Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trophy or Not to Trophy, that is the question...  (Read 7449 times)

Offline PolterGeist

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Pending
  • City / Town: Oregon
Trophy or Not to Trophy, that is the question...
« on: October 26, 2015, 03:55:31 am »
New to the forum, have been reading for a few weeks now to try and learn all that I can... Here's my Story..

I'm looking at getting back into riding after taking time off to let my 5 kids grow up, that job is successfully completed and its time to get back in the saddle. I want to have a bike that does two up exceptionally well and as of now I've got it narrowed to the Trophy and the Concours. I am really impressed with both bikes, leaning towards the Trophy but have some concerns. I have spent a couple of weeks on the forum and I have read a number comments with regards to some of the Trophy's capabilities.. Blue tooth, low speed handling, reliability issues, lack of resale in the US market, lack of accessories ae some of the examples... These get me a bit gun shy on pulling the trigger on a bike of this price range... Any input, comments, suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance...

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
Re: Trophy or Not to Trophy, that is the question...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 05:15:32 am »
First, welcome to the forum, and please make sure to introduce yourself in the new members section!  While I don't have any input for you on the Concours, it seems that the Japanese bikes lean more toward the 'sport' side of sport touring, and the Trophy & BMWs lean more toward the 'touring' side.  Your best bet is to take them each for a test ride, which, as you may have read, will cause you to immediately purchase a Trophy.  Seriously, it just happens that way.  If you're worried about reliability issues, look at a later 2014 and up model, as there's not much to worry about there.  Virtually every issue on the earlier models has already been addressed by Triumph, so I wouldn't worry much there either, but I don't know what you're looking at in order to give you better advice.  I have a 2012 build Trophy, and it's been incredibly reliable; I can't really think of any serious complaint at all, but if I were buying new today, I'd probably look at buying a 2015 model.  The Trophy just does so many things incredibly well, there are very few reasons I can think of not to buy one!  I'm not worried about resale value, as I'm not looking to sell it any time soon!  It comes very will equipped, and I'm not sure if there's anything I would want to add-on that's not currently available.  On top of that, this forum is the best you'll find anywhere, with honest answers to your questions!  Good luck on your search!

:028: 
STONEY

Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Blue TTSE
  • City / Town: Cambridge IL
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 05:32:58 am »
The deal breaker for me is that I believe that the Concours does not have cruise control; The Trophy does. Any modern sport touring machine should have this feature, in my opinion.
2014 - Trophy SE - Pacific Blue
1988 - Honda Goldwing (Sold)

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 09:07:36 am »
Hi and welcome to the Forum,   :401:  lots to learn on here and  sound advice,  there are still some good deals to be had , so take your time.  Good luck.... :821:
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

Offline Tankertruck

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Uxbridge, MA
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 11:10:31 am »
I owned a 2010 Concours and now own a 2013 Trophy.  I loved both bikes, but the Trophy is the one I would go to for 2-up.  It is more comfortable, smoother ride, linear motor, better upper-body wind protection, and has better low-speed handling.  I also think it's easier to balance and has a lower risk of dropping by accident (there is a Connie-Droppers-Anonymous group on a C14 forum).  I also got a very good deal on a barely used Trophy.  Yes, the trophy has had some teething pains, and there have been minor issues with mine (TPMS, head, Bluetooth, you listed them all), but I still like the bike overall more than the C14. 

However, the motor on the Concours (after a bit of modification) was just awesome - if you like that 4-cylinder rush its hard to beat.  As good as the Trophy's engine is, it doesn't have the same excitement that the C14 engine has, and at low speeds the C14 has a very smooth easy to ride motor feel as well.  After changing tires (to a PR3 55 rear iirc), the Connie handled very well, and was easier to ride quickly through long sweepers.  But low speed handling was terrible and their linked brakes were borderline dangerous in my mind.  I liked the analog dials though.  I had constant TPMS issues with the Connie (all taken care of under warrantee, but they kept returning), and there was no cruise control.  In addition, the bike felt much more top heavy to me than the Trophy.  I would be much more tired after riding the Connie for 8 hours 2-up than I have been on the trophy.  In the words of my brother-in-law, the C14 is really just a fat sport-bike, and he loved it.  However, he just rode my trophy, and now wants this bike instead of the Goldwing he was eye-balling.  Shrug

Parts and service are much cheaper in my area on the C14 (about 67% of the trophy).  There are more accessories for the C14 as well.  There was a super long, very inexpensive 8-total year warrantee through Kawasaki as well, and not through a 3rd-party (branded triumph) like the trophy.  Not sure if it still is around but that was a nice option. 

My wife much prefers the Trophy to the Concours, so that goes a long way.  Although we never got the passenger peg lowerers for her with the C14, which might have helped some of her issues.  The trophy is the first bike we have decided to take to the Cabot Trail next year, so that should say something about its riding comfort and its perceived reliability.   

If the C14 had cruise when I bought my Trophy, would I have bought the C14?  It would have been very close.  However, I would buy either (mildly) used.   There are good deals out there on either, and the cost delta new to used is significant (close to half if you include accessories). 

Both bikes are great though.  Ones a luxury touring bike (the trophy) and ones a sport touring bike (the C14).  You can't go wrong as long as you identify the areas you are willing to compromise (or don't care about) and pick the bike that aligns with your riding style.  I NEEDED cruise on my bike, so I had it between the FJR and the Trophy. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:19:07 am by Tankertruck »

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 11:43:21 am »
My wife and I have been touring two up for almost 40 years and the list of bikes we have owned is long. we have 34,000 miles on our less than two year old Trophy. If it was lost or destroyed today we would BOTH be at the dealership tomorrow to buy another.

Offline lemuriano

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Jacksonville, Fl
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 12:22:51 pm »
In my case, the Concours with it 16° forward lean angle was to much for my injure back, when compare to 0° on the Trophy. After over 24k happy miles of which 80% of then has been two up with zero issues, I would said that at least in my case, it past the test.  The TTSE with it's 526lbs of payload and plenty of room, is hard to beat riding two up.

As far as accessories, my top box was in need of a top rack to accommodate a few light items for my two up camping trips. In this case, the forum was kind enough to point me in the right direction.  :001:

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:32:37 pm by lemuriano »
An apprentice in life, perhaps with the spirit of a Café Racer
IBA #60953

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 01:19:48 pm »
*Originally Posted by PolterGeist [+]
New to the forum, have been reading for a few weeks now to try and learn all that I can... Here's my Story..

I'm looking at getting back into riding after taking time off to let my 5 kids grow up, that job is successfully completed and its time to get back in the saddle. I want to have a bike that does two up exceptionally well and as of now I've got it narrowed to the Trophy and the Concours. I am really impressed with both bikes, leaning towards the Trophy but have some concerns. I have spent a couple of weeks on the forum and I have read a number comments with regards to some of the Trophy's capabilities.. Blue tooth, low speed handling, reliability issues, lack of resale in the US market, lack of accessories ae some of the examples... These get me a bit gun shy on pulling the trigger on a bike of this price range... Any input, comments, suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance...

I have spent a couple of weeks on the forum and I have read a number comments with regards to some of the Trophy's capabilities..

Blue tooth

It can be hit or miss, but that's common with bluetooth devices.  They have improved, but still are not as capable as wired systems in bandwidth and reliability.  Some devices can be more problematic than others.

low speed handling

I think the Trophy's low speed handling is good.  Sport touring bikes all tend to be a little top heavy which affects low speed handling. You just have to be careful until you get a feel for the bike because it is easy to lean it over too far and reach that point where it's going to tip on you. I've been riding over 40 years and dropped a bike one time--a ST-1300 the first time I rode it.  Luckily I was at the front of my garage next to the plastic trash can and I just leaned the bike over on to the can. 

reliability issues

My 2013 bike has been very unreliable, but that seems to be the aberration and I wouldn't expect a '15 or '16 to have major reliability issues.

lack of resale in the US market

That's true, in fact I bought mine 9 months old for $13,500 and that's a big hit.  Sport touring bikes aren't big sellers in the US in general and the Trophy has only a small portion of that small market.  Find a good deal and that isn't an issue.

lack of accessories

The Trophy comes pretty well farkled from the factory so I don't think lack of accessories is a deal killer.  Sport touring bikes are a niche market and there aren't a lot of accessories for most of them (BMW excepted).  Heck, Honda never even offered a trunk for the ST-1300 in the US.  Triumph sells the most common accessories you'll want to install.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:21:45 pm by Ernest T »