Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: #2 Spark Plug stuck in bike!!!  (Read 2111 times)

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
#2 Spark Plug stuck in bike!!!
« on: October 24, 2015, 11:49:36 pm »
Tearing Big Girl down for her 40K maint, all going pretty well, but upon removing her spark plugs, #1 and #3 came right out, in fact I'd say they were not properly tightened.

#2 however turned very tight, I eased it out about 5 turns and it seemed to jam.   Worked it back and forth and have been applying spray Liquid Wrench down the hole, letting it sit, and working it.   It is freeing up, and seems to be 'threading' ( as opposed to stripping )....   

Does this seem like the right way to proceed??   I'm a bit concerned that when it comes to the last few threads it might rip them out.

Or, of course, it's possible that it IS cross-threaded.   In that case, the 20K maint. was done my my dealer, and their tech is the one who'd have done it!!!  Imagine the morass THAT would be...

I had this happen once before years ago on an automobile, but the stakes were much lower then.  I got the plug out, cleaned it up with a proper tap, and all seemed well...   

Also found some missing internal bits and fasteners having to do with the airflow directing foam pieces.   One's missing entirely and the other has missing fasteners....

That's why I like to do as much as I can myself....

Any thoughts appreciated....

If I get it out sucessfully, I plan on using a bit of Never-Seize when replacing the plugs.  My BMW and I think ST1300 both called for that...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
Re: #2 Spark Plug stuck in bike!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 12:12:51 am »
Yikees!!!  I hope you get it out without stripping.  Unfortunately, doing the 40k service yourself and finding this problem probably means the dealer that did the 20K will deny any wrong doing, but I sure hope that mechanic gets out of the business!

Damned if you do, darned if you don't!    :157:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 05:29:14 pm by dsinned »
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 01:34:45 am »
Good news, after a 30 minute soak she came out ok.   No sign of thread damage, so hopefully the new plug will just shinnie right in with her light dab of never-seize...  Onward..

Bad news, in a way, is that I do have valves that need adjusting so will have to pull the cams..  Oh well, guess I'll just get more familiar with my girl's underpinnings..  And will need to no doubt order shims, which will allow me to order the parts I found MISSING or BROKEN from the last dealership trip...  :233:

so far it's a fairing bracket, a piece of foam air-direction material from atop the valve cover, and a 'fixings' as The Big T likes to say, for a couple of things, push-in plastic thingies whose heads are missing.

I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical about the way the airbox just pushes on to the throttle-body intakes.   Seems a likely source for a leak, especially as time goes on and the rubber hardens up.  Plan on applying a lot of Armor-all on the way out..
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline Trophy Tom

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy
  • City / Town: Hudsonville Mich.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 10:54:41 am »
WOW your taking on a big job good luck hope all goes well let us know
Trophy Tom

Offline Datum 28

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 01:41:39 pm »
I always keep spares - the push in plastic thingies are good to keep a few around - I tend to leave them on the floor when working and step on them. also keep a few of the small hex socket panel bolts (have had the dealer leave one out before - I have done the same thing though).

let us know how the valve adjustment goes - I need to update my spreadsheet calculator for the 1200...