Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Fresh Oil Makes It Better  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
Fresh Oil Makes It Better
« on: October 17, 2015, 12:55:41 am »
I'm sure this has probably been mentioned many times here before. I just finished putting on new tires and a oil and filter change on the TTSE. Getting it ready for Florida's best riding season (winter) mild temps and very little rain. It just amazes me how much smoother & quieter the transmission runs and how much better the bike runs overall with new oil. Just about every bike that I've owned has shown this, but the Trophy really seems to shine a little more so than the others. I usually try to do an oil change every 3000 to 4000 miles. I cant imagine what it sounds like going 10,000 miles in between oil changes as stated in the manual. My transmission usually starts feeling and sounding a little clunky after a couple thousand miles, so the bike really appreciates the new oil.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 12:58:29 am by Zebraranger »

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
Re: Fresh Oil Makes It Better
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 01:22:14 am »
Good to know and hear.  Thanks!

Btw, I have two gallons (8 liters) of rather expensive, fully synthetic, Mobil 1 Racing Oil 4T 15W-50.  It's API "SJ" and JASO "MA" certified.  I bought this oil from a Triumph dealer about 10 years ago, for another bike, but never used it.  I almost forgot I had it stored in my garage until just recently.

Although it is ten years old, and I think the API certification is out of date, is it still safe to use in my new TTSE?  It's enough for the next two oil changes and will save me money if I do the oil changes myself.

Comments?
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline Trophy Tom

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy
  • City / Town: Hudsonville Mich.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 01:26:00 am »
I've read post like this before and I guess it's just me but I could really never really notice any difference. I change my oil more often than most to maybe that has something to do with it
Trophy Tom

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 03:48:47 am »
My butt dyno is way out of calibration to tell any difference.  But if you can, fantastic.

Dsinned, I would not hesitate to use that Mobil 1, though I would wait till spring summer to put that in.

Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

tweedy-bunch