pop out of place on re-assembly and become subject to pinch / crimp / cut. To avoid that and keep them in place you can use a short length of Scotch tape to hold them in place. [Electrical tape is too thick]

Other than that make sure the throttle action is not affected by their install and you should be OK.

Plug that comes with new kit eliminates the need for a trip to the shop for activation of indicator when in use.

On a side note, the one thing I like about the Triumph heated grips versus some of the aftermarket versions I have seen is there is no difference in the diameter of the heated versus the stock non-heated grips, in case you were wondering.

Best of luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy them

Studley

Offline FLTRI

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Road Glide Ultr
  • City / Town: Las Vegas, NV
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 06:18:56 pm »
Thanks for everyone's input!  :152:

Really looking forward to getting the bike home, the grips and top box installed, and start putting on some break-in miles!
I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you there ain't nothing in the world I hate worse than that elephant under my ass.

Officer John Wintergreen reference his Electra Glide. -Electra Glide in Blue, 1973-

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 12:40:43 am »
So, did you get the kit, or all the parts separately and save the $150?  Bike Bandit still shows all the bits separately at less than $100 total for all the required bits.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Autopilot

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 TT
  • City / Town: Bath
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 12:40:46 pm »
Make sure that you put some tape around the connectors that you plug in to the bike electrics.....self amalgamating is best.  I had mine disconnect a couple of times...and found only one grip worked....usually when I really needed them!

Also the connectors seem to sit in a little tray under the little glove box, or whatever it's called.  This little tray gets filled with water when you are on centre stand and washing the bike which can't do the connectors much good, so make sure these are in a good place.

And buy all the bits as seperately as per the bits on one of my old posts.  Mike just came on with he jumper, so no upload required.

tweedy-bunch