Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: There is no heated seat problem!  (Read 17771 times)

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
There is no heated seat problem!
« on: October 18, 2015, 11:41:55 pm »
From the heated grip message thread, but this is for troubleshooting the heated seat only.

dsinned,

Here is what you should check first, now that I see it works a lot different than I expected. I find below to best be done with clip leads from VOM leads to two  very small all metal screwdrivers, but making sure nothing shorts out. But anyway that you can measure on the small connector pins  will do. Try not to short anything out.

1. Disconnect the seat connector.

2.  Put black voltmeter lead on the pin the black wire of the connector goes to.  Put your red voltmeter lead on the pin to the Green/Red wire. Measure  the voltage on the bike connector with engine running, seat switch  on low.   Expect around 14 volts.

3. Now put your heater switch on "high" with engine running.  Black voltmeter lead as above, but red voltmeter lead to the green (no red) wire. Voltage there should also be around 14 volts when the engine is running.

And one more thing, do your icons work, showing one bar for low and two for high for the seat?  They seem to work by detecting the current through the element.

Check that for now and I will tell you what to check next after you get back to me.

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 05:41:54 am by DonTom »
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
Re: Heated seat problem
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 12:12:07 am »
Don, are you referring to taking voltage measurements at the "Bike" connector where the pigtail connector from the seat itself connects?  Is this the 6-ckt connector with only five wires attached on the RH side frame rail under the seat?  If so, this is NOT one of the pre-existing connectors already on the bike that came from the factory, correct?  It is the connector by itself on one end of the harness that is marked with red tape just before the wires attach to the connector, right?

Just so I'm sure, this same connector also has two other wires attached; a pink/yellow and a green/blue, correct?

Unfortunately, I will have to strip part of the insulation off the three wires you specified to measure the voltages with the engine running, then put insulating electrician's tape around them to insulate again.  Is this the only way to do it

I have NO seat icon in the LCD because I have yet to get my local dealer to enable this feature in the ECM.  I'm waiting till my 500 mile service is due to get this done, hoping I won't have to pay for such a trivial thing  in addition to just paying for the 500 mile service alone.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:39:11 am by dsinned »
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 12:32:47 am »
Don, okay, I just took the voltage measurement you requested with the engine idling.  (Please see my last post to confirm I have identified the correct wires.)

Blk to Grn/Red = ???  (appears to be a capacitor between these two wires)

Blk to Grn = 14.5Vdc  (normal for engine idling)
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 12:38:06 am »
*Originally Posted by dsinned [+]
Don, are you referring to taking voltage measurements at the "Bike" connector where the pigtail connector from the seat itself connects?  Is this the 6-ckt connector with only five wires attached on the RH side frame rail under the seat?  If so, this is NOT one of the pre-existing connectors already on the bike that came from the factory, correct?  It is the connector by itself on one end of the harness that is marked with red tape just before the wires attach to the connector, right?

Just so I'm sure, this same connector also has two other wires attached; a pink/yellow and a green/blue, correct?

Unfortunately, I will have to strip part of the insulation off the three wires you specified to measure the voltages with the engine running, then put insulating electrician's tape around them to insulate again.  Is this the only way to do it?
Yes, that is it. I don't know why you cannot get to the pins of that connector when it is disconnected from the seat. I could, without any trouble.

But do both your seat heater icons work normally? One bar for low and two for high?  I discovered if there is no load, they do not indicate regardless of switch position. Perhaps they are checking for current draw. I need to check more to see what's going on.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 12:46:39 am »
Don, I do NOT have a heated seat icon, because it has not (yet) been enabled in the ECM. 

That unmated connector with the black, grn/red and green colored wires attached from the heated seat kit harness is the "female" side with respect to the contact terminals.   That is why I cannot get my multimeter probes on them to measure the voltage.  Are you saying yours has "male" contacts???
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:51:10 am by dsinned »

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 12:49:10 am »
Don, okay, I just took the voltage measurement you requested with the engine idling.  (Please see my last post to confirm I have identified the correct wires.)

Blk to Grn/Red = ???  (appears to be a capacitor between these two wires)

Blk to Grn = 14.5Vdc  (normal for engine idling)
Did you remember to move the switch from low to high seat heat  for each test? You will get no reading if you don't change the switch from high to low heat.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 01:01:24 am »
Sorry!  My mistake x2!!!

Stupid me!  I forgot about the switch!!!

Just rechecked and I got 14.x Vdc both times for each pair of wires depending on the switch position.  No voltage for either with switch in "off" position.

Also, I can indeed take the readings on the female contacts because my multimeter probes have sharp points that fit inside the female sockets just enough to touch the bare terminals.  I feel so STUPID!!!

Now that we have that cleared up, what's the next step?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:03:29 am by dsinned »

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 01:05:25 am »
Don, I do NOT have a heated seat icon, because it has not (yet) been enabled in the ECM. 

That connector with the black, grn/red and green colored wires attached from the heated seat kit harness is the "female" side with respect to the contact terminals.   That is why I cannot get my multimeter probes on them to measure the voltage.  Are you saying yours has "male" contacts???
Mine is just like yours, female at the bike connector, male on the seat.  That is why I used those very small metal microscrewdrivers going to clipleads to the VOM leads. The VOM leads won't fit in there, as you discovered.

Is it all still in warranty? I expect if they get those icons to work, they will have to fix the seat in the process, because those icons only indicate with a normal load from the seat heater as I just discovered.

-Don-  Reno, NV

tweedy-bunch