Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Comfort Grips  (Read 1979 times)

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
Comfort Grips
« on: October 25, 2015, 10:23:16 pm »
The stock grips and even Triumph's heated accessory grips are rather small in diameter.  Even though  the Trophy was designed as a sport touring bike, and the upright riding position is fairly comfortable, I'm still getting some discomfort in my hands, particularly from the RH (throttle) side.  This occurs after only ~30 minutes of continuous - non-stop - riding. 

I'm contemplating putting on a pair of add-on "comfort" grips, so my stock grips have a slightly greater diameter and more of a cushion effect on my hands. 

Add on "comfort" grips are fairly inexpensive and easy to install over the stock ones, but do they really help make a difference in comfort, or is the strain on your hands inevitable the longer distances you ride ANY bike?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:26:27 pm by dsinned »
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline PaulG

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Brisbane
Re: Comfort Grips
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 10:39:46 pm »
I use the Grip Puppies brand and I find them excellent for my poor arthritic hands.

Paul

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 06:15:19 am »
I have mild arthritis in my hands, and found the addition of "Grip Buddies"
( other makes are available ! ) to be REALLY worthwhile - and inexpensive !

The additional size of the grips when fitted meant my fingers don't have to close as much,
making it much more comfortable, and the cushioning significantly reduced the amount
of "tingling" I used to feel from gripping the smaller stock grips too tightly.

If there is a disadvantage, then it is that heater elements take a little longer to warm up the
extra layer of the Grip Buddy, but for me that was a minor point - they still got warm enough to be effective.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 01:35:26 pm »
I have Grip Buddies from the original BeemerBuddies company in the US and they are excellent for comfort.  Mild arthritis, some Dupuytren's creeping up on me, and the Grip Buddies eliminate vibration, plus add a little extra diameter and feel better for my hands.  They are not expensive, they're wraps, and if you think they don't eliminate vibration all you have to do is let your pinky rest on the bar end for a second and the difference is very noticeable.  The new Sharkskin version that I have is supposed to last better than the original did, and mine have about 8000 miles on them and are still in good shape.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 04:25:14 pm »
Or you could do like my buddy Bob, to whom function always trumps form and expense, and zip-tie on pieces of water pipe insulation tubes.   Really!!!  He did!!!   Well, ok, I admit I did that too.. To my LAWNMOWER handle...    :745:
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

tweedy-bunch