Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Cracking around screen mount holes?  (Read 1972 times)

Offline 1215

• Trophy Member
  • the tigers are resting!!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: East Yorks
Cracking around screen mount holes?
« on: October 15, 2015, 12:06:36 pm »
Has anyone else had the problem of the screen cracking around the mounting holes.
I have had the screen replaced under warranty previously but the replacement is showing the same issues.
I was wondering if I am using it at different positions'' too much'', when the gaffer SHMBO is on the back and we are ''making good progress'' I often have the screen very high to prevent buffeting on the back.
Adjustable screen should be able to be used in all the positions, surely, just not sure if there is an issue or is it just me?.... driver abuse ... too much ''good progress''
four wheels move the body,
two wheels move the soul.

Trophy SE/ Street Triple/ Tiger 800/ Yamaha WR450 crosser

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
Re: Cracking around screen mount holes?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 12:51:38 pm »
Haven't experienced any cracking in mine, but I just about always ride with it in the low position.

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 01:53:46 pm »
Cal-Sci gives some specific torque requirements for their products that caution about over tightening the fasteners which can cause cracking.  It takes very little torque for mine, but the factory shield is curved to fit the mounts a little better and may be made of different material.  I would suggest looking up the torque rating for it and checking/having it checked.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 03:23:56 pm »
If this is an OEM screen, then they cannot pin the blame on the rider.  Make sure the correct OEM fasteners and gaskets are used.  IIRC, these bolts have shoulders that set the correct spacing and tension on the screen, so over-torquing does not necessarily put more stress on the screen.  If  different gasket/washers were used, then it is possible for the bolts to be either too tight or too loose on the screen - both will cause issues.

BTW, which holes are you seeing the cracking?  Top, middle or bottom?  What is the crack orientation?  Horizontal, vertical, or otherwise?
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 03:40:54 pm »
The six bolts securing the screen in place should be tightened to just 3Nm,
so it would be quite easy over-tighten them !

As Volfy says, they do have shoulders on them so they should just "snug" up to the correct spacing.

Also, I assume you are not using any sort of chemical cleaning agent on the screen,
that could have got to where the mounting holes are ?
I'm thinking of products such as "Rain-Ex" which are designed to be used on GLASS,
and which are known to have detrimental effects on ACRYLLIC materials,
such as the Trophy screen, including making them go brittle and prone to cracking !

Offline 1215

• Trophy Member
  • the tigers are resting!!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: East Yorks
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 04:57:35 pm »
Cleaning product??????????????
Not a word used here much or so they keep telling me at A1.
There is not an issue other than it needs changing again and they will do it under warranty, I just had a bit of paranoia.... is it only me???
Only ever clean the screen with 'Bike wash' soap (Muck off or similar) water or a quick clean if not too buggy with Motul(Triumph recommended) wash wax spray.
The cracks have appeared radially two or three directions from top nearside(UK) and bottom Off side(UK)
the change was done by the dealer last time so should be right!
Will take a couple of pics tomoro'
Cheers, Mike.
four wheels move the body,
two wheels move the soul.

Trophy SE/ Street Triple/ Tiger 800/ Yamaha WR450 crosser

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 12:33:07 am »
Odd. My original windshield wasn't on it long enough to show any problems and hasn't been back on the bike in the last 8000+ miles.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies