Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Finger Lakes and Old Forge 2-up  (Read 3306 times)

Offline Tankertruck

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Uxbridge, MA
Finger Lakes and Old Forge 2-up
« on: October 15, 2015, 09:19:15 pm »
I thought I'd put a brief ride report on the forum for those of you who can't ride or are wondering how the bike does 2-up.

My wife and I took a ride from Uxbridge, MA to the finger lakes, and then returned via the Adirondacks and Lake George. 

On Wednesday, October 7th, we left Uxbridge after the kids got on the bus and drove to Skaneateles, NY via the Mass Pike, Rte 88, and Rte 20.  Overall, it was about a 7-hour trip with a stop in ... somewhere... for lunch.  We ate at the Tally Ho restaurant which had pretty good food.  Once we got to Skaneateles, we discovered that there were no hotel rooms available in the entire town, so we begrudgingly decided to drive to the (what I thought was a) hell-hole that was Auburn, NY for sleeping arrangements. 

Keep in mind my Dad runs a company in Auburn, and I spent many days in the "Prison City" installing gas pipeline and dealing with less than reputable people.  I haven't been back in 15 years.  So when we got there, I was shocked to see a decent level of revitalization occurring at and around the fire and police station.  We got a clean and well-priced room at the Holiday Inn, and (safely) walked to Moro's table, an absolutely outstanding restaurant.  There were no pictures of this because my wife is the one who is supposed to be documenting, and she forgot. 

The next day, we took a ride around Cayuga Lake, stopping at two wineries for my wife (I have a 0 tolerance policy for alcohol when I ride), and enjoying a lunch somewhere. 

Our first stop was at the Montezuma winery, which had an outstanding couple of wines my wife decided to buy, as well as an apple vodka.  This is me being semi-annoyed I can't taste.

The next stop on our mini-adventure was Taughannock Falls, which is a small state park just before you get to Ithaca.  It has both a beautiful overlook (free), and a state park portion where you can walk to the base of the falls.  The wife thought this was quite romantical. 

We then headed on into Ithaca to the Six-mile creek winery. 

We did this entire ride just so she could taste the lemoncello and orangecello - a drink we fell in love with while on the Amalfi cost - which turned out to be almost undrinkable in Ithaca.  Oh well...

We had a great lunch at the Pumpkin Hill Bistro along the east shore of the lake, and headed back to Auburn.  We ate dinner at the Prison City Brewery, which had outstanding pub food and wonderful flights of beer.  There are 3 craft breweries in the city, and apparently all of them are very good.  Apparently Auburn isn't the hell-hole I remember it being!

The next day we had planned to drive around Seneca lake and kind of do the same thing as the previous day, but torrential downpours (and apparently my non-waterproof "waterproof" boots) made us adjust our plans.  We visited with my sister and parents who live in Canastota.

Saturday dawn cold (40*) but beautiful, so we headed off to ride to Lake George via Old Forge and Blue Mountain Lake.  Heated grips and seats were used judiciously today. 

Traffic in Old Forge was terrible, and with the traffic from the leaf-peepers, we rarely got above 45 mph.  But it was a good ride. 

We arrived in Lake George only to find their Octoberfest in full swing, so there were no rooms available at any of the hotels we usually stay at.  We ended up getting the last room at the Best Western right on Rte 87, which was nice enough. 

Sunday had us ride home in more 40* weather on all super slab.  All told, we put about 1,000 miles on the bike, and it now sits at 1800+ miles. 

A couple things of note:

1. I really need to get comfortable on the bike and trust it's suspension.  It looks bigger, and it is much more 'twitchy' than either the Tenere or the C14 I had previously, so I wasn't always comfortable on turns.  I attribute this to me learning the bike and re-growing comfortable on a more responsive bike, and not the bike itself.  My belief is once I get comfortable on it I think you can drag pegs all day long.

2. The bike ran absolutely flawlessly in all kinds of weather conditions.  The only issue I had was the GPS mount, so I shelled out for a Zumo 660 and Triumph mount this week. I also am seriously contemplating the regular height heated seat, even though I can easily flat foot the low seat.  The motor is outstanding, and I think it's so linear that the bike feels slow at times (which it isn't) - something I need to get used to when I've had twins and more 'rushy' motors. 

3. The motor has started to make chirping and chain-like noises, and this got louder around 1200 miles.  I have contacted Triumph to chase down the head replacement, so I'll keep you updated as this develops.  The bike ran and started and idled perfectly the entire trip, but the noises don't exactly inspire confidence in longevity, and an Indian rider actually asked me what was wrong with my bike at one point on the trip, so I'm keen on getting it fixed. 

4.  The radio reception was meh at best once we got up into the adirondacks, so I think I might look into either an XM subscription or an I-pod-thingey.  Or maybe my wife's phone can stream Pandora. 

5.  The wife has declared this the best bike we've owned so far for 2-up riding (tiger 1050, FJR, Tenere, C14).

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
Re: Finger Lakes and Old Forge 2-up
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 09:26:32 pm »
Good write up Tankertruck and good photos   :028: glad your enjoying the  Bike.... :821:
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 01:01:01 am »
Good trip report!

Please keep us posted on the head replacement.

I'm curious to know, why you are considering the regular height rider seat?  You don't look that tall in the photo.
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 04:11:40 am »
Tanker truck

Good trip write up and great Autumn pictures. Glad you are enjoying the bike.

Seadog
seadog

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 07:29:16 am »
Thanks for sharing Tankertruck excellent photos.

I too enjoyed Limonchello on the Almalfi coast, I too enjoy my TTSE; does this mean we are brothers? :745:

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline Tankertruck

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 02:27:38 pm »
dsinned: I'm not super tall, but measure 6'-1" tall in my riding boots, so I can easily flat foot the bike.  I'm used to the Tenere where I could only put the balls of my feet down, so being able to flat foot is not really a huge deal to me.  I don't think you drop a bike because you can't flat foot (it usually seems to involve slow speed and the front brake), and don't quite understand the obsession with being able to flat foot in the USA. 

I'm considering the taller seat for 2 reasons.  The first is hip/knee positioning.  I like my hips pointed downward just a little bit when riding, and don't really like them flat/parallel to the ground, or angled upwards at all.  Another 1/2" in seat height would probably allow that (they are basically parallel to the ground now, so I find myself sitting on the extreme back of the seat where it connects to the passenger seat to try to gain some extra elevation).  The second is my wife likes to be protected by me from the wind as we ride.  Right now, she's about 1/2"-1" above me at the top of helmets, so this would cover that request. In addition, I'd gain some forward and backward movement on the seat, which is never bad on long days.  It's not a "I NEED THIS NOW" sort of change, but it's something I think makes sense.  I am also considering a 1" riser install, which I might have fabricated first at a local shop before getting the seat. I know there is the super cheap version on the forum, but that design doesn't instill confidence in me.

I was pretty comfortable on the bike, even after seven hours in the saddle, but I noticed a tightness in my hips, neck (need a new helmet) and behind my shoulder blades on most days over 4 hours.  I'd like to attempt to eliminate this soreness if possible.  We plan on doing a ride out to Nova Scotia next year, and that will involve a few 7-hour days to get up there. 

GarminDave:
If you drink limonchello (you even spelled it right!), then we can be brothers - or maybe cousins.  I'm fine with that.  However, that only applies if you drive the slower color Trophy (you know, the blue one).    :164:  Plus, you're from the UK, and I'm from Boston, so I think I'm supposed to dump tea or coffee on you whenever I see you, which could make our relationship slightly awkward. 

I'll keep everyone up to date on the head replacement.  I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow AM, and have already contacted Triumph NA regarding the issue (they've been extremely helpful), so I don't expect too much of an issue.  My only concern is having someone else work on my bike. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 02:29:57 pm by Tankertruck »

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 04:51:34 pm »
"GarminDave:
If you drink limonchello (you even spelled it right!), then we can be brothers - or maybe cousins.  I'm fine with that.  However, that only applies if you drive the slower color Trophy (you know, the blue one).    :164:  Plus, you're from the UK, and I'm from Boston, so I think I'm supposed to dump tea or coffee on you whenever I see you, which could make our relationship slightly awkward.  "

Well I ride the very fast Silver colour (note the spelling of colour!).  Don't fancy having tea or coffee dumped on me so we best just stay distant cousins.

I used to work for GTE Sylvania and we had a facility at Salem, where the witches come from and spent some time in Boston; retired now and no desire to run the gauntlet of your Homeland Security, I'd rather keep all my orifices as they are!

Now if you want to ride in Europe come on over I know a lovely route through Scotland and I won't hold the spelling of colour against you at all.

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline Tankertruck

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 12:20:32 pm »
Just a little update on the head:

I've contacted triumph, and they have agreed to change the head if the dealer can document the noise.  It was pretty easy and they referenced the Technical bulletin and everything.  Very straight forward and open about everything. 

I had, for about 200 miles on our trip, what I would consider was some decent 'chirping' when the engine was warm, starting at 1,200 miles.  It faded away on the trip home, but it was still there.  It wasn't obnoxious or anything, but it was noticeable at idle, and only noticeable when moving for about 200 miles.

I had an appointment on Saturday AM, and I rode the bike the 30 miles to the dealer. The bike (of course) was making no noise other than exactly how it should sound, and idled quieter than I've ever heard it for the entire ride.  I attribute this to it being scared of getting surgery.  We all agreed that it made the most sense to not do anything if it wasn't making the noises.  However, I had them document my concern for the future, and they said they saw no issues getting it changed under warrantee if it was making strange noises. 

tweedy-bunch