Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Shimes  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: London
Shimes
« on: October 28, 2015, 02:02:18 pm »
 just clocked 20,800 miles and though I needed a full service on the SE.  I usually carry our the basic service myself but my time is not my own at the moment. So, fr a change I thought I would take it to an independant mechanic rather than an official Triumph dealer.  The mechanic in question is Triumph trained and use to work at my local dealership and I have always been happy with his work.

He rang to inform me that I need three shims renewed.  I have never needed new shims before and was wondering whether this is usual for a bike with only 20,800 miles.  Any thoughts.  :187:

Freeway Phil

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Re: Shimes
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 02:44:46 pm »
My TTSE needed 2 valves adjusted at the 20K which I had done at the dealer.   I just checked them myself, ironically - waiting on shims to arrive - and have 4 exhausts tight by 1-2 thousanths, 2 intakes right at the lower limit.  I plan to set them all as close to max as I can, as valves normally tighten up in use.  So maybe 20K down the road ( next year ) I'll not need to pull those darn cams.

My old '74 Kaw Z1 has needed adjustments from time to time in her 58K life, she's shim-over-bucket, easy peasie. 
All the threaded adjuster bikes I've had have needed a tweak from time to time.   
But the other shim-under-bucket bikes I've had, ST1300 over 35000 miles and KLR650 over 20000 miles never needed any valve clearances changed.

Message there??  No idea...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 04:01:51 pm »
ALL of my valves needed attention at the 20,000 check. All but two were tight and those two were in spec, but to the tight side. I was able to reuse a few shims on different valves, but the rest needed new shims. Short answer; yes it is normal to need shims especially on the first adjustment. The fact that all my valves were tight, one very tight,  just shows the importance of that first check up. My mechanic says that while future checks may require a few adjustments they won't be as extensive as the first because the valves will be seated much better. We shall see.

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 01:16:31 pm »
Seems totally normal on the Trophy. I've had to replace fewer shims on my Honda's for some reason, but the pattern seems the same.  The more miles on the engine, the fewer shims you should have to replace as once they are bedded in wear should be minimal.

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 05:11:56 pm »
When I finally managed to get my 20,000 service done at 21,600 it needed 1 x new shim then others adjusted up. As in a previous post about my service I was happy with the work done by my dealer.

seadog
seadog